The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I like earthquakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Rear Admiral

my uncle's in Sandy Eggo. I hope he didn't get too excited.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
How Long Did It Shake?
I would guess about 15 seconds? Can anybody confirm?

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Commander

I was eating my lunch at my desk at work when it started rolling... I was on the 5th floor looking out over the parking lots. That's what most people were doing... native Californians were more worried about missing or not being able to finish their meals. One guy was afraid he'd drop his food. I'm like, awe man... I was gettign comfortable and enjoying my meal I don't want to stand outside! The earthquake didn't feel dangerous enough for that... So I just stayed and looked at everybody else standing outside. The local news is milking this right now... they aren't talking about anything else.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

I can tell you exactly how long the quake lasted: 17 floors. As I had just gotten into the office bldg. elevator and doors shut when it started. By the time I reached the lobby -- elevator programmed to return to main floor with no stops -- it was over.

First time I was in a high rise during a quake (first in an elevator too!), and basically it swayed back and forth absorbing the shock by design. Not the usual sharp jolt you feel when the first wave hits if you're in a house or such.

This was a much milder quake in my part of the valley compared to the Northridge quake, which was much closer, longer and more violent.

Then again, if you were close to the epicenter of today's quake, it would have felt quite strong. The magnitude of quakes measure how strong the shaking is in terms of distance from the epicenter -- so if you're standing over the fault, it will feel very strong even if it's a 'moderate' one like today's.

In bigger quakes, that violent shaking is felt farther and farther away from the epicenter, as if you were standing on top of the rupture though you're far from it. I believe I read that today's quake had 1% the power released of the Northridge quake (each magnitude being 10x greater than the previous one, I think the formula goes).

Just glad that the damage was limited and no major injuries. Welcome to California - The Ride!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Admiral

I would have guestimated it at 10 seconds...but I'm pretty far from the epicenter so not a good judge.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Federation Councillor

After experincing 'quakes in Alaska, those I do not miss.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Commander

My building is close to LAX(which is along the coast) and one of the airports waterlines was opened by the shaking. The building felt it more than me... it was creaking and groaning before and long after I stopped feeling the shakes. The building has about 20 floors and I'm sure its unsettling for those on the upper floors. My sister is in Indiana and shes says she misses them. heehee True Californians. I was in south Orange County during the Northridge quake. Ironically it was the night or morning of our first Star Trek convention, in Anaheim. I remember running down the hall and falling on all fours... it was amazing. The ground was heaving in a circular and up and down motion.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
My building is close to LAX(which is along the coast) and one of the airports waterlines was opened by the shaking. The building felt it more than me... it was creaking and groaning before and long after I stopped feeling the shakes. The building has about 20 floors and I'm sure its unsettling for those on the upper floors. My sister is in Indiana and shes says she misses them. heehee True Californians. I was in south Orange County during the Northridge quake. Ironically it was the night or morning of our first Star Trek convention, in Anaheim. I remember running down the hall and falling on all fours... it was amazing. The ground was heaving in a circular and up and down motion.
I lived through an 7.9..scary stuff...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Lieutenant Commander

We've had a few tremors in the last few years in the UK.

Of course, I don't "like" them because they have the potential to cause damage and death.

But I do have to admit, that they are exciting.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

LOL HRH -- it's a great workout for one's adrenal gland! Free cardio and the ground does all the work.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!