The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New rules... Good? Bad?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Commander

Ok ok clearly we're talking about a battle of monolouges here right. tough call but I would say Picard one ups Kirk in the speech war.

-Free Enterprise
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Rear Admiral

"Maybe we weren't ment for paradise. Maybe we were meant to fight our way through, struggle, claw our way up, scratch for every inch of the way. maybe we can't stroll to the music of the lute, we must march to the sound of the drums."
Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Commander

wait wait we're actually doing this??? new thread is in order here!

-Free Enterprise
Old 07-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Vice Admiral

I think the new rules are really sad. I know there were times when discussions got heated. I was in the middle of them at times. I was surprised I was not warned a couple of times for things I said. Usually I realized things got a bit harsh and would make things right. I have been on both sides of "hot button" topics. I have been the liberal and the conservative depending on the subject.

I liked the fact we could discuss topics in a civil manner and learn from each other. No matter if you were for or against a subject we all got along. This idea that people have a right to have a good experience without possibly being offended by a subject is pure BS. Please. We have a right to our opinions and others have the same right. Life is about dealing with things that offend us and acting like adults. If never being offended was a right then we all would have to stay home and never talk to strangers.

I really wish we knew who spawned this new rule. Trekkies and Trekkers are a bright and open minded bunch of people. That is why I used to come to this site everyday. Now it seems like we have lost a major part of who we are outside of Trek.

I am truly disappointed in this new change in the rules. To those in control of this forum: Please reconsider.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think the new rules are really sad. I know there were times when discussions got heated. I was in the middle of them at times. I was surprised I was not warned a couple of times for things I said. Usually I realized things got a bit harsh and would make things right. I have been on both sides of "hot button" topics. I have been the liberal and the conservative depending on the subject.

I liked the fact we could discuss topics in a civil manner and learn from each other. No matter if you were for or against a subject we all got along. This idea that people have a right to have a good experience without possibly being offended by a subject is pure BS. Please. We have a right to our opinions and others have the same right. Life is about dealing with things that offend us and acting like adults. If never being offended was a right then we all would have to stay home and never talk to strangers.

I really wish we knew who spawned this new rule. Trekkies and Trekkers are a bright and open minded bunch of people. That is why I used to come to this site everyday. Now it seems like we have lost a major part of who we are outside of Trek.

I am truly disappointed in this new change in the rules. To those in control of this forum: Please reconsider.
well spoken...here here...listen to this man he speaks wisely

-Free Enterprise
Old 07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Vice Admiral

But things had stopped being civil... we were all doing really well being polite, and then a few bad apples had to come along and spoil it. Heck, we got several pages into the creationism thread before things got wonky, which is pretty good!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Midshipman

Does this mean that one of my favoite post on evloution is gone. That was good stuff, and I really like hearing what other people believe
Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Ensign

The changes that I've seen are fine, imo. This should be a Star Trek only forum. I remember reading a post on another forum saying, "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded." Kinda harsh, but true.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdss4 View Post
The changes that I've seen are fine, imo. This should be a Star Trek only forum. I remember reading a post on another forum saying, "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded." Kinda harsh, but true.
Then why have an off topic section at all. Its there its used take it for what it is!

-Free Enterprise