The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gary Mitchell.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

I always assumed the tombstone meant he was a pirate.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Ensign

I just hope that the movie doesn't try to explain every little mishap and mistake that appeared in all of trek, that would just get ridiculous.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I always assumed the tombstone meant he was a pirate.
Does the mean we have to sing "The Pirate Song?"
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Ensign

From what I know the R was a joke between Kirk and Mitchell back from the acadamy days and when they served on various starships with each other.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launchpad1986 View Post
From what I know the R was a joke between Kirk and Mitchell back from the acadamy days and when they served on various starships with each other.
Actually GR just forgot he had allready given Kirk a Middle intial when he came up with the T.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Rear Admiral

^^^
Or didn't think that people would make a big deal out of something that was only seen onscreen for a few seconds tops...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Since the pilot was not meant to be seen at all, I don't find it odd that it has really inconsistent things. It's next up on my "view and discuss" list and I keep stalling because it's just so damned non-standard.

I also think that Star Trek was the first show that fans went ape-crazy for. So, while now we expect there to be story continuity guards who scour the scripts for possible conflicts, then? Not so much. While I would never engage to do it, I'm sure a review of I Love Lucy would reveal all sorts of conflicts.

I can point to conflicts in one of my all time favorite TV shows: The Dick VanDyke Show. Dick VanDyke is left handed. In some episodes that is recognized (the one that jumps to mind is the one where he takes art lessons from the chick who comes on to him...the lesson is drawing what you feel and they have to switch positions because he's left handed) but in others it is avoided (I can't remember what the plot is, but there's an episode where he wants to explain something to Ritchie and brings out a chalkboard. He writes a series of letters {which relate to a story he tells} on the chalkboard using his right hand).

Star Trek happened on the fulcrum. I was made by people who didn't know that obsessive compulsive folks would record the shows and rip them to shreds. But, those people were there and did that.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Since the pilot was not meant to be seen at all, I don't find it odd that it has really inconsistent things. It's next up on my "view and discuss" list and I keep stalling because it's just so damned non-standard.

I also think that Star Trek was the first show that fans went ape-crazy for. So, while now we expect there to be story continuity guards who scour the scripts for possible conflicts, then? Not so much. While I would never engage to do it, I'm sure a review of I Love Lucy would reveal all sorts of conflicts.

I can point to conflicts in one of my all time favorite TV shows: The Dick VanDyke Show. Dick VanDyke is left handed. In some episodes that is recognized (the one that jumps to mind is the one where he takes art lessons from the chick who comes on to him...the lesson is drawing what you feel and they have to switch positions because he's left handed) but in others it is avoided (I can't remember what the plot is, but there's an episode where he wants to explain something to Ritchie and brings out a chalkboard. He writes a series of letters {which relate to a story he tells} on the chalkboard using his right hand).

Star Trek happened on the fulcrum. I was made by people who didn't know that obsessive compulsive folks would record the shows and rip them to shreds. But, those people were there and did that.
But isn't that part of the fun for us?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Since the pilot was not meant to be seen at all...
Who says the pilot was not meant to be seen at all? And which pilot are you talking about? If it's the ''first pilot'', it was likely the most expensive pilot at the time and most certainly was not destined for the shelf -- and of course later on found a new life in an envelope episode.

As for the ''second pilot'', that was most certainly meant to be seen/aired and was. Fortunately the sets and other hardware were still around to be utilized for a second ''try'' at being picked up.

These days ''pilots'' are indeed shot ''on the cheap'' and are not expected to be aired. They are much more disposable than ''the old days.'' If and once the show is ''picked up,'' another ''pilot'' is then made and becomes the ''official'' series pilot.

I'm speaking from having spent ('endured'') countless pilot seasons in L.A. when a mass pilgrimage from all corners of the U.S. -- of stage moms and their wunderkind -- all converge on the Oakwood Apartments in Toluca Lake, where I lived.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

No, Summer Stone, pilots at that time were not meant to be aired. That's really all detailed in a bunch of books I read when I was in Jr. High... THAT pilot, specifically, was not intended to be aired. Note the fairly drastic changes made in clothing and technology between the pilot and the first aired episode. Roddenberry ran out of money and was forced to air the pilot even though the technology was inferior and the uniforms completely different. The effect was very, very confusing for those of us watching--which is, I'm sure, why he didn't want to do it.

Really...seriously..one week the women are all in microminis and the next the women are in pants? That's intentional? Nope. (since it seems like you didn't watch the show when it aired originally, I'll mention that Where No Man Has Gone Before was aired in the third week of the first season after The Man Trap and Charlie X)

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!