The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gary Mitchell.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
True, Gary was important to Kirk pre TOS, but the number of storylines that can be incorporated into a movie that may very well be spanning a couple of decades in time will have to be evaluated carefully. In TOS, Mitchell was forgotten by the 3rd week of the first season and he is far less crucial to the development of the current characters' relationships. You've got 2-2 1/2 hours to develop Kirk-Spock-McCoy etc, plus bring in Nero and a future Spock. I think if Mitchell is in the mix, it will probably be like the character of Biggs in Star Wars in relation to Luke. It was meaningful then only if you read the book and knew the deeper story between them.
Question you have to ask, is he important to the film in other than a passing mention?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
True, Gary was important to Kirk pre TOS, but the number of storylines that can be incorporated into a movie that may very well be spanning a couple of decades in time will have to be evaluated carefully. In TOS, Mitchell was forgotten by the 3rd week of the first season and he is far less crucial to the development of the current characters' relationships. You've got 2-2 1/2 hours to develop Kirk-Spock-McCoy etc, plus bring in Nero and a future Spock. I think if Mitchell is in the mix, it will probably be like the character of Biggs in Star Wars in relation to Luke. It was meaningful then only if you read the book and knew the deeper story between them.
I think the "Biggs" analogy is perfect. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of people who saw Star Wars had little idea of the significance of Biggs and the movie was not disrupted in the least by the throw away lines, but those who did know had a more enriching experience.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I think the "Biggs" analogy is perfect. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of people who saw Star Wars had little idea of the significance of Biggs and the movie was not disrupted in the least by the throw away lines, but those who did know had a more enriching experience.
Not a bad analogy.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Good point, although there may be one significant difference in that Biggs was essentially cut out of the movie and became a passing reference due to editing. It would have a different effect if Gary were written in as a passing reference, if only to be made clearer in his inclusion by design. Just a thought.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Good point, although there may be one significant difference in that Biggs was essentially cut out of the movie and became a passing reference due to editing. It would have a different effect if Gary were written in as a passing reference, if only to be made clearer in his inclusion by design. Just a thought.
True, but the end result is the same, a refeence only big time fans would get.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Right...since the book was released before the movie (what a concept!) a lot of us did, in fact, go "Hey, why's Biggs got such a little part?" yet, I'm quite sure my parents (who really liked the movie....though, they oddly did not share my need to see it 13 times that summer) didn't even register that there was a "Biggs".

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I think this has been touched on in many threads...the general feeling seems to be if Gary shows up it will be as a quick mention that non-fans won't get. Like, Kirk would say to a passing cadet "Hey, Gary"...and we would all just about wet ourselves in excitement because OMG!!! That's GARY MITCHELL!!! but our family members would not even notice it happened because it was such a throw away....
For me, this makes a lot of sense. Most people are not as familiar with ST as most of us on here. To add Gary, or anything like it in passing, is candy for those who know, but wouldn't be important to story. And keeping that vein going makes it work for everyone.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Ensign

How good of a friend was he really? He didn't even know Kirks middle name. LOL

Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
How good of a friend was he really? He didn't even know Kirks middle name. LOL

That always bugged me...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Rear Admiral

It was a pilot episode!!!!!!!! Maybe "R" stood for a nickname they had, or that Kirk was often "R" rated!