The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Trek DADT policy?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusapartner View Post
really, is this true?

then this may at least partially explain why the straight guy I met doing drag seemed comfortable doing it. I was puzzled at the time. interesting to find a new insight!
The most famous example is Ed Wood, the B-Movie director. He was very streight, but felt more comfy and normal in women's clothing.

Personally, cross dressing bothers me not.

In fact until the 20th century it was not uncommon for little boys and girls to wear the same clothes until about age 6-7, hand me downs.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

It's true.
It seems a lot of straight vanilla folk have problems with this.

Being a transvestite (TV) has little to nothing to do with someone's orientation. It's simply a way some people like to "get closer" to their favorite gender. Sort of the same impluse that some primative peoples had, when they dressed up as their god and deities. Transvestites are doing this because they worship women and all things femme.

Being a Drag Queen is quite different. Here, the point is to mimic female images in pop culture, and entertain people with either theatrics, or clown-like humor. Almost all drag queens are gay.

Transgender folk (TG) are those who feel that they have somehow been born into the wrong gender. They can and do cross dress, to try and make the exterrior match what they feel inside. They may or may not be in a state of transition from the sex they were born with, to the one they feel actually reflects their true selves. They may or may not be gay... (I know several men who transitioned to female, but became lesbian, rather than straight.)

It can be confusing, sure. But if you want a tip on how to relate to any cross dressed person, the rules are actually pretty easy... This is one case where you should judge a book by it's cover. Simply treat them as their female persona.
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
It's true.
It seems a lot of straight vanilla folk have problems with this.

Being a transvestite (TV) has little to nothing to do with someone's orientation. It's simply a way some people like to "get closer" to their favorite gender. Sort of the same impluse that some primative peoples had, when they dressed up as their god and deities. Transvestites are doing this because they worship women and all things femme.

Being a Drag Queen is quite different. Here, the point is to mimic female images in pop culture, and entertain people with either theatrics, or clown-like humor. Almost all drag queens are gay.

Transgender folk (TG) are those who feel that they have somehow been born into the wrong gender. They can and do cross dress, to try and make the exterrior match what they feel inside. They may or may not be in a state of transition from the sex they were born with, to the one they feel actually reflects their true selves. They may or may not be gay... (I know several men who transitioned to female, but became lesbian, rather than straight.)

It can be confusing, sure. But if you want a tip on how to relate to any cross dressed person, the rules are actually pretty easy... This is one case where you should judge a book by it's cover. Simply treat them as their female persona.
Fan, great definitions! Yes, you have the treatment right...never learn the hard way.....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
trekkie4christ's Avatar
trekkie4christ trekkie4christ is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Would you mind to explain how wearing a skirt or a dress is connected to sexual preferences ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusapartner View Post
but the most interesting question is one that Horatio just raised, what does this picture have to do with the discussion of DADT?
C'mon, guys. I was just trying to lighten the atmosphere a bit. Have a laugh at the man in the "skant".
__________________
Before the world was created, the Word already existed. The Word was the source of life, and this life brought light to mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never put it out.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

I'd no more laugh at a guy in a kulat than I would laugh at an ancient roman, or the powdered wigs our founding fathers wore... fashion is something that has no real metric, and mankind has followed it down who knows how many weird, and ridiculous roads...

There will come a day when someone (probably schoolkids) in the far distant future, look at photos of people in jeans and T-shirts, and think that what we're wearing is probably the stupidest thing they could imagine... mass produced clothing of natural fiber, that has relatively little color, comfort, or utility...

If I'm going to critisize the kulat for anything, it would be the same critisizim I have of all the early TNG uniforms: WHERE THE HECK ARE THE POCKETS?
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post

If I'm going to critisize the kulat for anything, it would be the same critisizim I have of all the early TNG uniforms: WHERE THE HECK ARE THE POCKETS?
Now you know, why the guy on the photo looks so disapponted.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Now you know, why the guy on the photo looks so disapponted.
ROFL!!!!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
jerhanner's Avatar
jerhanner jerhanner is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deep in the 100 Acre Wood
Posts: 3,905
Default

At least they weren't culottes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
At least they weren't culottes.
But does it have pockets?
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.