The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Trek DADT policy?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusapartner View Post
really, is this true?

then this may at least partially explain why the straight guy I met doing drag seemed comfortable doing it. I was puzzled at the time. interesting to find a new insight!
The most famous example is Ed Wood, the B-Movie director. He was very streight, but felt more comfy and normal in women's clothing.

Personally, cross dressing bothers me not.

In fact until the 20th century it was not uncommon for little boys and girls to wear the same clothes until about age 6-7, hand me downs.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It's true.
It seems a lot of straight vanilla folk have problems with this.

Being a transvestite (TV) has little to nothing to do with someone's orientation. It's simply a way some people like to "get closer" to their favorite gender. Sort of the same impluse that some primative peoples had, when they dressed up as their god and deities. Transvestites are doing this because they worship women and all things femme.

Being a Drag Queen is quite different. Here, the point is to mimic female images in pop culture, and entertain people with either theatrics, or clown-like humor. Almost all drag queens are gay.

Transgender folk (TG) are those who feel that they have somehow been born into the wrong gender. They can and do cross dress, to try and make the exterrior match what they feel inside. They may or may not be in a state of transition from the sex they were born with, to the one they feel actually reflects their true selves. They may or may not be gay... (I know several men who transitioned to female, but became lesbian, rather than straight.)

It can be confusing, sure. But if you want a tip on how to relate to any cross dressed person, the rules are actually pretty easy... This is one case where you should judge a book by it's cover. Simply treat them as their female persona.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
It's true.
It seems a lot of straight vanilla folk have problems with this.

Being a transvestite (TV) has little to nothing to do with someone's orientation. It's simply a way some people like to "get closer" to their favorite gender. Sort of the same impluse that some primative peoples had, when they dressed up as their god and deities. Transvestites are doing this because they worship women and all things femme.

Being a Drag Queen is quite different. Here, the point is to mimic female images in pop culture, and entertain people with either theatrics, or clown-like humor. Almost all drag queens are gay.

Transgender folk (TG) are those who feel that they have somehow been born into the wrong gender. They can and do cross dress, to try and make the exterrior match what they feel inside. They may or may not be in a state of transition from the sex they were born with, to the one they feel actually reflects their true selves. They may or may not be gay... (I know several men who transitioned to female, but became lesbian, rather than straight.)

It can be confusing, sure. But if you want a tip on how to relate to any cross dressed person, the rules are actually pretty easy... This is one case where you should judge a book by it's cover. Simply treat them as their female persona.
Fan, great definitions! Yes, you have the treatment right...never learn the hard way.....
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Would you mind to explain how wearing a skirt or a dress is connected to sexual preferences ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusapartner View Post
but the most interesting question is one that Horatio just raised, what does this picture have to do with the discussion of DADT?
C'mon, guys. I was just trying to lighten the atmosphere a bit. Have a laugh at the man in the "skant".
Before the world was created, the Word already existed. The Word was the source of life, and this life brought light to mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never put it out.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I'd no more laugh at a guy in a kulat than I would laugh at an ancient roman, or the powdered wigs our founding fathers wore... fashion is something that has no real metric, and mankind has followed it down who knows how many weird, and ridiculous roads...

There will come a day when someone (probably schoolkids) in the far distant future, look at photos of people in jeans and T-shirts, and think that what we're wearing is probably the stupidest thing they could imagine... mass produced clothing of natural fiber, that has relatively little color, comfort, or utility...

If I'm going to critisize the kulat for anything, it would be the same critisizim I have of all the early TNG uniforms: WHERE THE HECK ARE THE POCKETS?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post

If I'm going to critisize the kulat for anything, it would be the same critisizim I have of all the early TNG uniforms: WHERE THE HECK ARE THE POCKETS?
Now you know, why the guy on the photo looks so disapponted.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Now you know, why the guy on the photo looks so disapponted.
ROFL!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Vice Admiral

At least they weren't culottes.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
At least they weren't culottes.
But does it have pockets?