The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > TOS on HD DVD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by bintrepid81 View Post
I think they did a great job. Having been one of those people that grew up with the VHS tapes I'm thrilled to see these all cleaned up and new special effects shots to go more along with the rest of the series. Its like tying it all together in a way you know? I can't say I'm thrilled with the price of these and with the format war still ongoing but I'll be trading in my older DVD versions to help pay for it. I'll be very dissappointed if they switch formats though. Don't want to spend more money than I have to. Paramount is making a killing on Star Trek right now.
Just a note of caution. The HD-DVD doesn't have the original episodes with original special effects on them as an option. If you get rid of the old ones, you won't have them as they originally aired. I don't know if that's important to you at all, but I thought I'd mention it.

Oh, anyone who has the set enjoy the tour of the Enterprise?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Ensign

I like the remastered episodes that I've seen on tv. Even so, I just spent over 300 bucks for the original release of Star Trek on DVD. I'm not gonna do it again. I'll just tivo the remastered ones...thats close enough for me.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimetrekker View Post
What do you think of the Star Trek Season One on HD DVD? I've got them and the picture quality and sound quality (love the intro theme and the whoosing Enterprise) are just amazing. However, I'm sure many don't approve of the changes made with the remastered episodes. Will you get TOS in HD DVD?
I got the HD-DVD set for Christmas. I was very impressed with the picture quality. I don't think the new effects detracted from the story in the least. I think that if Gene Roddenberry was still alive, he would be very glad to see the show like this. I think that if he could have done the show that way to begin with, he would have. They didn't really change anything in the episodes, except to correct some minor errors, like Scotty's phaser not emitting a beam in the episode "The Naked Time" in the original release. That always bothered me, glad to see that corrected. I know there is no real way to convert the show to widescreen, but I wish that there was a way.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Ensign

Saw them. Loved them. Felt like I was watching the original series for the first time again. Worth it for that feeling alone.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Ensign

Damnit, Jim. I finally made up my mind to buy a PS3, but I did it after the promo to get 5 free BR discs with purchase ended. So now I'm in a holding pattern, hoping they'll bring the promo back soon, like around tax time. For all that money, I want something extra.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Ensign

HD DVD and Blu ray are much too expensive to buy. Beside that I've all Star Trek on DVD (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ent) So when I buy this remastered episode, I've double episodes.

Not mentioned the absurd high price they are asking for one season. It's just money making!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Midshipman

I'll buy the Blue-Ray version if they release one.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Midshipman

Those that bought a Toshiba HDDVD player or other system, that sent in for the free 5 movies of free TOS Phaser Remote--Great News!

OK, I called 1-800-405-7520 and found I was in their system and it showed my order for 5 free movies as "ready", which the phone rep claimed means it's being configured to ship soon, most likely getting packed, shipping labeled, going out regular USPS.
Then I called 1-800-739-7979 to check on my free Phaser remote. Again, I was in their system, and was told it had indeed shipped out on 2/8 via UPS, and I asked for the tracking #!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, captscarlet. I was wondering when I'd get my discs as well.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Midshipman

i have the series on vhs as well but its nothing like the hd remasterd version. which id like to get on blu-ray