The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > TOS on HD DVD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Ensign

I'm looking to buy a Blu-Ray player this year. I have TOS on DVD, so I'm in no rush to spend a ton of money for it on BR. When it does come out on BR (and I'm confident it will), I'll be enticed but I won't need them.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Ensign

Not going to convert my DVDs to HD anytime soon. Not unless they do some kind of customer discount program, like "bring in your DVDs and get back BRs (for a minor exchange fee)". Not going to pay twice for the same content. I'm not the type for double-dipping.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

To those planning to buy either high definition disc player in the future, here's a handy tip: while you ponder all the HD features machines have, also check into tech-expert reviews on them and pay attention to how well the player plays back standard DVDs.

The better your future Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player upconverts a standard DVD, the longer you can wait to upgrade your disc library. If you standard DVDs had good digital conversions, they will look very good on your high-def player/TV -- not true HD of course, but they'll look much better than they did on your standard playback system.

So do a little extra research and save yourself a lot of money rebuying your discs in hi-def format right away.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Get a BR/HD DVD combo player its the safe bet.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSJim View Post
I have owned the entire series on vhs, and the first round of dvds (the orange cases) and bought the hd dvd player just to watch the remastered shows. I think the remastered stuff just blows away the old crap. Though I do wish they would have done more with the digital effects, But I think they stopped where they did to keep the purists from losing their minds. the cleaned up images, color correction and new ship shots have made it well worth the money for me.
Same with me, and I add the analog audio cassette, I took with my little recorder in front ov the TV in the '70's

I love the remastered Versions and also would have wished for more courage, but they are with love and well made.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADBAXTER View Post
Got £300 for me then ? lol

HardyCofE
Old 02-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADBAXTER View Post
Except that they cost more than buying two seperate players!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSJim View Post
I have owned the entire series on vhs, and the first round of dvds (the orange cases) and bought the hd dvd player just to watch the remastered shows. I think the remastered stuff just blows away the old crap. Though I do wish they would have done more with the digital effects, But I think they stopped where they did to keep the purists from losing their minds. the cleaned up images, color correction and new ship shots have made it well worth the money for me.
I agree completely. I was just blown away by the special effects shots but also the clarity of the episodes. It was like they were brand new, made last week. Amazing.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
To those planning to buy either high definition disc player in the future, here's a handy tip: while you ponder all the HD features machines have, also check into tech-expert reviews on them and pay attention to how well the player plays back standard DVDs.

The better your future Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player upconverts a standard DVD, the longer you can wait to upgrade your disc library. If you standard DVDs had good digital conversions, they will look very good on your high-def player/TV -- not true HD of course, but they'll look much better than they did on your standard playback system.

So do a little extra research and save yourself a lot of money rebuying your discs in hi-def format right away.
I just got some birthday gift cards that would make a big dent in purchasing a player. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Ensign

I think they did a great job. Having been one of those people that grew up with the VHS tapes I'm thrilled to see these all cleaned up and new special effects shots to go more along with the rest of the series. Its like tying it all together in a way you know? I can't say I'm thrilled with the price of these and with the format war still ongoing but I'll be trading in my older DVD versions to help pay for it. I'll be very dissappointed if they switch formats though. Don't want to spend more money than I have to. Paramount is making a killing on Star Trek right now.