The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What about phasers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
*Assumes Mind Meld Postion*

"Your mind to my mind, my thoughts to your thoughts...think of the Wynonna Concert.."
Yes, yes -- it's coming back to me as clear as if yesterday...

The warm summer heat is no match for the breeze floating in off Lake Chautauqua, cooling the covered outside arena. It only holds five hundred, historic for the construction era of the Chautauqua Institute. The smell of water and the verdant grass, which has recently been mowed, overwhelminlgy intoxicating.

I can see her. My gods, I can see her. Such a beautiful, buxom babe. Her flame red hair plays perfectly off the regal purple dress clinging tightly to her curvacious thighs. She's holding her microphone firmly, but not too firm. Her right hand is out at her side, fingers extending commandingly. The orchestral accompinemant rising with her crescendo.

She's singing to me... I know it.

*the memory fades*

Don't ever do that again!

Last edited by RonSalon : 09-04-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm very interested to see how they modernize all the gadgets. I wonder what items will get overhauls? The TOS tricorder could use a modern look, the phaser not as much.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry if this is just trivial....but every time I see this topic I think "well, yes...they should have phasers."

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Captain

If this is indeed a reboot, how do we know they won't do as Battlestar Galactica did and eschew directed-energy weapons altogether in favor of guns and missiles?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Because Orci is a huge Trek fan and as he's stated, his relatives would kill him if he did anything to destroy canon...

I'm good with that...death threats from relatives ring as BIG to me....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Commander

I think Chris was trying to get at the effect of the phaser beam, rather than the look of the phaser itself. Common sense says that they will not have the cheesy looking beams of the 60's, and vaporizations will look like TNG vaporizaitons, or the vaporization used on Enterprise.

Keep this in mind too: if a directed energy weapon, like a phaser, is hot enough to punch a hole in somoene, it is also likely to be hot enough to cauterize the wound. So that TNG episode with the Ferengi scientist who develops the metaphasic shield and then Beverly steals the shuttle and shoots a hole in that one guy (I'm too lazy to look up the title right now) got it right.

However, on the stun setting, I don't much more could really be done than what is already being done.

All that being said: I think these phaser beams will look more like laser beams than did the beams in TOS.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
Yes, yes -- it's coming back to me as clear as if yesterday...

The warm summer heat is no match for the breeze floating in off Lake Chautauqua, cooling the covered outside arena. It only holds five hundred, historic for the construction era of the Chautauqua Institute. The smell of water and the verdant grass, which has recently been mowed, overwhelminlgy intoxicating.

I can see her. My gods, I can see her. Such a beautiful, buxom babe. Her flame red hair plays perfectly off the regal purple dress clinging tightly to her curvacious thighs. She's holding her microphone firmly, but not too firm. Her right hand is out at her side, fingers extending commandingly. The orchestral accompinemant rising with her crescendo.

She's singing to me... I know it.

*the memory fades*

Don't ever do that again!
Well Ron normally I would never do that...but after seeing that pic...that pic did for me ehat that pic of Zach did for you...grrrrrr!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Captain

I think the phaser effects from ST: Phase II are pretty good. I would be happy to see something like that on the big screen. My fav color is blue so I'm partial to that effect.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
I think the phaser effects from ST: Phase II are pretty good. I would be happy to see something like that on the big screen. My fav color is blue so I'm partial to that effect.
Same here!