The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > R. Orci & A. Kurtzman Interview May Not Have Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
Never watched/downloaded an episode of New Voyages. How is it?
I think it is very well done for a fan project. The charters are very recognizable, and the feects are pretty darnned good!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I'm gay - and to be honest, I don't see a need for it(from a social statement point of view). It'd be nice to have and very easy to work into this movie, but why? I'm secure in my sexuality and secure in my own skin, I don't need someone telling me "it's all right to be gay" - I know it is.

As for the Trek point of view, there I see a need for it. If we are to believe humanity will eventually wander the stars like this, there will be NO PLACE for any prejudice whatsoever. What seems strange and backwards to us might very well be a way of life on some planet in System B-19. It should've been done a "long time ago" from current Trek. Obviously gay people exist in Trek, but we've never seen them, so we don't know how they'd be treated.
I wonder how you could make such a statement: "I don't see a need for it."

When straight people understand us as integral part of society they will begin to see us as people with feelings just like their own. The point of having diversity in movies, and for that matter all media, is because it shows our similarities rather than our differences. Do you think the straight guy next to you at the theatre would feel differently about you if a gay guy saved the Enterprise? He could and most would eventually.

I couldn't be more happy that you are secure in yourself, but that really isn't the reason for gay people being in any movie. It's for them... When we see ourselves in others we not only begin to understand what it's like to be them, but how we are like them.

How many times can you honestly say you've seen a accurate protrayal of an average gay man? Was it in The Birdcage? How about Oscar nominated, Brokeback Mountain. Or perhaps it was that movie, Interview with a Vampire. We are either uber masculinized, feminized or demonized. Do you think that helps them understand us. Fear can be an overwhelming emotion and that is what drives their hatred. I am none of the above. I am average. I go to work, do the dishes and the laundry. And after that is done I take out the garbage.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Lieutenant

I see your points, hadn't really thought of it that way.

I just think, if people are going to hate, they'll hate anyway, Star Trek or not. If people are not going to hate, they won't, Star Trek or not.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
I wonder how you could make such a statement: "I don't see a need for it."

When straight people understand us as integral part of society they will begin to see us as people with feelings just like their own. The point of having diversity in movies, and for that matter all media, is because it shows our similarities rather than our differences. Do you think the straight guy next to you at the theatre would feel differently about you if a gay guy saved the Enterprise? He could and most would eventually.

I couldn't be more happy that you are secure in yourself, but that really isn't the reason for gay people being in any movie. It's for them... When we see ourselves in others we not only begin to understand what it's like to be them, but how we are like them.

How many times can you honestly say you've seen a accurate protrayal of an average gay man? Was it in The Birdcage? How about Oscar nominated, Brokeback Mountain. Or perhaps it was that movie, Interview with a Vampire. We are either uber masculinized, feminized or demonized. Do you think that helps them understand us. Fear can be an overwhelming emotion and that is what drives their hatred. I am none of the above. I am average. I go to work, do the dishes and the laundry. And after that is done I take out the garbage.
I felt the "gay" part in BM was irrelevant. It could have been any 2 people in love. It just happened ot be them, as it is in real life.

I think being "GLBT" or "Streight" are just labels. We are all people! My gay male freinds have never hit on me, beacuse they are just my pals, like my female freinds, for the same reason.

When people on both sides of this issue feel more like you and I do Ron, then maybe we can get past silly labels.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I'm gay - and to be honest, I don't see a need for it(from a social statement point of view). It'd be nice to have and very easy to work into this movie, but why? I'm secure in my sexuality and secure in my own skin, I don't need someone telling me "it's all right to be gay" - I know it is.

As for the Trek point of view, there I see a need for it. If we are to believe humanity will eventually wander the stars like this, there will be NO PLACE for any prejudice whatsoever. What seems strange and backwards to us might very well be a way of life on some planet in System B-19. It should've been done a "long time ago" from current Trek. Obviously gay people exist in Trek, but we've never seen them, so we don't know how they'd be treated.
I agree with that, it shouldn't be 'It's all right', it should be a matter of fact expression without sensation or fuss, just depicting a normal relationship with two people of the same sex, and if Trek is to be all about a future where no prejudice exists then it can't ignore it forever. It was brave enough to air inter-racial kissing in the 1960s, so there's no reason not to today.