The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > R. Orci & A. Kurtzman Interview May Not Have Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
I'm kind of excited to see it. I hope it is done well.
The preview I saw on the site looks it will done well, the couple will be protrayed as normal same sex couple, not like Jack from "Will and Grace."
Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
The preview I saw on the site looks it will done well, the couple will be protrayed as normal same sex couple, not like Jack from "Will and Grace."
Do you have a link to the preview?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Federation Councillor

I kind of agree with the article that if Trek is to be a show which showcases the positive effects of diversity and accepting others then this is something that really ought to be dealt with in some fashion, again we know it's not going to be about depicting actual sex - Trek generally shies away from that - but there is nothing wrong in showing two adults of the same sex in a proper relationship. It is odd that Trek has never truly tackled that (that old 5th season TNG episode tried but botched it by having a 'cure' available - what political message is that sending out - and 'the host' only very briefly touched over the matter at the very end of that episode). My own opinion is that if certain subject matter makes some people refuse to buy a ticket then fine, don't buy one. Everyone has a choice in the matter.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant

No problems here. If the filmmakers want to touch on this subject it would be their right. Also, it would not be out-of-line with some of the other social issues and themes Roddenbery introduced to the public through the Trek universe.

If we are now in the 21st century and have come as far as we have and are now looking forward into the 23rd (and 24th) centuries one could make the assumption that we [the human race] have the ability to finally get over our prejudices and be accepting of the chosen lifestyle of others.

However, I do agree with others on this post that the filmmakers need to tread lightly in the portrayal of such a relationship as their film could become a lightning rod for controversy (I'm sorry to say but I'm afraid it would be so).

I am happy for George Takei and his husband. They look really happy and I would never begrudge anyone of that.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Federation Councillor

But diversity is what we are all about, it is our greatest strength, and aceptance is the key to the future.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

If this new film weren't a total reboot of the franchise, replacing an entirely new cast to play very well known characters in an all new approach, I'm sure JJ, O & K could easily have worked in something about a gay relationship.

We'll have no way of knowing if there were such ideas, but possibly the studio nixed in in this first risky, crucial film just to avoid the controversy, as noted. Since the creative team who have commented on it seem open to including it in a second film, when all this backstory and existing character development is off the script's back, the prospect seems likely then.

Thing is, no matter how it happens, one group of people won't be happy, so it will just end up switching from one 'controversy' to another.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
If this new film weren't a total reboot of the franchise, replacing an entirely new cast to play very well known characters in an all new approach, I'm sure JJ, O & K could easily have worked in something about a gay relationship.

We'll have no way of knowing if there were such ideas, but possibly the studio nixed in in this first risky, crucial film just to avoid the controversy, as noted. Since the creative team who have commented on it seem open to including it in a second film, when all this backstory and existing character development is off the script's back, the prospect seems likely then.

Thing is, no matter how it happens, one group of people won't be happy, so it will just end up switching from one 'controversy' to another.
There's allways Trek 12.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Federation Councillor

There will always be a group of people who aren't happy. The question is do the scriptwriters be cowed by them or take the ideas behind Trek and expand them and take the hit they will get regardless?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Put it this way: I don't think the screenwriters cowtowed to pressure not to include gay characters, since they're not the ones funding the film.

The writers make creative decisions. The studio makes business decisions.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Put it this way: I don't think the screenwriters cowtowed to pressure not to include gay characters, since they're not the ones funding the film.

The writers make creative decisions. The studio makes business decisions.
Well said Mission!