The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > R. Orci & A. Kurtzman Interview May Not Have Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default R. Orci & A. Kurtzman Interview May Not Have Read

Title of the article:No gay character in new Star Trek movie. Perhaps the sequel however.

Read it here: http://www.afterelton.com/blog/micha...ar-trek-sequel

I'm not trying to get anyone's panties in a bunch nor do anything to anyone's panties. It's just an article. I found it and since we are ten percent of the Star Trek fanbase, I thought it might be relevant. Don't read it if you don't want to.

IDIC

Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Vice Admiral

SOOOO Sad!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh yes, it is relevant!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Commander

Unless handles correctly, it would come over as Forced or spurred by Activism.

I like the idea, but it has to fit in with a general Actuiona-Adventure story, and be accessible to a PG-13 Audience.

Star Trek isn't about sexuality, so chances are remote that there is a story that would:

a) Be accessible to a broad enough PG-13 Audience to make money
b) Include an integral gay character
c) Fit in with the Action-Adventure genre
d) Avoid stepping over the line from Commentary to Preaching

The diversity is an occasional theme, and is displayed by the basic crew complement, but is not something that is of primary value as entertainment.

A Star Trek TV series has more leeway, since it can tell more diverse stories, and the fact that Character X is gay could be woven into an episode's plot, or be casually referenced during a story arc.

A movie has the problem that just about everything in the movie has to be about the plot of the movie, and it is an expensive proposition to introduce a gay character as an afterthought, or thrown in because it is possible.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

IMHO it's really hard to have a "gay" character without that being a central part of the story. Most movies that do have this make it a point to show kissing and touching. The best example of a how a "real" gay person is would be George Takei, no one knew for 40 YEARS that he was gay.

Feel free to look at my Trek stuff (including Bedroom, prop replicas and STTE) available HERE
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
Title of the article:No gay character in new Star Trek movie. Perhaps the sequel however.

Read it here: http://www.afterelton.com/blog/micha...ar-trek-sequel

I'm not trying to get anyone's panties in a bunch nor do anything to anyone's panties. It's just an article. I found it and since we are ten percent of the Star Trek fanbase, I thought it might be relevant. Don't read it if you don't want to.

IDIC

Sorry, folks. I know you're not going to like what I have to say, but I don't beleive in political correctness. I just tell the truth.

Whether you agree or disagree with the issue of homosexuality, the truth is that our society is still heatedly divided on this subject and so that's why this was a wise move. To do otherwise would have divided the audience and would have only done damage to the project as a whole. The public's perceptive foreknowledge of the movie would have been overshadowed by the issue of this character, and the political attention brought to it would have put everything else in the back ground, thereby taking away from the movie itself, and probably ticket sales as a result.

I don't know if it's this way over the entire country, but where I come from, people are very offended by the prospect of being taken advantage of when somebody uses their hard-earned, well-spent money to buy a movie ticket for the purpose of what would be percieved as feeding them hidden political messages. That would have most certainly kept some people from buying movie tickets and this movie needs all the audience it can get.

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 07-16-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
Sorry, folks. I know you're not going to like what I have to say, but I don't beleive in political correctness. I just tell the truth.

Whether you agree or disagree with the issue of homosexuality, the truth is that our society is still heatedly divided on this subject and so that's why this was a wise move. To do otherwise would have divided the audience and would have only done damage to the project as a whole. The public's perceptive foreknowledge of the movie would have been overshadowed by the issue of this character, and the political attention brought to it would have put everything else in the back ground, thereby taking away movie itself, and probably ticket sales as a result.

I don't know if it's this way over the entire country, but where I come from, people are very offended by the prospect of being taken advantage of when somebody uses their hard-earned, well-spent money to buy a movie ticket for the purpose of what would be percieved as feeding them hidden political messages. That would have most certainly kept some people from buying movie tickets and this movie needs all the audience it can get.
Newsflash = That's been going on in Star Trek in one form or another for 40 years now.

They wouldn't even have to make a point of it per se. Just something in gest.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Unless handles correctly, it would come over as Forced or spurred by Activism.

I like the idea, but it has to fit in with a general Actuiona-Adventure story, and be accessible to a PG-13 Audience.
Why couldn't it be PG-13 and have a gay character? They aren't implying that there would be gay sex. There are straight characters in it too. No difference, or at least shouldn't be.

Quote:
Star Trek isn't about sexuality,
Doesn't have to be, but there was plenty of it in it anyway.

Quote:
so chances are remote that there is a story that would:

a) Be accessible to a broad enough PG-13 Audience to make money
b) Include an integral gay character
c) Fit in with the Action-Adventure genre
d) Avoid stepping over the line from Commentary to Preaching
I'm not sure you're giving the writer's (or the idea) enough credit.

Quote:
The diversity is an occasional theme, and is displayed by the basic crew complement, but is not something that is of primary value as entertainment.
So there shouldn't be any problem then if they had chosen to include a gay character. They didn't say there would be a "gay" story to it.

I'm not saying I disagree with the writer's intentions or anything, just some of the explanations given on here with people looking too deep into things.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Well I agree that if not this film, then the next one.

But New Voyages/Phase II's next Webisode "Fire and Blood" the primary "guest" charters are gay crewpeople, one of them being Kirk's nephew Peter.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well I agree that if not this film, then the next one.

But New Voyages/Phase II's next Webisode "Fire and Blood" the primary "guest" charters are gay crewpeople, one of them being Kirk's nephew Peter.
I'm kind of excited to see it. I hope it is done well.