The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the "Spock Factor" Translate With A New Actor Playing Him?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Lieutenant

I'm definately giving Quinto a chance to carry the torch for the Spock character into the future. He certainly seems to have Nimoy's blessing.

I too think that Spock is the central character in the Star Trek TOS mythos. Adding to Ron Salon's comments with Spock there is much introspection and inner conflict making him the most interesting character in the trinity (to me). I think we got a glimpse of Spock's complexities in TMP and TWOK and should see more in STXI.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
My only concern is his voice. Visually he's spot on. I've tried watching Skylar-centric episodes of Heroes and I guess I can see that he can do the Spock voice, but I'm going to need to hear it myself because his natural voice doesn't even come close to "Spockian". (I'm also flipping out about John Cho's voice....he's on record as saying he can't get within 2 octaves of Takei's voice....I'm so afraid it's going to be Star Trek: The Chipmunks Take Over.)
I think he'll nail the voice! Like you said, he's done it on Heroes allready. I can see Nimoy giving him pointers on it.

As Kirk said once "Be tolerant Mr. Scott, young minds, fresh ideas."
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Aye, Captain Zardoz.

Oh, you mean the other Scott! Nevermind.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Plus, Zach looks so right for the part, the transition will be easy. HOW fans like the young Spock as a character will depend a great deal on the story, but I think the Spock-centric nature of the supposed plot will use this to its advantage.

In some respect, Zach has the toughest standard to reach since a direct comparison can be made; in other ways, he'll have an advantage the other actors won't in the same way.
I agree that he has the toughest job, but that also might push Leonard to pull of a stellar performance too. Mission, you also stated that it is a "supposed plot" and you are right it is supposition, but I am only making the assumption becasue of the facts. Spock is being portrayed by three actors. It would be highly unlikely to think it was a Kirk-centric movie.

Quote:
Zardoz wrote: Great point Ron! So you can see him easily as Spock?
Absolutley and I can't wait. I read this article this morn on Trekmovie http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/14/abra...-at-comic-con/. JJ states his Trek is not kitschy.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ron, don't get me wrong: I wasn't 'challenging' you in any way on the Spock-centric plot idea... and I agree with that assessment from all we know so far. I was actually referring to the other elements of the plot which we THINK we know, but which are spoiler-sensitive so I didn't want to refer to them specifically. No worries, mate!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Lieutenant

I gotta say, at first, i couldnt see Quinto as spock, but the more i kept seeing pics of him, the more i thought: "Well, he just MIGHT pass off as Spock." Then i saw an almost perfect photoshop of Quintos face on Spocks head, and thought: "Ok, I admit, he was a perfect choice!" I think the only thing i MIGHT have a problem with. is his voice. His voice isnt as deep as Nimoys, and dosent sound like him either. Hell maybe Nimoy will do Voice overs for Quintos lines, thatway we could see and hear him as spock.

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Ron, don't get me wrong: I wasn't 'challenging' you in any way on the Spock-centric plot idea... and I agree with that assessment from all we know so far. I was actually referring to the other elements of the plot which we THINK we know, but which are spoiler-sensitive so I didn't want to refer to them specifically. No worries, mate!
Absolutely, I know what you were implying and I think we agree. I am glad it is, if our assumptions are right.

Quote:
tannerwaterbury said:
Then i saw an almost perfect photoshop of Quintos face on Spocks head, and thought: "Ok, I admit, he was a perfect choice!"
I think I saw that picture too.

P.S. Hey, I'm not telling you what to do, but you might want to think about taking P*nis off your signature. They don't like anything that is not fit for kids.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned

Time will tell. Until then i have high hopes.
For some nothing short of quinto chanelling nimoy will suffice. Often from those who will be the first to say that copying nimoy would not be a good portrayal either. '
I know it's a comedy but look at get smart. everyone agreed that Carrell would have been silly to mimick Don Adams yet condemn him for not being exactly the same.
What is that word for Spock's essence? I just hope he has that.

Last edited by Don Farnsworth : 07-15-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I think I saw that picture too.

Being oh, so full of self esteem...I'll say I probably made that picture...

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Aye, Captain Zardoz.

Oh, you mean the other Scott! Nevermind.
LOL, can be you, If you wish!