The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Chekov/Khan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Banned

He wasn't but you surely know that a one hour episode is supposed to cover more than an hour in story time. He could have met checkov quite easily and it would not need to have been long for kahn to remember.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Farnsworth View Post
He wasn't but you surely know that a one hour episode is supposed to cover more than an hour in story time. He could have met checkov quite easily and it would not need to have been long for kahn to remember.
We know the actor didn't coem along in real life til later, but the charater could easily have been working in another part of the ship Khan went through. With Kahn's photographic memory, he could easily recall Chekov.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

All true, but I find it odd that the episode presumably shows all the relevant moments during Khan's 'stay' aboard the ship... and Chekov wasn't in ONE of them.

I guess Khan had a habit of memorizing every person he encountered in a hallway or at the mess, just in case he ends up marooned on a planet which years later shifts its orbit only to have that same crewman mistakenly land on the wrong planet so they can be reunited again.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Some good theories.

From my POV, this is why one of the things folks ***** about in Nemesis actually seems to hold more weight, storytelling-wise, than TWoK's Chekov mystery.

In TWoK, Chekov wasn't even part of the equation at the time of Space Seed, and then, miraculously...POOF, Khan remembers this guy that never physically or visually existed at the time.

In Nemesis, the way the Romulans got Picard's DNA to make a clone version of him could easily be related to the episode "Data's Day", where the Romulan spy was extricated by her compatriots to go back to Romulan space. Most of her mission, obviously, was never fully disclosed.....but Picard's DNA could've been on her "to do" list in her years pretending to be a Vulcan ambassador.

However, as I always say (and this is applicable to either case) canon is what you make it....so things that didn't exactly happen on screen (be it TWoK or Nemesis) could have a real story behind them, in the hearts and minds of the fans, or even in official stance by the storytellers.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
All true, but I find it odd that the episode presumably shows all the relevant moments during Khan's 'stay' aboard the ship... and Chekov wasn't in ONE of them.

I guess Khan had a habit of memorizing every person he encountered in a hallway or at the mess, just in case he ends up marooned on a planet which years later shifts its orbit only to have that same crewman mistakenly land on the wrong planet so they can be reunited again.
Well Iknow people who can actually do that effeortlessly.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Rear Admiral

One thing to remember about Khan Noonien Singh is that he was genetically engineered to have superior physical and mental capabilities. And his claim about "never forgetting a face," could very well have been the honest truth rather than boasting...

Aside from the fact that the stardate for "Space Seed" places it after his first appearance on the show anyway, I think it's safe to say that Chekov was on the Enterprise prior to Khan's arrival and that he might have been just a then nameless third-shift ensign that Khan briefly encountered during his time aboard the ship. For all we know, Chekov was probably surprised more than anyone that Khan remembered him 15 years later...
Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
One thing to remember about Khan Noonien Singh is that he was genetically engineered to have superior physical and mental capabilities. And his claim about "never forgetting a face," could very well have been the honest truth rather than boasting...

Aside from the fact that the stardate for "Space Seed" places it after his first appearance on the show anyway, I think it's safe to say that Chekov was on the Enterprise prior to Khan's arrival and that he might have been just a then nameless third-shift ensign that Khan briefly encountered during his time aboard the ship. For all we know, Chekov was probably surprised more than anyone that Khan remembered him 15 years later...
Sounds very reasonable to me.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
This is actually true.

It seems that Chekov was in fact on Enterprise during the time of the Space Seed episode but he was not assigned bridge duty as he was suffering from Malakov's Malady, which is the 23rd century version of Montezuma's Revenge, and was thus in the bathroom for the entire episode. So on this one occasion as Khan was strolling the E's corridors, after 300 years, even his genetically engineered urinary bladder was about to give out and he anxously approached a "head" that Chekov was occupying. Khan started to bang furiously on the door commanding Chekov to come out and after what seemed like an eternity when he finally did, Khan stopped him and said, "You... I will never forget your face!"
This story was actually related by Walter Koenig himself when asked the same question at a con years ago.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Ensign

The truth revealed...

Old 07-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiGuy View Post
The truth revealed...

Nice thinking by that writer!