The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Chekov/Khan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Midshipman

Default Chekov/Khan

How the hell did Khan know who Chekov was in Wrath of Khan? Anyone know? I don't remember him being in "Space Seed"
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

That has been the mecca and oasis of fanwank for years. LOL!

Some fanwankery:

1. Chekov was in the head (that's bathroom for you non-naval folk) while Khan was on-board.

2. Chekov was off duty...and never left his quarters until Khan was beaten...and then, when he did come out of his quarters, he was on an unseen bridge watch.

That's a couple of 'em. I can't remember if GR or Paramount ever officially took a stance on Chekov's whereabouts/disposition during that time.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Rear Admiral

Maybe Khan went through the crew register while he was in control of the ship.ce" />>>
Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant Commander

it's the oldest Star Trek question ever.

Chekov was most likely in another department aboard the Enterprise while Kahn was a guest.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post

1. Chekov was in the head (that's bathroom for you non-naval folk) while Khan was on-board.

This is actually true.

It seems that Chekov was in fact on Enterprise during the time of the Space Seed episode but he was not assigned bridge duty as he was suffering from Malakov's Malady, which is the 23rd century version of Montezuma's Revenge, and was thus in the bathroom for the entire episode. So on this one occasion as Khan was strolling the E's corridors, after 300 years, even his genetically engineered urinary bladder was about to give out and he anxously approached a "head" that Chekov was occupying. Khan started to bang furiously on the door commanding Chekov to come out and after what seemed like an eternity when he finally did, Khan stopped him and said, "You... I will never forget your face!"
Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

It is a common misconception that just because you did not see it on screen, it did not happen. It is like with Uhura iin WNMHGB, she was on teh ship but off duty.
By the way, this leads to many people considering ENT to have messed aroudn with canon, because they ask the Chekov/Khan question: why do we never see Denobulans/Xindi/... in the 23rd/24th century? Why is the NX-01 never mentioned afterwards?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
This is actually true.

It seems that Chekov was in fact on Enterprise during the time of the Space Seed episode but he was not assigned bridge duty as he was suffering from Malakov's Malady, which is the 23rd century version of Montezuma's Revenge, and was thus in the bathroom for the entire episode. So on this one occasion as Khan was strolling the E's corridors, after 300 years, even his genetically engineered urinary bladder was about to give out and he anxously approached a "head" that Chekov was occupying. Khan started to bang furiously on the door commanding Chekov to come out and after what seemed like an eternity when he finally did, Khan stopped him and said, "You... I will never forget your face!"
True statement. The scene was dropped from the original script.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Rear Admiral

Here's a bit of trivia though--the stardate for Chekov's first episode "Catspaw" actually comes before the stardate for "Space Seed," so if you were to watch TOS in chronological order by stardates, Chekov was definitely aboard the ship before Khan arrived:

"Catspaw"--first onscreen appearance of Chekov--stardate 3018.2
"Space Seed"--first confrontation with Khan--stardate 3141.9

Just pretend the episodes were shown out of order just like a number of episodes actually were...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Admiral

In the grand scheme of things that need to be rationalized about the Star Trek timeline, this is one of the easiest. We only see maybe 20 members of the crew in that episode...so, Chekov was one of the other 399. Kirk gave Khan access to a load of information including the ship blueprints, so obviously, the crew records were part of that...Khan saw Chekov's record and remembered it.

I will note that it's a reasonable question for someone just starting to try to work things like this out. The fact is, The Trouble With Tribbles seems like it's Chekov's first time on the bridge (he's on a training mission, he's being grilled by the top dogs as part of his training), but, in fact, he'd been on the bridge for a few episodes already...so, it's confusing.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Federation Councillor

These are the problems that crop up when shows are aired in any old order like they did with TOS, fortunately that happens rarely now, but one could just as easily ask why they didn't put Sulu on the Reliant instead of Chekov, but obviously we are left with the only conclusion that Chekov was on the ship long before he moved to the Bridge. Maybe he accidentally bumped into Khan in a corridor and stepped on his toes!