The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Spocks Future Knowledge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Ensign

Default Spocks Future Knowledge

Just thinking about this and I have not seen a topic on it yet but since the time line has been changed, Spock should talk about all the future tech he knows about. It will not change future events because since the time line has been changed, things will not unfold the same way. Just think, 24th century tech in the 23rd century.

What do you think?
by the clean end”

R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Lieutenant

Well, he already did purposefully introduce something in the new timeline. He gave Scotty some "help" figuring out his Transwarp Transport equation thingamajig, decades before Scotty would have otherwise worked it out on his own. He should do him another favor, and warn him to never step foot on the Jenolan. XD

Overall, since he's stuck in this "alternate" timeline, to which the Temporal Prime Directive likely doesn't apply much to, he'd probably see fit to warn the Federation about a few of the "big" things that might threaten it or its present and future allies. Like V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the destruction of Praxis, the Borg, the freakin' Nexus, etc... It'd be hard to predict how things would change, but the Federation and humanity might end up better off for it.

As for introducing more advanced technology... Well, Spock didn't exactly bring much of that back WITH him aside from the Jellyfish, which was destroyed. But Starfleet already got itself a nice boost in the wake of the Kelvin incident. Didn't even really need Spock for that one.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking that they will just avoid the whole issue in the sequels and just tell some straight forward stories going on. I doubt Prime Spock is even going to be in them, although it's not impossible. Just a feeling.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post

As for introducing more advanced technology... Well, Spock didn't exactly bring much of that back WITH him aside from the Jellyfish, which was destroyed. But Starfleet already got itself a nice boost in the wake of the Kelvin incident. Didn't even really need Spock for that one.
I just wonder, story-wise in the movie, that new Spock may have had time to download the Jellyfish's database to the Enterprise before it crashed into the Narada. New Spock would have been interacting with the new technology before then.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I'm thinking that they will just avoid the whole issue in the sequels and just tell some straight forward stories going on. I doubt Prime Spock is even going to be in them, although it's not impossible. Just a feeling.
I can understand you.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post

Although you make a valid point, that was not the question? I am not asking if he will be in the next movie. What I want to know is if you think he would devuldge that knowledge or not. Knowing Spock, I don't think he would because he would remain loyal to the Prime Timeline, but as stated before, I do not think the Temporal Prime Directive applies here since this is a new time line. I think he should give the Federation a Technological Advantage over the Alpha quadrant. Could you imagine the DS9 Defient in early Kirk time.
by the clean end”

R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omikse View Post
Although you make a valid point, that was not the question? I am not asking if he will be in the next movie. What I want to know is if you think he would devuldge that knowledge or not. Knowing Spock, I don't think he would because he would remain loyal to the Prime Timeline, but as stated before, I do not think the Temporal Prime Directive applies here since this is a new time line. I think he should give the Federation a Technological Advantage over the Alpha quadrant. Could you imagine the DS9 Defient in early Kirk time.
The DS9 Defiant... Only ten times bigger!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Overall, since he's stuck in this "alternate" timeline, to which the Temporal Prime Directive likely doesn't apply much to, he'd probably see fit to warn the Federation about a few of the "big" things that might threaten it or its present and future allies. Like V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the destruction of Praxis, the Borg, the freakin' Nexus, etc...
perhaps the next movie could be about him solving all these big things in one go? /sarcasm

check out my blog @ www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
and my bros blog @ http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/
Old 02-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Well, he already did purposefully introduce something in the new timeline. He gave Scotty some "help" figuring out his Transwarp Transport equation thingamajig, decades before Scotty would have otherwise worked it out on his own. He should do him another favor, and warn him to never step foot on the Jenolan. XD

Overall, since he's stuck in this "alternate" timeline, to which the Temporal Prime Directive likely doesn't apply much to, he'd probably see fit to warn the Federation about a few of the "big" things that might threaten it or its present and future allies. Like V'Ger, the Whale Probe, the destruction of Praxis, the Borg, the freakin' Nexus, etc... It'd be hard to predict how things would change, but the Federation and humanity might end up better off for it.

I think there's a difference between imparting information in situations that require it (i.e the Transporter equation which was needed to get them back onto the ship, but which is still an iffy technology) and wholesale interference in people's lives - especially since those live may not unfold the same way now.

Scotty may never go near the Jenolen in this timeline because something might happen over the next decades to alter his life. Therefore there is no immediate need to warn him.

It's that kind of Flash Forward thing - if you tell someone too much they may change their behaviour and things can go even farther off course than they maybe are meant to.

When it comes to people, Spock would be as well remaining tight-lipped at least until he has knowledge that certain events may come to pass, otherwise it's scaremongering for no reason - 'Hey Jim! Don't launch the Ent-B - you'll die!!', 'Hey Jim, don't sleep with Carol Marcus - she'll have a kid you'll never know and he'll die!'.

The repercussions of such knowledge would not automatically lead to a happier outcome.

Larger thing like V'Ger etc (though most of them are a long way off) he can deal with as they crop up, if he needs to.

For the most part, now that things are settled he should let this timeline unfold in whatever way it does from now on, without trying to influence it too much.

That's just my 2 cents.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Rear Admiral

And to quote Mr. Spock, "We must have faith that the universe will unfold as it should."
I think 'in universe' Spock will limit his interference to what's been done. And I think 'in real world' JJ and his writers will want stay away from the use of future knowledge because it'll too gimicky and too easy. Of course whatever they decide, will be. I pray they don't go that route.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'