The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Generations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Ensign

Default Generations

Okay, many people have been making a big deal ever since the film was released about Killing Kirk, and I sympathize with those people, I think it was a bad Idea. Kirk is like a god to some people and killing him is like killing a god. But there is another atrocity committed in this film that I personally think has been overlooked. They destroyed the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D. That is almost as bad as destroying the original Enterprise in STIII. I know that Ent-E is cool, but what about those of us who grew up watching the Galaxy class Enterprise on the small screen? And the way it was destroyed? a 20 year old BoP. Not some big glorious battle, just a wimpy outdated bird of prey. If they are going to Destroy the Enterprise, let it go out in the blaze of glory!!!! Better yet, DON'T DESTROY IT AT ALL!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, but despite attempts to the contrary Kirk was in fact human and had to die at some point (I find it poor of Shatner to resurrect him in the books). You can argue that Generations may not have been the way to do it but it was better than the original ending where Soran basically shot him in the back. I minded the loss of the D at the time, but they had to do something dramatic for the transition from TV to film, and that was what they chose!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Enterprise D was a good looking ship, and it seemed to make the transition to television alright, with a wee bit o' touching up....but, I'm glad they destroyed it in favor of the E. The D would've really just made future movies look even more like overblown two-hour episodes than they already did. Even with the Ent-E's appearance in the films, as gorgeous a ship as it is, it did not help Generations, First Contact, or Insurrection with a big-screen feel like I got from the original cast movies (I-VI).

Also, even though Kirk was a childhood hero of mine, I was glad he finally met his fate. He did so in the manner befitting one of his legend....making a difference, and saving lives...and kicking a** in the process. At least he did not get shot in the back in the final cut.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Ensign

They should have just upgraded the ship like the Galaxy X class from
All Good Things, that was a pretty epic ship right there.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant

i think that TMP and generations movies share the same thing. they both missed a tremendous opportunity to do something special at the time. shame because those crucial moments have come and gone now.

in relation to the enterprise being destroyed in trek 3- i remeber very nearly leaving the cinema at the time.

starbase Britain
Old 07-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

The D was the first Enterprise I really liked (because I only knew TNG in the beginning). Generations was also the first movie I saw, so it felt like home being destroyed. And in comparison to III... there the Enterprise was killed off quickly, in perhaps two minutes. But ins Gens, it was a much more violent and slow death...
However, all of that pain was gone and replaced by a new and even stronger love when I saw the E in FC

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Captain

I may be branded a heretic for this one, but I think the D needed destroying. I never liked it. As far as Kirk's death, it seemed that even the passage of 80 years was not enough to bridge the gap between the two generations. That's why the dramatized and visualized death of such a legend was necessary to "pass the torch."
Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Commander

All good points. Yes, people need to deal with the fact that even the greatest legends, like Kirk are mortal and can in fact die in pretty simple ways. (falling off a mountain for example) Kirk died saving billions of lives, which should be impressive enough for anyone of his stature but he also died in a very simple way. He wasn't swallowed up by a nebulous entity or poisoned by radiation from a damaged warp core...he just...fell. Anyone could fall, even Kirk. That humanized Kirk in the end, and his last line said it all..."It was fun....oh my" The spirit of kirk right there, grand adventurer onto the end. Although his intuition about knowing that he would always die alone...was proved wrong by the events of Generations. I find it still a very fitting end for Kirk.

To all those people who want a return of Shatner in the new Trek film...STOP WHINING Your already getting the return of Kirk in a way....with a prequilic film be happy about that.

As for the D, I grew up on Next Gen and the D is my most favorite Enterprise, as if you couldn't tell from the avatar. I love Picard, Riker and company, and I thought the D being destroyed was a sad but wonderfully dramatic moment. Once again the same thing, sometimes even the Federartion flagship can get into trouble. Don't tell me the death of the D wasn't dramatic enough either. It crashed into A PLANET for gods sake carved a gorge half the size of the Grand Canyon into a forest and then was subsequently blown apart as the planet exploded, only to be saved by the time traveling heroics of Picard and Kirk. How much more dramatic do you want? Plus it's the first time we ever hear anyone utter a swear on Star Trek and of all people it's Data. (Who is wonderfully humerous throughout) I think it's fitting that both the original E and the E-D were destroyed by crappy old birds of prey! what an homage!

Finally you have to admit that the scene where Data finds spot at the end is just wonderful. I don't know about the rest of you but I thought Generations was a great movie that got a lot of things right and passed the torch as it were in a very, grounding way.

-Free Enterprise
Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Midshipman

All humans have to die (except Perry Rohdan ). Authors, who can't kill a character aren't good authors.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Plus it's the first time we ever hear anyone utter a swear on Star Trek and of all people it's Data. (Who is wonderfully humerous throughout) I think it's fitting that both the original E and the E-D were destroyed by crappy old birds of prey! what an homage!
<>

Correction: One Star Trek (perhaps "City on the Edge of Forever") episode ended with Kirk saying: "Let's get the hell out of here." Star Trek The Motion Picture was liberally sprinkled with light swear words (Damn, hell). Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan also contained GD, and SoB in addition to the previously mentioned swears. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock also contained the SoB swear as well as the usual suspects. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was loaded with tons of "colorful metaphors" as denoted by Captain Spock, and used with great frequency by Admiral James T. Kirk. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier contained a couple of strong swear words. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country went back to simple damns and hells....and all of that largely in just one minute, and the final of which was uttered by Captain Spock. (Of all people....Arr Arr Arr. )

Summation: Star Trek Generations was not the first time we heard swearing by any character.

Correction: NCC-1701 refit was not destroyed by Klingon Bird of Prey. NCC-1701 refit was destroyed by Admiral James T. Kirk to prevent the Enterprise from falling into enemy hands.

Summation: NCC-1701 refit was not destroyed by Klingon Bird of Prey. NCC-1701 refit was destroyed by Admiral James T. Kirk to prevent the Enterprise from falling into enemy hands.

END CORRECTION MODE.....bzzzt....crackle...stir....zzzt...hrk hrk hrk...clickity clickity clickity.....zaappppppp!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOM!

<>