The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Promo Photo??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Isn't that his shadow on the ground, behind his left foot and below the car?

The sun is almost overhead which would make his shadow small, and he's blocking what shadow he's casting on the car. Guessing...?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Isn't that his shadow on the ground, behind his left foot and below the car?

The sun is almost overhead which would make his shadow small, and he's blocking what shadow he's casting on the car. Guessing...?
Agreed. Also, there's a scratch on the negative that runs across the shrubery and across Shatner as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Well, saving it and enlarging it, I can see that the thing I was sure was a shadow from someone else might be an oil leak (sort of weird, but possible). The scratch is no big deal. Anyone can put a scratch on a digital file and "unite" various elements. It's possible it's not fake...just a leaky car.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Well, saving it and enlarging it, I can see that the thing I was sure was a shadow from someone else might be an oil leak (sort of weird, but possible). The scratch is no big deal. Anyone can put a scratch on a digital file and "unite" various elements. It's possible it's not fake...just a leaky car.
I'm sorry, i think I must be missing something...

From an expert perspective, all shadows are fully correct, assuming near-'noon' summer (Northern Hemisphere) lighting - i.e.; close to 'above'.

'Noon', technically, is defined by the sun's position 'over' the Earth - given season and location, this will differ, but the simplified example is the 'shortest shadow' - i.e., closest to 'straight down'.

This is what is show in the photo, and it is internally consistent. (i.e., look at the tire, most especially under it's forward curve - it's 'smaller' than the total tire 'width', indicating a very small percentage of reflected shadow 'backwards', fro the viewers perspective.)

So, you would NOT expect to see the leg or foot's shadow - they are 'too close' to the angle-of-light to provide shadows. His shoulder and arm, however, DO - but SEVERELY 'foreshortened' by the angle of light.

(i.e.; as shown)

All in all, everything matches up as I would expect, given the assumed situation - if Shatner is 'fake', then so must be the surrounding images, as they match on a point-for-point basis....

Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry that this is very tall (but at least you won't have to scroll left/right)

See the round "shadow" on the ground I've highlighted? It's not a shadow of his butt or shoulder or head. As you've noted, the sun is almost straight up and shadows are barely off from their source. It's mildly possible that it could be the shadow of the bell cuff of the pants (because you can't see that in the picture) but generally, the closer the object casting the shadow is to the place the shadow is cast, the less shadow there is at high noon. If I put my hand 12 inches above the ground at noon, the shadow would not be offset by a foot. So, I don't think that's what it is.

My initial conclusion, based on size and the fact that it appears to be broken up, was that a woman had posed with the car and her sixties do was big and let some light through.

However, when I blow it up, I have to concede that the "blob" could be an oil leak.

I also think his raised knee should be casting a shadow on the car or the ground. If it's angled back (which is what it looks like based on the way his hand lies) then it would cast a shadow on the car hood (there is a lip over the tire in lieu of a tire well). If it's straight in line with the tire, then there should be a shadow of his knee in front of the tire. (While they are in a straight line, since the knee is above the wheel, it should be the thing casting the shadow) If it's angled in, then there should be a knee shadow both in front of and too the side of the tire.

I would expect the foot that is on the tire to be completely dark, not having highlights.

If the "blob" is not an oil slick, then it begs for explanation because it is not a credible shadow of Shatner.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, 'Just For Example'...

ALL 'Red Lines' are on the EXACT SAME ANGLE: (Easily Verified)...

Therein you see the 'angle of illumination'; the Sun, of course, being a 'distant source', then with negligible parallax...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Default Its only my opinion but...

But I think the photo is legit.

Here's a link to the website;

http://www.c-we.com/piranha/page9.htm

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'm sorry that this is very tall (but at least you won't have to scroll left/right)

See the round "shadow" on the ground I've highlighted? It's not a shadow of his butt or shoulder or head. As you've noted, the sun is almost straight up and shadows are barely off from their source. It's mildly possible that it could be the shadow of the bell cuff of the pants (because you can't see that in the picture) but generally, the closer the object casting the shadow is to the place the shadow is cast, the less shadow there is at high noon. If I put my hand 12 inches above the ground at noon, the shadow would not be offset by a foot. So, I don't think that's what it is.

My initial conclusion, based on size and the fact that it appears to be broken up, was that a woman had posed with the car and her sixties do was big and let some light through.

However, when I blow it up, I have to concede that the "blob" could be an oil leak.

I also think his raised knee should be casting a shadow on the car or the ground. If it's angled back (which is what it looks like based on the way his hand lies) then it would cast a shadow on the car hood (there is a lip over the tire in lieu of a tire well). If it's straight in line with the tire, then there should be a shadow of his knee in front of the tire. (While they are in a straight line, since the knee is above the wheel, it should be the thing casting the shadow) If it's angled in, then there should be a knee shadow both in front of and too the side of the tire.

I would expect the foot that is on the tire to be completely dark, not having highlights.

If the "blob" is not an oil slick, then it begs for explanation because it is not a credible shadow of Shatner.
The 'rounded shadow' is his shoulder and arm - that 'little line' is the gap between arm and body - remember, WE are seeing adiffirent angle than the light is passing through! WE can;t see the 'gap'; the light, and a 'different path', moves through it...

His Raised knee DOES show shadow - directly below it, on the tire. (Take a look - it's there.)

All shadows are 'directly 'down''... and slightly 'to the FRONT" (This might be what is what is throwing you, and emphasized his 'man-boobs' Look closer: it is small, perhaps 5%, but the one visible 'front left' tire shows a small shadow 'forward' indicating the light is 'above' but marginally 'BEHIND"...

(Please note: we are not 'used' to this: professional photos ALWAY have the light either 'in front', or - for certain shots (Think Kirk's entrance onto the 'Kobiyashi Maru' simulator 'set'...) DIRECTLY BEHIND... we don't usually see these 'oblique' lighting angles that occur all-the-time naturally... yet the all are inherently consistent...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
But I think the photo is legit.

Here's a link to the website;

http://www.c-we.com/piranha/page9.htm
Gracias, mi amigo!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Here's another link where the cars builder mentions Star Trek.

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/...gene-winfield/

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!