The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > The time now is...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
My guess is it's there to help us if we discover our posts seem to have the wrong time.

"...oh, look, the board clock doesn't match my computer clock! I guess I need to change my settings."
I already told you I was just curious about the clock down below...The settings on my computer are fine.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 PM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

Ok, then I'm not sure I understand your question, Quark.

If you're talking about the forum clock at the bottom of these pages (mine is centered i the middle, right above the basic text links of this board), then my time displayed is correct: GMT -7 (daylight savings time for PT) and just after 2pm local time.

Why doesn't it update itself on this page without refreshing, is that what you're asking?

My guess is, because you're on a discussion board page, which always presents a 'snapshot' of data from the board's server. This keeps new posts from being added to the conversation on YOUR page while you respond... which would disrupt your reply process if it continually refreshed the page automatically to go grab the correct time.

In short, the clock is not an independent applet running on its own, it's just a timestamp, a data sample from the server.

There are infinitely better ways to display the correct, live time on your screen than this board timestamp. It's a reference for your connection to the server, not a timekeeping function.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Great suggestion!!
Thanks!
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Why doesn't it update itself on this page without refreshing, is that what you're asking?

My guess is, because you're on a discussion board page, which always presents a 'snapshot' of data from the board's server. This keeps new posts from being added to the conversation on YOUR page while you respond... which would disrupt your reply process if it continually refreshed the page automatically to go grab the correct time.

In short, the clock is not an independent applet running on its own, it's just a timestamp, a data sample from the server.

There are infinitely better ways to display the correct, live time on your screen than this board timestamp. It's a reference for your connection to the server, not a timekeeping function.
Yeah, that's what I was asking. Just about the clock thingy on the bottom. Makes sense now, thanks for your responce dude!
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I already told you I was just curious about the clock down below...The settings on my computer are fine.
Quark, I guess I wasn't clear. Some boards have set times. I used to post on a lot of Harry Potter boards and they were all set to LONDON time. When I posted, it showed up in London time, not my Pacific US time.
Sometimes people don't recognize at first that the board time might not be their own and so get freaked out when they see a post of theirs "timed" at a time they know they weren't posting.

"Hey, why does it say I was posting at midnight? I was asleep at midnight."

Having the board time posted on the board is a visual clue to what has happened.

"Oh, wait...it's only 8pm here but this says that the board time is 11pm! Oh, that's what happened! I posted at 9 last night"

So, it's not meant to be anything more than a clue if you are confused.

Some boards (like this one) let each of us set the board so times are displayed in our own timezones....so, even though the poster in London might have posted right after dinner, on my computer it shows her post as around breakfast. Because I was having breakfast when she was posting in London. So, once you see that the board time is not your own (thanks to the handy note on the page) you are clued in to go to your control panel and make the change. Again, the "board time" is just a clue, nothing more.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Quark, I guess I wasn't clear. Some boards have set times. I used to post on a lot of Harry Potter boards and they were all set to LONDON time. When I posted, it showed up in London time, not my Pacific US time.
Sometimes people don't recognize at first that the board time might not be their own and so get freaked out when they see a post of theirs "timed" at a time they know they weren't posting.

"Hey, why does it say I was posting at midnight? I was asleep at midnight."

Having the board time posted on the board is a visual clue to what has happened.

"Oh, wait...it's only 8pm here but this says that the board time is 11pm! Oh, that's what happened! I posted at 9 last night"

So, it's not meant to be anything more than a clue if you are confused.

Some boards (like this one) let each of us set the board so times are displayed in our own timezones....so, even though the poster in London might have posted right after dinner, on my computer it shows her post as around breakfast. Because I was having breakfast when she was posting in London. So, once you see that the board time is not your own (thanks to the handy note on the page) you are clued in to go to your control panel and make the change. Again, the "board time" is just a clue, nothing more.
Excellent defintion Eliza!!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Quark, I guess I wasn't clear. Some boards have set times. I used to post on a lot of Harry Potter boards and they were all set to LONDON time. When I posted, it showed up in London time, not my Pacific US time.
Sometimes people don't recognize at first that the board time might not be their own and so get freaked out when they see a post of theirs "timed" at a time they know they weren't posting.

"Hey, why does it say I was posting at midnight? I was asleep at midnight."

Having the board time posted on the board is a visual clue to what has happened.

"Oh, wait...it's only 8pm here but this says that the board time is 11pm! Oh, that's what happened! I posted at 9 last night"

So, it's not meant to be anything more than a clue if you are confused.

Some boards (like this one) let each of us set the board so times are displayed in our own timezones....so, even though the poster in London might have posted right after dinner, on my computer it shows her post as around breakfast. Because I was having breakfast when she was posting in London. So, once you see that the board time is not your own (thanks to the handy note on the page) you are clued in to go to your control panel and make the change. Again, the "board time" is just a clue, nothing more.
I'm not talking about the times our posts were made. It has nothing to do with the area of the world I'm located in. All I was simply curious about, was the clock on the bottom of the board and why it wasn't acurate by the minute. I'm not talking about the timezone, or if it's wrong or anything of the sort. The timezone happens to be correct for me, yet the orange clock at the bottom doesn't update itself unless you refresh the page. Again, the timezone is perfectly acurate. This has nothing to do with the post time. Only the orange clock on the bottom is what I'm talking about. This thing was all a big misunderstanding on both our parts. Let's just agree on that. Deal? LOL
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I'm not talking about the times our posts were made. It has nothing to do with the area of the world I'm located in. All I was simply curious about, was the clock on the bottom of the board and why it wasn't acurate by the minute. I'm not talking about the timezone, or if it's wrong or anything of the sort. The timezone happens to be correct for me, yet the orange clock at the bottom doesn't update itself unless you refresh the page. Again, the timezone is perfectly acurate. This has nothing to do with the post time. Only the orange clock on the bottom is what I'm talking about. This thing was all a big misunderstanding on both our parts. Let's just agree on that. Deal? LOL
Well, I don't think I misunderstand at all, I think you're just not grasping what I'm saying, I'm not sure why.

The clock is not a clock, it is, as noted, a snapshot of the board at the moment you came to it. It tells you what "board time" is, at the moment you came to the board. If there is a serious conflict between your clock time and the board time at the moment you come to the board (as in my example: the board time is 11pm, but your computer clock says 8pm) then you know that the board is not set to your time.

Simple. Really, it is.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Well, I don't think I misunderstand at all, I think you're just not grasping what I'm saying, I'm not sure why.

The clock is not a clock, it is, as noted, a snapshot of the board at the moment you came to it. It tells you what "board time" is, at the moment you came to the board. If there is a serious conflict between your clock time and the board time at the moment you come to the board (as in my example: the board time is 11pm, but your computer clock says 8pm) then you know that the board is not set to your time.

Simple. Really, it is.
Look, the time is 2:42PM. I check the clock on the bottom of this page and it says 2:42PM. However, if I don't refresh the page, the time on the bottom of this page won't change. I look at the time on my Start bar it now says 2:43. I look at the clock on the bottom of this page, and it still says 2:42. My point is that it doesn't change. All I was suggessting, was make the time on the bottom actually move by the minute. Nothing more...nothing less. You're not getting my point.

*All I was saying was that it would be neat if the clock on the bottom, no matter what timezone we were in, would change by the minute. That is all.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable

Last edited by Quark : 06-16-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
True, same here. The only reason I brought this up was due to curiosity. In addition, I don't know why it would be there if it only works when you refresh the page.
I was just providing a reason for it to be there even if it doesn't change.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.