The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Get rid of Winona Ryder!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
What does her being a star years later have to do wirth the fact she screwed herself out of part by demanding more money in 1982/3, when she was still a nobody?
In all fairness, there's "blame" to go around on both sides. Paramount wasn't smart because they didn't contractually 'lock in' Kirstie for future appearances in the character at an agreed-upon rate when she was "still a nobody" (a term I use very loosely).

If they left her return open to rate re-negotiations, it's little wonder she and her rep attempted to bargain for a better deal -- the studio left themselves open for it, and they were asking HER back to reprise a role. No doubt she wasn't made rich off her first stint, so she wanted more for her return.

I leave out her eventual demands, which pretty much ended the negotiations with Paramount passing on her services and hiring a new actress for less money.

In short, Kirstie's move wasn't wrong at all -- renegotiations happen every day in Hollywood -- simply the excess of her desired deal prevented any hope she had of succeeding in it, which is a different story. Clearly her career advancement was more important to her than reprising a TREK character, which is her choice. She got her money out of Cheers, and still does in royalties... more than she ever would have gotten out of playing Saavik one more time.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Federation Councillor

That's a much clearer explanation than I could come up with!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
I think he's referring to the idea that it was going to be Saavik in The Undiscovered Country in the role that became Valeris.
But that was a very prelimary idea tha Nick and GR got into a very heated debate about. GR was unhappy because he was going to use Saavik that way. Nick was mad because he created Savvik, and felt it was his right to do as he chose with the charater (a veiw I agree with.)

Valeris was the compromise. I don't think Kristie was ever approaced offically about this, nor was Robin Curtis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
In all fairness, there's "blame" to go around on both sides. Paramount wasn't smart because they didn't contractually 'lock in' Kirstie for future appearances in the character at an agreed-upon rate when she was "still a nobody" (a term I use very loosely).

If they left her return open to rate re-negotiations, it's little wonder she and her rep attempted to bargain for a better deal -- the studio left themselves open for it, and they were asking HER back to reprise a role. No doubt she wasn't made rich off her first stint, so she wanted more for her return.

I leave out her eventual demands, which pretty much ended the negotiations with Paramount passing on her services and hiring a new actress for less money.

In short, Kirstie's move wasn't wrong at all -- renegotiations happen every day in Hollywood -- simply the excess of her desired deal prevented any hope she had of succeeding in it, which is a different story. Clearly her career advancement was more important to her than reprising a TREK character, which is her choice. She got her money out of Cheers, and still does in royalties... more than she ever would have gotten out of playing Saavik one more time.
I don't disagree with you. But her, and/or her agent should have known dealing with Harve Bennett as producer, it wouldn't have been an easy sell, at best. Harve was from a TV background were the mentaility was "You can be replaced." I can see him telling Paramount ot take a hard line, and if that wasn't enough, saying, "Ok, then we'll get soemone else."
Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But that was a very prelimary idea tha Nick and GR got into a very heated debate about. GR was unhappy because he was going to use Saavik that way. Nick was mad because he created Savvik, and felt it was his right to do as he chose with the charater (a veiw I agree with.)

Valeris was the compromise. I don't think Kristie was ever approaced offically about this, nor was Robin Curtis.
I knew it was preliminary... I just figured this is what Kevin meant. As for Kirstie Alley wanting too much to play Saavik... Heck, Robin Curtiss heard the rumors of Saavik... WANTED the part again and was a bit disappointed when Valeris came out.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Federation Councillor

I definitely recall reading that Alley was specifically asked, that was in the autobiography I read, leading to the discussions over money. However I also read recently that Curtis claims she was never asked at all, which is a shame as I liked her in ST:III.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
I knew it was preliminary... I just figured this is what Kevin meant. As for Kirstie Alley wanting too much to play Saavik... Heck, Robin Curtiss heard the rumors of Saavik... WANTED the part again and was a bit disappointed when Valeris came out.
My misunderstanding then.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpaceNiner View Post
It's not really a matter of her ability to give a good performance it's just the fact that she's become box office poison since the whole shop lifting fiasco.

..or was it the Alien: Resurrection fiasco
Uh...the whole 'shoplifting fiasco' was like 7 years ago, which in Hollywood is like 150 years. It's over. Who cares? Now if she were like Polanski, that'd be different. And besides, it's a little late to get rid of her, filming has started and the picture has been bonded. Major, major headache and insurance expense to replace someone after filiming has commenced.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Even more so after filming has completed and is in the editing process!

[offer not valid in George Lucas]

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post

[offer not valid in George Lucas]
(*Grin*)

Must be 18 or older for Dean Parisot to apply. (21 in some Bragas - check local listings for details.)

Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Midshipman

I kinda like the Wynona casting, not real reason to complain IMHO