The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > TMP or TSFS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
And THE ENEMY BELOW.
How I know.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

ST:First Contact is better that TMP. V'ger was a dorky idea. Although I like STFC better, I still hate the idea of a borg queen. It lessens the evil-ness and collective-ness of the borg. Bad idea.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
ST:First Contact is better that TMP. V'ger was a dorky idea. Although I like STFC better, I still hate the idea of a borg queen. It lessens the evil-ness and collective-ness of the borg. Bad idea.
V'Ger was a TV idea....lost alot on the way to the Big Screen.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM
civilian civilian is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 49
Default

I never minded the story behind TMP, it just needed a much better screenplay. One that had some action and more interaction between the characters. Heck we waited a decade for some new ST and got a film that wasted precious screentime showing the Enterprise than anything else. We wanted to see our favorite characters interacting again. The cerebralness of the story wasn't too bad if they had added action, adventure and humor to it like it was during the original run.

TSFS was good too but it was limited in what it could do. If they wanted to bring Spock back, the film had to revolve around this. Don't get me wrong, thank god they did bring Spock back but if it seemed a little slower and appeal mostly to ST fans only it was because they were so limited on the story line. Nonetheless as a Star Trek fan I loved this movie more than TMP. I am odd in that I didn't like TWOK as much as others did. I thought it relied on unoriginal plot devices to draw its appeal. I personally like TSFS more.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilian View Post
I never minded the story behind TMP, it just needed a much better screenplay. One that had some action and more interaction between the characters. Heck we waited a decade for some new ST and got a film that wasted precious screentime showing the Enterprise than anything else. We wanted to see our favorite characters interacting again. The cerebralness of the story wasn't too bad if they had added action, adventure and humor to it like it was during the original run.

TSFS was good too but it was limited in what it could do. If they wanted to bring Spock back, the film had to revolve around this. Don't get me wrong, thank god they did bring Spock back but if it seemed a little slower and appeal mostly to ST fans only it was because they were so limited on the story line. Nonetheless as a Star Trek fan I loved this movie more than TMP. I am odd in that I didn't like TWOK as much as others did. I thought it relied on unoriginal plot devices to draw its appeal. I personally like TSFS more.
Hmmm intersting reasoning there....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

When it comes to the Trek films I've actually always viewed TWOK, TSFS and VOY HOME as a trilogy within the overal series and enjoy them much better that way. The themes and plotlines begun in TWOK feed into the entire TSFS story and then conclude in HOME. I tend to then look at the other as stand alone films and consider them that way. Without TWOK to power it TSFS could have had a totally different story but instead it managed to give the characters indiviual moments (everyone of the crew had a little moment of their own) unlike some of the other films where they got a liitle lost in the mix. I think that's another reason I like it so much, actually.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
When it comes to the Trek films I've actually always viewed TWOK, TSFS and VOY HOME as a trilogy within the overal series and enjoy them much better that way. The themes and plotlines begun in TWOK feed into the entire TSFS story and then conclude in HOME. I tend to then look at the other as stand alone films and consider them that way. Without TWOK to power it TSFS could have had a totally different story but instead it managed to give the characters indiviual moments (everyone of the crew had a little moment of their own) unlike some of the other films where they got a liitle lost in the mix. I think that's another reason I like it so much, actually.
Well while not originally planned that way, theose 3 did become a triology, good call!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.