The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The Dark Knight!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
The previews i've seen mostly. The scenes and acting i've seen, particularly that of Heath Ledger as The Joker, seem over-acted and forced. It almost seems like he's trying to channel Jack Nicholson, who's horrible performance in "Batman", i'd like to be able to forget. But regardless of how pitiful Nicholson's Joker was, it somehow has become "the" Joker to beat, and in Ledger's case, apparently, to emulate. It brings to mind how "Superman Returns" failed because Brandon Routhe tried to channel Christopher Reeve. It looks like they're going to screw this one up too. I hold out precious little hope that Cain, Bale and Freeman can overcome a bad performance in such a crucial part as The Joker. But who knows, they're three talented and powerful performers, and they just might be able to get our mind off of Ledger long enough to make it worth the ticket price. We'll all find out soon.
Ledgers joker comes across as nothing like Jack Nicholson's performance.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius1964 View Post
I think I posted this in another thread, but I read an interview with Michael Caine where he admits to forgetting his lines because of the way Ledger entered the scene. I figure if you make an old pro like Caine blow a scene, you're doing something right.
The story you're referring to is the first time Caine saw Ledger in his Joker look, I believe as he exited an elevator. Caine says he literally jumped (lets out a short yelp as he tells it), because the look caught him so off guard. [There's a short making-of featurette running on HBO now in which he tells this story]. He doesn't say (in this telling) whether he was actually filming at the time. In any case, reacting that strongly while out of character might be even more telling about Ledger's demeanor while he's in the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Farnsworth View Post
Ledgers joker comes across as nothing like Jack Nicholson's performance.
I believe that is indeed their point and goal, Don. Early reviews and descriptions say that Ledger's Joker (as written and performed) is equally scary and menacing as he is darkly funny. The Joker is a true, dangerous, psychopathic threat, not just a costumed gangster.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The movie will be here soon enough. It will answer many questions and likely bring on new debates. We'll see.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Federation Councillor

Speakin of which, I went to see 'The Mist' this evening and we had a trailer for TDK, which looked stunning! Ledger seems to be going for very restrained psychopathic work (all the danger and evil is there but it's not always expressed in uncontrolled outburts) the make up looks very disturbing as well. However on an action front I really want to see the full scene where the truck is vaulted onto it's roof, it looks spectacular!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
However on an action front I really want to see the full scene where the truck is vaulted onto it's roof, it looks spectacular!
And they did it for real, no CG.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post

I believe that is indeed their point and goal, Don. Early reviews and descriptions say that Ledger's Joker (as written and performed) is equally scary and menacing as he is darkly funny. The Joker is a true, dangerous, psychopathic threat, not just a costumed gangster.
Oh i know. Check the quote that i was responding to. the thumbs down was for the suggestion that Ledger was channeling Jack Nicholson.
Nicholson's joker was a joke. Ledger's looks far more evil and better portrayed.
I will actually be going to an early screening on Tommorow so i'll report back.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Nicholson's Joker seemed like mugging for the camera, Ledger's seems like a genuinely creepy and dangerous man. No comparison.

Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if The Joker doesn't actually have that much screentime...
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Farnsworth View Post
I will actually be going to an early screening on Tommorow so i'll report back.
If this weren't a family-friendly board, I'd have many nasty words for you, all based on the insane envy I feel...

Enjoy the film, lucky person...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Film looks like it will be a great sequel to Dark Knight.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Banned

The film my friends was brilliant.
Very intense and you really have to watch the story. Some things i would have liked to have been done a little different but overall i loved it.
Ledger is brilliant. I have no idea how they could get someone to fill his shoes if they wanted to do that in the future.
Ledgers performance completely buries Jack Nicholson's as these two films bury the Tim Burton films.
I won't share more other than to say i doubt anyone who loves Batman will be dissapointed.