The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Star Trek Phase II
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Eccentricity's Avatar
Eccentricity Eccentricity is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default

The writing seems to evoke more emotion than in TOS. I especially thought "World Enough and Time" was an excellent episode. I would also like to see the time tables moved up a bit. Seems like we are getting one episode per year on average. However, I would rather wait for top quality episodes than to get sloppy episodes done quickly. As for maneuverability, well, we saw starships at Wolf 359 making 90 degree turns at (full?) impulse (see DS9 episode one). A 90 degree turn is far more inertia-defying than the maneuvers we have seen in Phase II.

The one thing that annoyed me was Chekov's death. Knowing that he survived the motion pictures, they killed him anyhow and created a new time line. I almost wonder if they did this to escape canon scrutiny. Now, with this new time line, they can pretty much do what they want.

Last edited by Eccentricity : 06-03-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie's Avatar
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie Oregon_Coast_Trekkie is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,271
Default

Plus, these ships are going to be incredibly advanced. I mean, after all, if the ships can travel faster than light, they can probably do odd maneuvers.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Yagami Crewman's Avatar
Yagami Crewman Yagami Crewman is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goose Creek, South Carolina
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentricity View Post
The writing seems to evoke more emotion than in TOS. I especially thought "World Enough and Time" was an excellent episode. I would also like to see the time tables moved up a bit. Seems like we are getting one episode per year on average. However, I would rather wait for top quality episodes than to get sloppy episodes done quickly. As for maneuverability, well, we saw starships at Wolf 359 making 90 degree turns at (full?) impulse (see DS9 episode one). A 90 degree turn is far more inertia-defying than the maneuvers we have seen in Phase II.

The one thing that annoyed me was Chekov's death. Knowing that he survived the motion pictures, they killed him anyhow and created a new time line. I almost wonder if they did this to escape canon scrutiny. Now, with this new time line, they can pretty much do what they want.
Um... a 90 degree skew turn is one thing and I think it fits in with similar TOS shots where the Enterprise would do a snap heading change, but the only ship I think I ever saw doing a 360 degree barrel roll like "In Harm's Way" was the Defiant on Deep Space Nine. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying for a production that is intended to look like TOS, the manuevering was a bit excessive and needed to be toned down... As they have done.

As for Chekov's death... it was done with Koenig's eager approval. Yes they recognize that he can't be killed off but think of it as an episode that was an hour long PLUS 5 minutes. They deliberately put the happy conclusion in the five minutes you didn't see because the idea that Chekov was actually going to die is clearly more powerful to see him facing the sum of his life under those circumstances than... "Oh! And here's the happy part where McCoy synthesizes a miracle cure and so the situation only looked bad for Chekov just like "Spectre of the Gun" or all the other episodes where we got a nice gift wrapped tag that double talked the main characters back to life. Imagine if you HAD seen that in 1969! What a story. (And you of course DO see Chekov back at his post in the next episode.)

So all that happened is they deliberately left off the happy resolution. No change in time line, canon or anything. Just a sneaky UNDERHANDED way to make a more powerful story for Koenig's last outing as Chekov.
__________________
Ever notice that many of the same people who want variety in life frown very hard on vanilla... But without Vanilla, Baskin Robbins just wouldn't BE 31 flavors.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 AM
USS_Essex's Avatar
USS_Essex USS_Essex is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
So all that happened is they deliberately left off the happy resolution. No change in time line, canon or anything. Just a sneaky UNDERHANDED way to make a more powerful story for Koenig's last outing as Chekov.
2nd last outing actually. Star Trek Of God's and Men was filmed after he completed To Serve All My Days. And let's hope not really his last.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Yagami Crewman's Avatar
Yagami Crewman Yagami Crewman is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goose Creek, South Carolina
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
2nd last outing actually. Star Trek Of God's and Men was filmed after he completed To Serve All My Days. And let's hope not really his last.
Fair enough! I was not sure which had shot last.
__________________
Ever notice that many of the same people who want variety in life frown very hard on vanilla... But without Vanilla, Baskin Robbins just wouldn't BE 31 flavors.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

I do like seeing all our fav Trek actors appearing in, and even creating fan webisodes!!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Eccentricity's Avatar
Eccentricity Eccentricity is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default

I'm not sure why barrel rolls would be a difficult maneuver. The ship has inertial dampeners and even modern day fighter craft can perform these maneuvers relatively easy inside the atmosphere. What I *don't* see is why the barrel roll was even necessary. In 360 degree space, 90 degree turns in any direction would be a more effective way of avoiding enemy fire than rolling the ship. The ship, in a roll, still has exactly the same amount of surface area facing to the rear as it does normally.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Yagami Crewman's Avatar
Yagami Crewman Yagami Crewman is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goose Creek, South Carolina
Posts: 1,141
Default

The manuever wasn't necessary. When the Defiant uses a manuever like that it's to give her forward fixed phaser cannons as much tracking time on a manuevering target as they fire.

I see exactly what you are saying about it CAN be done, but I'm merely saying there was no real reason for the ship handling so notably different from every other appearance of that class vessel. It was unneeded flash that detracted from the action IMO.

By the way... Anyone else notice that when the movie Enterprise makes her dramatic appearance, the top of the Saucer reads NCC-1701, but the underside is NCC-1701-A.
__________________
Ever notice that many of the same people who want variety in life frown very hard on vanilla... But without Vanilla, Baskin Robbins just wouldn't BE 31 flavors.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
The manuever wasn't necessary. When the Defiant uses a manuever like that it's to give her forward fixed phaser cannons as much tracking time on a manuevering target as they fire.

I see exactly what you are saying about it CAN be done, but I'm merely saying there was no real reason for the ship handling so notably different from every other appearance of that class vessel. It was unneeded flash that detracted from the action IMO.

By the way... Anyone else notice that when the movie Enterprise makes her dramatic appearance, the top of the Saucer reads NCC-1701, but the underside is NCC-1701-A.
Which film are we talking here?
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Yagami Crewman's Avatar
Yagami Crewman Yagami Crewman is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goose Creek, South Carolina
Posts: 1,141
Default

"In Harm's Way" Kirk orders the Farragut into the Planet Killer and Pike follows in the Daedelus. Kirk intends to self destruct Farragut inside the machine but as he is about to give the self destuct order, we start hearing James Horner music and The refit Enterprise comes flying out of a rift with Admiral Kirk telling them to get out.
__________________
Ever notice that many of the same people who want variety in life frown very hard on vanilla... But without Vanilla, Baskin Robbins just wouldn't BE 31 flavors.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.