The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Truly amazing - REAL LIFE 'First Contact'! (MUST SEE!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 AM
Midshipman

Exclamation Truly amazing - REAL LIFE 'First Contact'! (MUST SEE!)

Check out this link at CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ...bes/index.html

You will see dramatic pictures of a very remote Amazon tribe that has never been contacted by humans.

Why am I posting this on a Star Trek forum?

Simple - it's a honest to goodness real life FIRST CONTACT.

Look carefully at the photos - the men in the tribe are pointing their bows at the airplane taking their picture. They have no idea what the hell they are looking at.

I am sure you can all recall many 'first contact' episodes of Star Trek throughout the various series.

In fact, we all know about the golden rule - The Prime Directive.

If you read the story at the above link you can even see wordings from the groups that want to protect these tribes that suggest they are trying to come up with a real life 'Prime Directive'.

The truly amazes me to no end. The is CLEARLY the closest anything in Star Trek has ever come to being as real as the show!

I remember a Voyager episode where Seven and Chakotay crash land on a planet with primitive people, and they do their best to avoid messing with their natural evolution. But very quickly Chakotay is shocked to see the men of the tribe ( ventoo I think they were called ) painting their face with his tatoo.

So now imagine real life, the above tribe in the Amazon. They see this thing in the sky - they no nothing about airplanes, nothing about the outside world - just like the fictonal Ventoo from Voyager.

We have ALREADY contaminted their culture by flying over their camp! You can clearly see in the pictures the men like I said aiming their bows at the airplane. Are they in fear of the thing in the sky, thus they are defending themselves? Are they seeing a god that they want to kill? Do they think it is some kind of large bird? Why did they react that way, instead of say, bowing down on their knees to worship a new god or something?

I cannot say how amazed I am at this. I have always known that there were many tribes in the Amazon never contacted and are truly pure 'virgin' tribes. But the pictures evoked a powerful reaction in me. After the amazement faded, I thought of course of Star Trek and the prime directive!

I knew right away I had to share this with fellow fans.
What do you all think?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Federation Councillor

What a great story. Shame the tribe couldn't have been left alone, and only observed.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 AM
Midshipman

Perhaps we need a cloaked observation blind!

( Then again those always seen to end up in disaster )
Old 05-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *THEM* View Post
Perhaps we need a cloaked observation blind!

( Then again those always seen to end up in disaster )
I guess it's sad that they ruined their worldveiw by trying to impose ours on them.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Here's an idea which may help assuage some of the 'guilt' felt for 'contacting' these people:

If they're afraid of a passing plane as an unknown, then it's likely not the only unknown they've encountered. And by definition, they don't know what it is, so they have no way of processing the idea "gee, we were just buzzed by an airplane from an advanced civilzation elsewhere on the planet -- dang, now our closed society is contaminated. I feel oddly compelled to go buy a pair of Nikes now."

They'll deal viewing a plane as they would any other intrusion into their sheltered lives, according to their own ways and beliefs. Now if a group of 'us' marched in and wanted to save their souls by teaching them the Bible and forcing them to wear western 'decent' clothing... then I'd say for sure we violated a 'Prime Directive'.

But this was a fly-by. Besides, could we even really know this is the first plane they've seen? Maybe they've reacted the same way to planes passing overhead for decades now... this just happened to be the first one which took notice of the viewers.

I get the point being made, of course, but on the other hand I don't think the Prime Directive means 'hide and don't explore any new areas ever, lest some new civilzation spot you and wave a stick at you." I'm not sure being observed by someone else is de facto 'first contact' since no direct contact was made... and deliberately so, from what I read.

If anything, with the noted groups which work to PROTECT these isolated tribes, now that this group has been discovered, perhaps the odds are now much greater this civilzation WON'T be spoiled or contaminated... because now we know where to are in order to keep them isolated from our intrusion.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Here's an idea which may help assuage some of the 'guilt' felt for 'contacting' these people:

If they're afraid of a passing plane as an unknown, then it's likely not the only unknown they've encountered. And by definition, they don't know what it is, so they have no way of processing the idea "gee, we were just buzzed by an airplane from an advanced civilzation elsewhere on the planet -- dang, now our closed society is contaminated. I feel oddly compelled to go buy a pair of Nikes now."

They'll deal viewing a plane as they would any other intrusion into their sheltered lives, according to their own ways and beliefs. Now if a group of 'us' marched in and wanted to save their souls by teaching them the Bible and forcing them to wear western 'decent' clothing... then I'd say for sure we violated a 'Prime Directive'.

But this was a fly-by. Besides, could we even really know this is the first plane they've seen? Maybe they've reacted the same way to planes passing overhead for decades now... this just happened to be the first one which took notice of the viewers.

I get the point being made, of course, but on the other hand I don't think the Prime Directive means 'hide and don't explore any new areas ever, lest some new civilzation spot you and wave a stick at you." I'm not sure being observed by someone else is de facto 'first contact' since no direct contact was made... and deliberately so, from what I read.

If anything, with the noted groups which work to PROTECT these isolated tribes, now that this group has been discovered, perhaps the odds are now much greater this civilzation WON'T be spoiled or contaminated... because now we know where to are in order to keep them isolated from our intrusion.
Noble thoughts Mission, but I have my doubts.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Ensign

Jeez, we shouldn't have made contact just yet, they're pre-warp civilization.

Now seriously, I remember reading somewhere that, a while ago, some TV crew came to a village whose residents claimed that they had never seen a white person before. Camera guy of the TV crew sneaked around a little bit, and guess what - there was a TV standing on a table in one of the tents.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdies View Post
Jeez, we shouldn't have made contact just yet, they're pre-warp civilization.

Now seriously, I remember reading somewhere that, a while ago, some TV crew came to a village whose residents claimed that they had never seen a white person before. Camera guy of the TV crew sneaked around a little bit, and guess what - there was a TV standing on a table in one of the tents.
You never saw The Flintstones and their Stone TV??!!