The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Klingons - Old or New Look?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
Or perhaps some individually carved foreheads, laced with gemstones and metal bands - that would be truly original and quite well within Klingon measures of taste.
Makes you wonder what Worf was up to in his quarters during TNG, given how much his forehead changed!

'Permission to leave the bridge, Captain: I need to get my head cut!'
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Midshipman

Obviously with low budgets in the 60's it was difficult to make alien species any different from humans. Then, with the introduction of TNG in the late 80's they 'revamped' the Klingons. Then they had to explain the 'change', in "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9) Worf said "We do not speak of it" about the difference in forehead 'design'. In "Affliction"/"Divergence" (ENT) the difference was explained. It'd be fun to see a mixture though and to see if 'flat-headed' Klingons are the 'scapegoats' of the Empire...

Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku View Post
Question: If Klingons do appear in the film, do you prefer the TOS-TV look or TOS-Movie look?
If there are Klingons, I bet they could do the TOS look and just update it a little bit. Just as in Enterprise. I mean after explaining it in Enterprise I think you may have to run with it.

This maybe why the Romulans are the possible bad guys in the film, so the production team doesn't have to mess with the Klingons. Just a thought.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Ensign

Post forged in fire

I recently finished reading Star Trek Excelsior: Forged in Fire. Its a very good read that goes into how Curzon Dax became a well known diplomat from the Federation to the Klingons, and how Hikaru Sulu Became Master of the USS Excelsior. The Book relatively follows a mistake named Qagh, which literally translates to mistake in federation standard from Klingonese (so the book states), At the end of the novel It explains how Klingons were returned to their Honored status of having cranial ridges.
The Smooth faced Klingons known as QucHa', were created as a result of Airk Soong's attempt to Recreate augments similar to those of the Eugenics war, the Klingons create their own genetically enhanced super soldiers which was a result of Soong's augments massacring an entire Klingon battleship's crew. DNA from the human Augments were spliced into Klingon DNA to create their own Augments from fear of Star Fleet having their own Augmented crews running around the Galaxy. These New Klingon Augments had Human Facial features, were stronger, and more inelegant. A Klingon Scientist Named Antaak spliced off DNA from a Human Augment which had Levodian Flu, which caused the flu to become mutated and airborne. This new Flu started affecting non Augmented Klingons killing them off left and right.
Dr. Phlox's (which he was abducted in ENT. Episode:Affliction, and Divergence) along with Capt. Archers DNA, created a retro virus. It was the retro virus which caused in the affected Klingons to have the Human like features. Now back to the Book, the book states that not every Klingon required the the retrovirus. With that in mind It would make perfect sense to have booth QucHa' and HemQuch. (traditional Cranial ridged Klingons.
IMHO, This was a very interesting way to explain the lack of ridges in the TOS, and the more traditional appearance we see now, as well as the somewhat smooth ridged Klingon in ST VI.(general Chang, Colonel Worf, Chancellor Gorkon) Both the two episodes and the book I mentioned earlier are a great tie together to explain unanswered questions that many have in regards to the two forms of Klingons we see.
It was also known that before the mass return to the cranial ridges (which was discovered by CMO from one of the IKS in the Imperial Fleet, named Hughrom) that to save face from the Levodian Flu's retrovirus, that some Klingons would sugerically implant Fake ridges an a futile attempt to retain their birth rights.
This was my attempt to answer the Question of why there are two types of Klingons and how they were returned to their "glorious" appearance. Some people say that the novels are not the best way to carry on cannon, due to many different authors and their own interpretation. However more books are showing up with a lot of researching and help from major trek players who helped create the cannon we know as Star Trek.

~ Joe
Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Ensign

I think it's got to be the new look.
Space the final frontier; these are the continuing voyages of the Starship Enterprise, her on going mission, to explore strange new worlds to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant

WE have already had one or two of these topics but my stance remains, it all comes down to JJ.

We cannot discredit ENT as they are clearly cannon so if the are smoothheads in that era then smoothheads they will be.

However if JJ is taking cannon into his own hands then he could very easily just use Gene Roddenberry's excuse of that the new look klingons were the original design but because of budget it had to be humanoid like.

HardyCofE
Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

new. period.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
new. period.
i explained why i think the new ones should be but why do u think so ?

HardyCofE
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Lieutenant

I'd like to see it in between... like we saw in TMP, but it like the beginning of the virus or whatever that caused them to look like that in TOS
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Midshipman

As one of the earlier posters said, there is no reason to believe that ALL Klingons were infected with the "Affliction" that we saw in Enterprise. So, if there are Klingons in this film at all, it would not "break canon" to see them with ridges on their heads. It would simply prove that either:

1) Not all Klingons were affected.

or

2) Some Klingons chose to have cosmetic surgery to retain the ridged look.