The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Sheild Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I really am talking solely about the Star Trek Universe, in which that is the basic description of a forcefield and the basic principle behind a deflector--or at least as the TNG Tech Manual puts it.

It describes shields as a graviton-based distortion field that aborbs and dissipates the energy from a hit in the form of heat, visibly seen as a brief flash upon impact. The spatial distortion is confined solely at the point of impact, causing an object to bounce off or stop just shy of reaching the actual hull of the ship. The strength of a shield is based on its ability to effectively dissipate heat/energy. When the shield generators have exceeded their maximum rated dissipation capacity, the ability to protect the ship begins to drop by percentages the longer the shield is under attack.
Ok...TNG episodes have used Gravitions and Gravity pretty interchangably, so are Gravitions just focused gravity?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Ok...TNG episodes have used Gravitions and Gravity pretty interchangably, so are Gravitions just focused gravity?
In a way, yes. Gravitons are generally used in the creation of both forcefields and artificial gravity, with the primary difference that artificial gravity generators create a graviton field that provides a constant orientation of "down" on the decks of Federation starships and space stations, IMO...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:

It's a theoretical jump; however, photons are the... 'base unit' of light.

(Oversimplification, yes; however, discussing the dual wave/particle function of light, gravity, etc., would take a CONSIDERABLY longer post... *Grin*)

So - gravitons are the particle-interpretation that mirrors the 'field' nature of gravity. As such, the can - VERY loosely speaking - be used as interchangeably as you would use 'photons' and 'light-waves' - or, for that matter, 'nucleus' and 'nucleons' (protons and neutrons).

A 'gravity field' is made up of the 'gravitons' within; these are all matters of a gravitic nature, and as such, are guided by gravitational laws...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Ok, I can see where both of you are coming form, but wouldn't the gravitational laws of thsi universe cease to apply when sheids are engaged at warp? Since warp is taking place in an 'alternate universe", so to speak, or does the warp bubble created take along a pcoket of this universe? Are sheilds in the warp bubble, or outside?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Ok, I can see where both of you are coming form, but wouldn't the gravitational laws of thsi universe cease to apply when sheids are engaged at warp?
Shields are different than warp fields--the spatial distortion is not to the degree of that created by warp engines. It's enough to prevent radiation, directed energy beams (including transporter beams), and solid objects from impacting the ship but everything else works fine--or at least the way Federation science wants it to work.

Quote:
Since warp is taking place in an 'alternate universe", so to speak, or does the warp bubble created take along a pcoket of this universe? Are sheilds in the warp bubble, or outside?
Shields operate within a ship's warp envelope. The TNG Tech Manual----lists that shields do effect warp engine performance somewhat because it's essentially a bubble within a bubble, but that there are methods to compensate for that. The primary impact that shields have on warp engines is mainly a notable increase in its warp field geometry (makes a ship slightly sluggish while accelerating through the higher warp factors), but other than that the effect is negligible, I would think...
Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Shields are different than warp fields--the spatial distortion is not to the degree of that created by warp engines. It's enough to prevent radiation, directed energy beams (including transporter beams), and solid objects from impacting the ship but everything else works fine--or at least the way Federation science wants it to work.
Ok, I can buy that...

Quote:
Shields operate within a ship's warp envelope. The TNG Tech Manual----lists that shields do effect warp engine performance somewhat because it's essentially a bubble within a bubble, but that there are methods to compensate for that. The primary impact that shields have on warp engines is mainly a notable increase in its warp field geometry (makes a ship slightly sluggish while accelerating through the higher warp factors), but other than that the effect is negligible, I would think...
Ok so you have an artifical gravity/graviton sheilding system creating a "gravity barrier" You also have a warp feild in operation, so I would assume there has to be some space between them?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Ok so you have an artifical gravity/graviton sheilding system creating a "gravity barrier" You also have a warp feild in operation, so I would assume there has to be some space between them?
I would think so too, and that the space between them increases at higher warp speeds, causing a change in a ship's overall warp field that degrades engine efficiency somewhat.

But shields and artificial gravity systems are really two separate pieces of technology that just share a common element--graviton fields--but they use them in different ways. They don't work together to form a "gravity barrier", per se. Shields use graviton fields as a barrier outside the ship, while artificial gravity gravity uses 'em as a pulling force inside the ship to create a constant sense of "down" according to whatever environmental regulations Starfleet might have for that. They work independently of each other and are considered separate systems (shields are considered part of the tactical systems, while artificial gravity is linked with the environmental systems).
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I would think so too, and that the space between them increases at higher warp speeds, causing a change in a ship's overall warp field that degrades engine efficiency somewhat.

But shields and artificial gravity systems are really two separate pieces of technology that just share a common element--graviton fields--but they use them in different ways. They don't work together to form a "gravity barrier", per se. Shields use graviton fields as a barrier outside the ship, while artificial gravity gravity uses 'em as a pulling force inside the ship to create a constant sense of "down" according to whatever environmental regulations Starfleet might have for that. They work independently of each other and are considered separate systems (shields are considered part of the tactical systems, while artificial gravity is linked with the environmental systems).
I figured sheilds and gravity plating/artifical gravity were mutually exclusive ideas. But I wonder if the sheild configuration can severly alter the warp feild if not claibrated right?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I figured sheilds and gravity plating/artifical gravity were mutually exclusive ideas. But I wonder if the sheild configuration can severly alter the warp feild if not claibrated right?
Oh, yeah. The TNGTM (I refuse to call it the TNG Technical Manual anymore--saves a lot of typing, doncha think?) does mention that if the shields could reduce warp engine efficiency up to 32% if things aren't balanced right.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Oh, yeah. The TNGTM (I refuse to call it the TNG Technical Manual anymore--saves a lot of typing, doncha think?) does mention that if the shields could reduce warp engine efficiency up to 32% if things aren't balanced right.
Cool...looks like Sternbach was thinking on that one!