The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Sheild Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Sheild Technology

Did it remain the same from TOS to TNG? Did it Change? What's it even based on?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Unlikely, most likely,don't know.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Gravitons, apparently... (But that would have the side effect of warping light round the ship, the same as cloaking)

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

My 'general theory' of sheilding technology....?

Here goes:

First off, 'battle shields' are NOT ramped-up deflectors; the deflector dish puts out 'low-power' paired tractor/repulsor beams to form a 'wedge' that pushes aside everything from particles to meteors. (In my opinion.)

Shields, on the other hand, are 'simply' an energy-conversion matrix; just as photovoltaic 'solar panels' convert sunlight into electricity, so do shields convert various forms of power (including kinetic, or 'impact',) into some form of storable power. However, like solar panels, there is an efficiency gap - it only converts a percentage, and the 'left over' is what gets through to the ship.

I would presume later-generation sheilding would have a higher conversion efficiency that older types...

(All the above is a combination of seeing shields in action, extrapolation from 'technobabble', and an awful lot of pure guesswork. Take it as you will..)

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Rear Admiral

Works for me. Maybe shields "collapse" when their energy dissipation/absorption rate is overwhelmed and generator efficiency begins to drop.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Maybe shields "collapse" when their energy dissipation/absorption rate is overwhelmed and generator efficiency begins to drop.
What else would they do, fade away?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralroot View Post
What else would they do, fade away?
"Shields are collapsing" probably just sounds better to Starfleet engineers than "Shields are fading."
Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Your ideas sound very plausible, Gunny, though I'm not sure I go along with the weapons defensive shields have the ability to 'store' any of the energy they absorb or deflect from weapons impacts. That sounds like a cool idea, in the sense that if you can optimize energy conversion/storage, literally your shields would be powered by energy weapon attacks -- a great bit of economizing there!

From previous battles and how poorly shields hold up under sustained attacks with high energy weapons, that would imply such conversion/storage technology would be woefully ineffective and impractical in action. I always figured (guesswork) that defensive shields either dissipate or counter-charge repel energy weapon attacks, and there's an obvious limit to how long such energy usage can be prolonged. As shield power weakens, weapons impacts become more effective in damage... versus a shield working perfectly at 100% efficiency until it outright fails to 0% ability.

Literally a shield in the old-school term... a defensive barrier which holds up inversely well to how hard an enemy hacks away at it. Even shield technology as 'advanced' as the Borg's has limitations and (as I recall) cannot convert offensive strikes into shielding power. Their shields were just as vulnerable to direct attack, but the their technological strategy of employing shields 'outsmarted' a fixed range of energy weapon frequencies once sampled.

Off the top of my head, V'ger was the only system capable of taking direct hits from energy weapons and digesting it as power consumption.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

In part, I've taken my theory from 'shield droppage' - i.e.; 'down to 79%'.

What I'm assuming is that there is a 'baseline' power-per-second that shields can handle on an ongoing basis. Increase total overall force hitting them, and you get more 'bleed through'; causing the actual damage to the ship while shields are still 'up', (at whatever reduced-efficiency percentage.)

To extend your own analogy - keep bashing away at a man's shield, and you'll eventually batter your way through. (Shields are now 'down'.)

However, hit the shield once, VERY hard, and you may not punch through the shield... but the man's arm still has to absorb the (somewhat diffused) force of the blow. (Shields are still up, at, say, 50%... but that console blows out, system 'X' goes off-line, etc.)

Again - much of this is conjecture; trying to determine 'cause' from the visible 'effect' we are shown.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

That could well be a good analogy, in that the power strain/rerouting/compensation required to maintain a defensive shield against an attack may well 'shock' other "unrelated" or integrated systems along the line (i.e. holding the shield straining your arm). Seems to make sense, especially as the crew seems to constantly reroute or concentrate power to certain vulnerable or attack-facing shields which are under the most pressure to perform.

But you'd think after all those missions, they'd come up with better "conduits" or circuit shielding to prevent consoles from exploding in operators' faces every other movie.

There should be some give and take between maintaining shield power and disabling other internal systems and controls due to bleed through, overloads, etc. Just once I'd like to see the Romulans attack the Enterprise and shield overloads knock out power to the bowling alley instead of vital bridge functions!

"Captain, we've repelled enemy attack but the food replicators and jukebox in the Deck 18 crew lounge are inoperative."

"Damn, and I really have the munchies after a ship battle!"

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!