The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Best Scene In Any Trek Film?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Captain

Spock's funeral for me- especially when Kirk says "... of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most... human."

Tell me that line didn't bring anyone here to tears.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Spock's funeral for me- especially when Kirk says "... of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most... human."

Great example!!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Lieutenant

The death of the original starship enterprise and seeing the debut of the enterprise E for the first time in first contact.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Picard detaching his pins in "Insurrection" after the discussion with Dougherty.
"Who the hell are we to determine the next course of evolution for this people?"
"We are betraying the principles upon which the federation was founded. It is an attack upon its very soul."
"How many people does it take admiral before it becomes wrong. A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take admiral!"

Shows everything important about ST: Prime Directive, conscience above career and retells the "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"-theme (which is strongly connected to the Prime Directive).
This scene from Insurrection ties with Picard's scene with Lily in the Observation Lounge in First Contact for my favorite movie scene. My favorite part of :
Picard: I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far! No further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!
Lily: You broke your little ships. See you around, Ahab.
Picard: "And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."
Lily: What?
Picard: Moby Dick
Lily: Actually, I never read it.
Picard: Ahab spent years hunting the white whale that crippled him. A quest for vengeance. But...in the end, it destroyed him and his ship.
Lily: I guess he didn't know when to quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post

I wish I liked this scene better. I love the scene and his line is beautiful, but I'm not a Shatner fan, and I dislike his delivery of the line. I'm hoping I can get over his choppy speech and grow to appreciate this scene the way my fiance does, but for now it falls short for me. I do intend to to attempt to appreciate that scene more, if for no other reason than his sake.

Despite my general dislike for the original cast, one TOS movie moment does make my list of greats. I LOVE the "Row, Row, Row your boat" scene at the end of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It makes me laugh every time.

By the way... this thread has prompted my fiance and I to go through the movies and watch our favorite scenes from each (starting, of course, with the introduction to the New Enterprise in TMP). We're calling it a "brief survey of Star Trek".

-----
Edit: Since originally posting, we got to TWoK and I watched Spock's death and funeral. It is actually a great scene. I think I've managed to get mostly over my "I hate Shatner" enough to truly appreciate it.

Last edited by DrPiano : 06-07-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Additional information