The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Best Scene In Any Trek Film?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I have that same problem. Last time I was out to CA, some friends took me to Vasquez Rocks, about 30 miles outside of LA, and they didn't tell me where we were going for a picnic... I kept walking around with this incredible sense of deja vu for about a half hour, before I finally saw the "inclined" ridge that Trek, and about a billion other productions made famous. (Including the Outer Limit's "Zanti Misfits") Too cool of a place!

And when I was in DC several years ago, I couldn't look at all the various monuments without seeing flaying saucers crashing into them. LOL (I have totally wasted my life on science fiction films!)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I have that same problem. Last time I was out to CA, some friends took me to Vasquez Rocks, about 30 miles outside of LA, and they didn't tell me where we were going for a picnic... I kept walking around with this incredible sense of deja vu for about a half hour, before I finally saw the "inclined" ridge that Trek, and about a billion other productions made famous. (Including the Outer Limit's "Zanti Misfits") Too cool of a place!

And when I was in DC several years ago, I couldn't look at all the various monuments without seeing flaying saucers crashing into them. LOL (I have totally wasted my life on science fiction films!)
As have we all!!!.....
Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Reminds me of a similar amusing story: on my first visit to DC with my family, ages ago, we arrived late afternoon and took a mini-bus tour of the Mall area to get our bearings.

A glorious red, gold and blue summer sunset shone behind the Lincoln Memorial and I was mesmerized.... by the fireflies darting under the trees across the street. "Just like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland!"

Here I was in the middle of living American history... and I was geeking out over real fireflies which didn't hang on strings. Total nerd. I did snap out of it quickly and thoroughly enjoyed paying attention to all the monuments and museums over the next week.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Reminds me of a similar amusing story: on my first visit to DC with my family, ages ago, we arrived late afternoon and took a mini-bus tour of the Mall area to get our bearings.

A glorious red, gold and blue summer sunset shone behind the Lincoln Memorial and I was mesmerized.... by the fireflies darting under the trees across the street. "Just like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland!"

Here I was in the middle of living American history... and I was geeking out over real fireflies which didn't hang on strings. Total nerd. I did snap out of it quickly and thoroughly enjoyed paying attention to all the monuments and museums over the next week.
No worse than at 2 am being at the Lincon Memorial reciting lines from Logan's Run (There was a scene at the Lincon Memorial.)
Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Lieutenant

Well I'm not the first to say it, but the summer of 1982 - the summer that gave us E.T. and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - was the height of Star Trek for me. I was just back from my first year of college and along with friends whom I had known since childhood, some high school friends, a girl ''friend'' and a new friend or two from college, and my brother -- we all stood in line and were ''transported'' to the future and ''the best scene(s) in Star Trek.''

I'm speaking of course of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and the entire sequence from the escape from the Genesis effect explosion through the death of Spock, the funeral, the reconciliation between Kirk and his son, to the final words of Kirk on the bridge looking out a the new world while realizing his own best friend was gone. What an emotional wrenching rollercoaster of emotions that was.

And yet, that was the third best moment ever. The second best moment happened just after that...

As I was pushing out through the aisle to leave during the end credits as they scrolled to the wonderful James Horner score high up on the screen, I can still see this one young girl's face - yes, a girl in a Star Trek movie - and a very pretty one at that - statuesque - just standing there - still in the aisle looking up at the credits - one hand to her face still wet from streaming tears - with the bluest eyes I've ever seen - just motionless - frozen in time - devastated by the most emotional sequence in the entire Star Trek franchise to date.

At that one moment I knew what Star Trek was all about. At that one moment I knew Star Trek was back.

Her face still haunts my memory...

I can still feel the thick heat and humidity of an early summer evening hit my face, chilled by the air conditioning from inside the theater, as I walked back outside to ''the real world'' and the sounds of traffic, the distant rumble of a summer thunderstorm, the sound of a car stereo ''oomphing'' as it drove past lines of people standing, waiting to be let inside to see E.T. and Elliott and Kirk and Spock and McCoy...

And then I looked back to see my best friends in the world, all of whom are still my best friends, emerging one-by-one through the hordes exiting the theater. Tom wearing one of his many plaid shirts, my brother Stu with him laughing about something; Sandy with her Kate Kapshaw good-looks (and the one that got away), Chuck, who would one day write a silly movie with me that actually got produced, walking with my other best friend from high school, Brian and another Tom I met while in college...

Love, friends, family and loyalty. It truly was the ''human adventure'' not science fiction that fueled my creative soul. Then I looked at my brother Stu, with whom I played Star Trek growing up, with whom I co-created and wrote Star Trek ''Soldiers of Pawns'' and with whom I planned a grand future in the movie business. It truly was ''the best of times.'' Little did I know that only two years hence he would no longer be on the quest with me.

But for that one magic moment in time, we owned our destinies. That was the first and best moment.

That was also the last time Star Trek movies actually exceeded the hype for me and were even better than I expected.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
Well I'm not the first to say it, but the summer of 1982 - the summer that gave us E.T. and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - was the height of Star Trek for me. I was just back from my first year of college and along with friends whom I had known since childhood, some high school friends, a girl ''friend'' and a new friend or two from college, and my brother -- we all stood in line and were ''transported'' to the future and ''the best scene(s) in Star Trek.''

I'm speaking of course of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and the entire sequence from the escape from the Genesis effect explosion through the death of Spock, the funeral, the reconciliation between Kirk and his son, to the final words of Kirk on the bridge looking out a the new world while realizing his own best friend was gone. What an emotional wrenching rollercoaster of emotions that was.

And yet, that was the third best moment ever. The second best moment happened just after that...

As I was pushing out through the aisle to leave during the end credits as they scrolled to the wonderful James Horner score high up on the screen, I can still see this one young girl's face - yes, a girl in a Star Trek movie - and a very pretty one at that - statuesque - just standing there - still in the aisle looking up at the credits - one hand to her face still wet from streaming tears - with the bluest eyes I've ever seen - just motionless - frozen in time - devastated by the most emotional sequence in the entire Star Trek franchise to date.

At that one moment I knew what Star Trek was all about. At that one moment I knew Star Trek was back.

Her face still haunts my memory...

I can still feel the thick heat and humidity of an early summer evening hit my face, chilled by the air conditioning from inside the theater, as I walked back outside to ''the real world'' and the sounds of traffic, the distant rumble of a summer thunderstorm, the sound of a car stereo ''oomphing'' as it drove past lines of people standing, waiting to be let inside to see E.T. and Elliott and Kirk and Spock and McCoy...

And then I looked back to see my best friends in the world, all of whom are still my best friends, emerging one-by-one through the hordes exiting the theater. Tom wearing one of his many plaid shirts, my brother Stu with him laughing about something; Sandy with her Kate Kapshaw good-looks (and the one that got away), Chuck, who would one day write a silly movie with me that actually got produced, walking with my other best friend from high school, Brian and another Tom I met while in college...

Love, friends, family and loyalty. It truly was the ''human adventure'' not science fiction that fueled my creative soul. Then I looked at my brother Stu, with whom I played Star Trek growing up, with whom I co-created and wrote Star Trek ''Soldiers of Pawns'' and with whom I planned a grand future in the movie business. It truly was ''the best of times.'' Little did I know that only two years hence he would no longer be on the quest with me.

But for that one magic moment in time, we owned our destinies. That was the first and best moment.

That was also the last time Star Trek movies actually exceeded the hype for me and were even better than I expected.
What a great story!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Lieutenant

I liked the prison scene in Star Trek V very funny seeing the banta and the morse code!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Picard detaching his pins in "Insurrection" after the discussion with Dougherty.
"Who the hell are we to determine the next course of evolution for this people?"
"We are betraying the principles upon which the federation was founded. It is an attack upon its very soul."
"How many people does it take admiral before it becomes wrong. A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take admiral!"

Shows everything important about ST: Prime Directive, conscience above career and retells the "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"-theme (which is strongly connected to the Prime Directive).

Yes, I loved Picard before he turned into a buggy-driver in "Nemesis" and i love some fine line of dialogue
Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Picard detaching his pins in "Insurrection" after the discussion with Dougherty.
"Who the hell are we to determine the next course of evolution for this people?"
"We are betraying the principles upon which the federation was founded. It is an attack upon its very soul."
"How many people does it take admiral before it becomes wrong. A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take admiral!"

Shows everything important about ST: Prime Directive, conscience above career and retells the "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"-theme (which is strongly connected to the Prime Directive).

Yes, I loved Picard before he turned into a buggy-driver in "Nemesis" and i love some fine line of dialogue
I miss the Picard of FC!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Patrick Stewart is a terrific actor but why did he want more sex and action for his character in the movies? He was great in "First Contact" (did he play Picard or Ahab, I don't rememeber), OK in "Insurrection" (his relation with Lilly was far more interesting than some cliché romance with Anij) and buggy-driving in Nemesis, no comment.