The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Sisko As Emmisary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

I doubt his survival was left to chance at Wolf 359, who knows perhaps he's been guided ever since by the Prophets. Things that seem circumstancial with a little more insight may reveal that his life was charted. The Prophets exist in a circular concept of time. In a way Time dosen't exist for them. As we saw they're capable of moving to any point in time making verb tense an unnecessary part of grammar.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
...As we saw they're capable of moving to any point in time making verb tense an unnecessary part of grammar.
Which can be quite annoying. If I were Sisko, I would have said, "Speak English!" lol

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

I know!...
Why couldn't they comprehend linear time? Some of them obviously spent time in the universe to actually experience it.

I do like the way they expressed Sisko's state of mind though. They asked why do you exist here? Referring to his inability to let go the death of his wife.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
So, his entire purpose of existance was to be the Emissary? I was a little dissapointed when the Prophets told him that. I mean, he's human, was born like any other member of the Federation, and ever since he was in command of this station to protect Bajor, he became known as the Emissary. What if he was killed at Wolf 359 with Jennifer? What if his position as commander of Deep Space Nine was cancelled? There are so many possibilities and it just seems a little odd that he happened to come to be the Emissary. I guess we can thank Starfleet for allowing him the rank as Commander/Captain or else he would not be around to protect Bajor...or would he?
Sisko being born to be the Emissary may not have been predestined, but it might have been later on. Being non-linear lifeforms, it's possible that "Emissary" was the first time the Prophets were aware of Benjamin Sisko, but then they went back in time and made sure that he would indeed become their Emissary later. They engineered the path that would bring Sisko to them after the fact (something that perhaps only a godlike non-linear life-form could do).

Under that criteria, you could also say that that Sisko was born to become the commander of Deep Space Nine...
Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Rear Admiral

So, I'm guessing that the Occupation was something necessary in order for Sisko to come to Deep Space Nine.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
So, I'm guessing that the Occupation was something necessary in order for Sisko to come to Deep Space Nine.
Not necessarily, IMO. It could have been anything that could have led Sisko to come to Bajor--the Occupation, some kind of natural disaster, or simply Bajor just wanting to join the Federation. As long as it was something that would bring a Starfleet officer to Bajor at that particular time. I think Deep Space Nine could have been a Bajoran-built station or even a quickly built Federation-designed station, had things turned out slightly differently. I would think certain conditions (like a need for a Starfleet presence at Bajor) had to be set in place, but the actual particulars weren't important to the Prophets--but that's just my take on it, though because of how vague the various Bajoran prophecies regarding the Emissary were...

On the other hand, the Occupation may have been something that was going to happen no matter what and the Prophets decided that afterwards was the time the Bajorans would need the Emissary the most in the way Kai Opaka was needed during the Occupation...
Old 05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Rear Admiral

Logical.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Not necessarily, IMO. It could have been anything that could have led Sisko to come to Bajor--the Occupation, some kind of natural disaster, or simply Bajor just wanting to join the Federation. As long as it was something that would bring a Starfleet officer to Bajor at that particular time. I think Deep Space Nine could have been a Bajoran-built station or even a quickly built Federation-designed station, had things turned out slightly differently. I would think certain conditions (like a need for a Starfleet presence at Bajor) had to be set in place, but the actual particulars weren't important to the Prophets--but that's just my take on it, though because of how vague the various Bajoran prophecies regarding the Emissary were...

On the other hand, the Occupation may have been something that was going to happen no matter what and the Prophets decided that afterwards was the time the Bajorans would need the Emissary the most in the way Kai Opaka was needed during the Occupation...
So all roads lead to Bajor?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Rear Admiral

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."

Fans Expendable
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
But Ferengi don't go 88 miles per hour, not economically sound you know!! ROFL!!