The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Sisko As Emmisary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

I doubt his survival was left to chance at Wolf 359, who knows perhaps he's been guided ever since by the Prophets. Things that seem circumstancial with a little more insight may reveal that his life was charted. The Prophets exist in a circular concept of time. In a way Time dosen't exist for them. As we saw they're capable of moving to any point in time making verb tense an unnecessary part of grammar.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
...As we saw they're capable of moving to any point in time making verb tense an unnecessary part of grammar.
Which can be quite annoying. If I were Sisko, I would have said, "Speak English!" lol
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

I know!...
Why couldn't they comprehend linear time? Some of them obviously spent time in the universe to actually experience it.

I do like the way they expressed Sisko's state of mind though. They asked why do you exist here? Referring to his inability to let go the death of his wife.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
So, his entire purpose of existance was to be the Emissary? I was a little dissapointed when the Prophets told him that. I mean, he's human, was born like any other member of the Federation, and ever since he was in command of this station to protect Bajor, he became known as the Emissary. What if he was killed at Wolf 359 with Jennifer? What if his position as commander of Deep Space Nine was cancelled? There are so many possibilities and it just seems a little odd that he happened to come to be the Emissary. I guess we can thank Starfleet for allowing him the rank as Commander/Captain or else he would not be around to protect Bajor...or would he?
Sisko being born to be the Emissary may not have been predestined, but it might have been later on. Being non-linear lifeforms, it's possible that "Emissary" was the first time the Prophets were aware of Benjamin Sisko, but then they went back in time and made sure that he would indeed become their Emissary later. They engineered the path that would bring Sisko to them after the fact (something that perhaps only a godlike non-linear life-form could do).

Under that criteria, you could also say that that Sisko was born to become the commander of Deep Space Nine...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

So, I'm guessing that the Occupation was something necessary in order for Sisko to come to Deep Space Nine.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
So, I'm guessing that the Occupation was something necessary in order for Sisko to come to Deep Space Nine.
Not necessarily, IMO. It could have been anything that could have led Sisko to come to Bajor--the Occupation, some kind of natural disaster, or simply Bajor just wanting to join the Federation. As long as it was something that would bring a Starfleet officer to Bajor at that particular time. I think Deep Space Nine could have been a Bajoran-built station or even a quickly built Federation-designed station, had things turned out slightly differently. I would think certain conditions (like a need for a Starfleet presence at Bajor) had to be set in place, but the actual particulars weren't important to the Prophets--but that's just my take on it, though because of how vague the various Bajoran prophecies regarding the Emissary were...

On the other hand, the Occupation may have been something that was going to happen no matter what and the Prophets decided that afterwards was the time the Bajorans would need the Emissary the most in the way Kai Opaka was needed during the Occupation...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

Logical.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Not necessarily, IMO. It could have been anything that could have led Sisko to come to Bajor--the Occupation, some kind of natural disaster, or simply Bajor just wanting to join the Federation. As long as it was something that would bring a Starfleet officer to Bajor at that particular time. I think Deep Space Nine could have been a Bajoran-built station or even a quickly built Federation-designed station, had things turned out slightly differently. I would think certain conditions (like a need for a Starfleet presence at Bajor) had to be set in place, but the actual particulars weren't important to the Prophets--but that's just my take on it, though because of how vague the various Bajoran prophecies regarding the Emissary were...

On the other hand, the Occupation may have been something that was going to happen no matter what and the Prophets decided that afterwards was the time the Bajorans would need the Emissary the most in the way Kai Opaka was needed during the Occupation...
So all roads lead to Bajor?
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,622
Default

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
But Ferengi don't go 88 miles per hour, not economically sound you know!! ROFL!!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.