The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Sisko As Emmisary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Sisko As Emmisary

Did you think he served the Bajoran people well as their emmisary?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Rear Admiral

I think he did very well. IMO, the reason why a non-Bajoran was chosen as the Emissary was because the Prophets (or wormhole aliens) wanted someone who was above the political/religious infighting going on in Bajoran society. As a Starfleet officer, a citizen of the Federation, Sisko had no personal ambitions in any aspect of Bajoran society and his initial reluctance to accept the role of the Emissary really made him ideally suited for it, IMO.
Quote:
KAI OPAKA: Ironic...one who does not wish to be among us is to be the Emissary...
Even after Sisko finally began to feel more comfortable with his role as the Emissary and even accept it, he was still sort of above the minutae and emotional baggage that most Bajorans were struggling with after the Cardassian Occupation. That enabled him--at least to me--to concentrate on the larger picture, namely keeping Bajor from being destroyed during the Dominion War and dealing with the Pah-wraiths...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I think he did very well. IMO, the reason why a non-Bajoran was chosen as the Emissary was because the Prophets (or wormhole aliens) wanted someone who was above the political/religious infighting going on in Bajoran society. As a Starfleet officer, a citizen of the Federation, Sisko had no personal ambitions in any aspect of Bajoran society and his initial reluctance to accept the role of the Emissary really made him ideally suited for it, IMO.

Even after Sisko finally began to feel more comfortable with his role as the Emissary and even accept it, he was still sort of above the minutae and emotional baggage that most Bajorans were struggling with after the Cardassian Occupation. That enabled him--at least to me--to concentrate on the larger picture, namely keeping Bajor from being destroyed during the Dominion War and dealing with the Pah-wraiths...
I agree with that well stated post ther Commodore. But my question allways was, why him? A non-Bajoran, ok can see that, makes sense for all the reasons you listed.

But why Sisko? Was it his experiences? The fact in the first episode they knew he lacked purpose and they figured he was smart enough, and needed purpose? That non-linear time didn't freak him out?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I agree with that well stated post ther Commodore. But my question allways was, why him? A non-Bajoran, ok can see that, makes sense for all the reasons you listed.

But why Sisko? Was it his experiences? The fact in the first episode they knew he lacked purpose and they figured he was smart enough, and needed purpose? That non-linear time didn't freak him out?
In cases like that, you can almost ask "Why not him?" It could be that he was simply at the right place and at the right time to be Emissary. A twist of fate might have resulted in someone else being the Emissary, but I think it would still have to been a Starfleet officer who was in command of DS9 myself...

But some people have questioned the concept of the Prophets and their non-linear existence. It could have been a case of that the Prophets went back in time and arranged events for Benjamin Sisko to be their Emissary before they even were aware of his existence.*

*Yeah, that doesn't make too much sense to me either, but that's the problem with being in non-linear time--effect sometimes comes before cause.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
In cases like that, you can almost ask "Why not him?" It could be that he was simply at the right place and at the right time to be Emissary. A twist of fate might have resulted in someone else being the Emissary, but I think it would still have to been a Starfleet officer who was in command of DS9 myself...

But some people have questioned the concept of the Prophets and their non-linear existence. It could have been a case of that the Prophets went back in time and arranged events for Benjamin Sisko to be their Emissary before they even were aware of his existence.*

*Yeah, that doesn't make too much sense to me either, but that's the problem with being in non-linear time--effect sometimes comes before cause.
Ok, I can accept that.

But if they are in non lineral time, I take it to mean the past, present, and future are all in their "right here, right now" view.
So they can be talking to Sisko, as they pick him at birth, and guide him along on DS9 at the same time?

Of course linear time seems to be a human concept/perception. Wonder if for another race that they see time as what we would call 'non linear?"
Old 05-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

His mother was possessed by a prophet. That would seem to mean things were quite arranged.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Ok, I can accept that.

But if they are in non lineral time, I take it to mean the past, present, and future are all in their "right here, right now" view.
So they can be talking to Sisko, as they pick him at birth, and guide him along on DS9 at the same time?
That's actually a pretty good idea of what I'm thinking about.

The Prophets, for all their incredible power, had no concept whatsoever of past, present, and future. It was all the same to them. What was, what is, and what will be--there was no difference between those states to them. They didn't understand what Sisko meant by linear time or cause and effect.

I would take it that from that initial meeting, the Prophets then went back in time to arrange events so that Sisko would be their Emissary. While that may seem unnecessary from the standpoint that Sisko was already there in front of them, that first meeting might not have happened if the Prophets hadn't arranged for him to be born.

To me, that was a case of an effect that the Prophets then went back into the past and arranged the cause.
Quote:
Of course linear time seems to be a human concept/perception.
Or non-linear time is just a Prophet thing. To exist free of the conditions of cause and effect, or of events following a chronological pattern, may be something unique to the Prophets, the Pah-wraiths, the Q, and other such "unaffected beings" that may exist out there (at least Q is aware of linear time).
Quote:
Wonder if for another race that they see time as what we would call 'non linear?"

Not exactly sure what you mean by that...you mean another race that might be non-linear?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
That's actually a pretty good idea of what I'm thinking about.

The Prophets, for all their incredible power, had no concept whatsoever of past, present, and future. It was all the same to them. What was, what is, and what will be--there was no difference between those states to them. They didn't understand what Sisko meant by linear time or cause and effect.

I would take it that from that initial meeting, the Prophets then went back in time to arrange events so that Sisko would be their Emissary. While that may seem unnecessary from the standpoint that Sisko was already there in front of them, that first meeting might not have happened if the Prophets hadn't arranged for him to be born.

To me, that was a case of an effect that the Prophets then went back into the past and arranged the cause.

Or non-linear time is just a Prophet thing. To exist free of the conditions of cause and effect, or of events following a chronological pattern, may be something unique to the Prophets, the Pah-wraiths, the Q, and other such "unaffected beings" that may exist out there (at least Q is aware of linear time).

Not exactly sure what you mean by that...you mean another race that might be non-linear?
So how can they "go back in the past" when it's all happeing at the same time? Shouldn't all outcomes be avilible to them? I know, it get confusing...lol.

But aren't the Phophets aware of linear time, but cannot adhere to it?

Yes that's what I meant, as you metnioned the Q, and others.

Makes one wonder if the Organians, and espeically the Metrons were non liner time races.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
So how can they "go back in the past" when it's all happeing at the same time? Shouldn't all outcomes be avilible to them? I know, it get confusing...lol.

But aren't the Phophets aware of linear time, but cannot adhere to it?
I believe it was Sisko who first informed the Prophets about linear time. In "Emissary," they had no concept of what he was talking about. Sisko used the baseball analogy of one event leading into another and yet another still--of a forward sequence of events. As an unaffected species, the Prophets are likely beyond the point where the laws of the physical universe apply to them. Time probably doesn't mean anything to them--past, present, and future is irrelevant because it has no bearing upon them.

One of the advantages of being a higher life-form, I suppose...
Quote:
Makes one wonder if the Organians, and espeically the Metrons were non liner time races.
Maybe. Maybe not. I think the Organians and Metrons are extremely powerful races, and probably fall into the category of "unaffected species," like the Prophets and the Q. But I think what separates the Prophets is their lack of knowledge about linear time. It was something that didn't apply to them, so they never dealt with it until the Sisko came along, IMO.

I think most unaffected races are so above us little guys that they don't usually get involved in our affairs unless we trample on their turf. It's sort of how most of us don't mess with insects unless they come into our house...
Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Rear Admiral

So, his entire purpose of existance was to be the Emissary? I was a little dissapointed when the Prophets told him that. I mean, he's human, was born like any other member of the Federation, and ever since he was in command of this station to protect Bajor, he became known as the Emissary. What if he was killed at Wolf 359 with Jennifer? What if his position as commander of Deep Space Nine was cancelled? There are so many possibilities and it just seems a little odd that he happened to come to be the Emissary. I guess we can thank Starfleet for allowing him the rank as Commander/Captain or else he would not be around to protect Bajor...or would he?

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable

Last edited by Quark : 05-23-2008 at 04:58 PM.