The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > defiant
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post
ah... so the characters weren't small enough for the big screen?
No they're just fine for the big screen if handled well.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Couldn't disagree withj you more there my friend. Just Sisko and his relationship to the Bajoran people and their Prophets is enough for damned interesting movie. Come on, the guy ended up being something of a messianic figure for a race of people! Talk about going where no one (in Star Trek) has gone before! And that major thread was left dangling and unresolved. I'd love for Jake to see his father again.

But with Odo and his people, Worf, an 'enhanced' Dr. Bashir, Garak, Grand Nagus Rom, the Jem Hadar, a Trill named Dax, their Mirror Universe outings and so so so much more (DS9 had the largest recurring cast of characters of any of the Trek shows) you have more than enough ingredients for a great Star Trek movie. And big enough characters. IMO

Never happen, though.
I saw many realationships unresolved. But the Books resolved the Sisko. He has returned. The relationships aren't a reason to do a big budget movie. A DVD Movie perhaps.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Good creative writing is all that's needed. Come up with a good plot then write story that's entertaining and imaginative. Then write a script that services that story without awkward and painful contortions to appease actors (and fans). It would be insane to try to cram all or even most of the DS9 characters into one movie and impossible to touch on all the relationships. So prudent decisions would need to be made, but that's always the case or should be.

But no, there aren't too many relationships and characters nor are these characters too small for the big screen. In fact if you put both assertions side by side you're saying DS9 is at the same time both too much and not enough for a feature film!? Not the case. Great characters and rich source material are prime ingredients for a good movie.

That said, DS9 is probably better suited for TV I have to agree.
It is a little bit too late now for a DS9 movie, more than ten years have passed since "What You Leave Behind". I see little appeal in a DS9 movie without Sisko and Odo
Change at one place instead of change via different places like in TOS or TNG and an extended ensemble of reoccuring characters are the strong elements of DS9 which work better in TV.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Rear Admiral

Friend Saquist! Friend Horatio!

I'm mostly in agreement with you both, just not 100%.

Horatio, as I said before a DS9 movie's not going to happen. My premise and assertion is and was that with DS9 you have all the basic and raw materials for a good movie. I still believe that at the right time and in the right hands - the right circumstances - we could have gotten one.

Saquist, first I agree the relationships are not a reason to make a big budget film but they can be excellent materials for one. Particularly unresolved relationships. And second you say the books brought Sisko back. Well the books brought Kirk back as well, but the books are not canon my friend, as you well know. So Kirk is back? Yes...no. Sisko back...?

I have to admit I've been playing a bit of the devil's advocate on this thread and like I said I mostly agree with you both...

except where you're wrong.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

TNG had an open end, the sky is the limit, everyone stayed on board and they could have gone on with an eight season theoretically.

DS9 on the other hand had a closed end, characters like Sisko and Odo reached the end of their journey and some took new assignments (O'Brien teaching at the Academy, Worf serving as Ambassador, I don't remember what happend to the other main characters). Some of the minor reoccuring characters had the same fate (I only remember Dukat and Winn).
So a movie would have been possible, but pretty forced after the ending of the series and I doubt that it would have been any good.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Commander

I agree with that, Horatio.

I like the fact that DS9 had a beginning, a middle and an end. I think that I like the fact that there's not a movie, nor will there be. The series is a complete arc and the character progressions are true to that.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well said. That was a distinctive feature of DS9 and one cannot simply pretend that the series could "continue its mission to explore strange new worlds" in movies after the final, which was more suiting for the previous two Trek series.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Admiral

There are always possibilities in Hollywood. Reboot is the craze. New cast, new designs, new effects, I'd say never say never...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
I agree with that, Horatio.

I like the fact that DS9 had a beginning, a middle and an end. I think that I like the fact that there's not a movie, nor will there be. The series is a complete arc and the character progressions are true to that.
In truth I appreciate that complete-ness as well, particularly when the beginning middle and end are satisfying. Still I say a good DS9 movie could be made. Should it be made? Probably not. Will it be made? No way.

In a lot of ways DS9 is my favorite Trek series. The Benjamin/Jake relationship resonates deeply in me. 'The Visitor' is my favorite Trek ep of any series. As much as I liked the the finale ep it gives me a twinge of sadness when I think of Jake. Testament to the film makers to evoke an emotion I suppose.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Lieutenant Commander

ok now lets get back to disscusing the defiant