The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > defiant
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

but it is diesinged to fight the borg
Old 12-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
The Defiant was still fighting the Borg right up to when the Enterprise reach earth which was several hours. Seams like the Defiant proved her worth had a sound design. The Defiant was originally meant to be used in groups not individually.
I said that in an earlier post on the previous page--that the Defiant was meant to be used in a squadron of such ships against the Borg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captian beckett
But one thing to remember is that the Second Borg Offensive was really the first genuine time the Defiant served in her original role as a "Borg buster." Sure, the Dominion War allowed the Defiant to test out her tactical capabilities under real combat scenarios, but that was against Dominion forces.

But when it came time to really face the Borg, though, the Defiant did as well as she could but still wound up getting her butt kicked. That doesn't mean that the Defiant didn't do well against the Borg--she likely fared better than most, IMO, and was still salvageable in the end--but there's always room for improvement, especially for a design that was only three years old at the time of First Contact...heck, the ship was still basically an experimental prototype at that point.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
The Defiant was still fighting the Borg right up to when the Enterprise reach earth which was several hours. Seams like the Defiant proved her worth had a sound design. The Defiant was originally meant to be used in groups not individually.
I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian beckett View Post
Yes. It was also designed to fight a far less armored Borg Cube. When the Enterprise took on the Borg Cube in Q-who...

Link to Cube damage figures:
http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=7435&page=642

CAD Model:

This was less than a fraction of a percent of the Borg Cube vaporized.
If this was defiant she would have taken out 14 to 16 Percent in the first Volley alone.

But now the Cubes are armored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I said that in an earlier post on the previous page--that the Defiant was meant to be used in a squadron of such ships against the Borg.

But one thing to remember is that the Second Borg Offensive was really the first genuine time the Defiant served in her original role as a "Borg buster." Sure, the Dominion War allowed the Defiant to test out her tactical capabilities under real combat scenarios, but that was against Dominion forces.

But when it came time to really face the Borg, though, the Defiant did as well as she could but still wound up getting her butt kicked. That doesn't mean that the Defiant didn't do well against the Borg--she likely fared better than most, IMO, and was still salvageable in the end--but there's always room for improvement, especially for a design that was only three years old at the time of First Contact...heck, the ship was still basically an experimental prototype at that point.
The borg must have adapted to the Enterprise's powerful phasers from Q Who and Best of Both Worlds. Enterprise's ability to punch through that magnetic field is quite a trump card.

The Borg Cube is so 3040 meters. Defiant (alternate universe) took down a well armor 4,000 meter Negh'var....twice. Either the borg armor is thicker or tougher than the Negh'var.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dentsincubesv6.jpg (42.6 KB, 35 views)

Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Lieutenant Commander

cool
Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

and that was only 1% if the Cubes mass vaporized but it suffered 20 % damage.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

When did a Negh'var class attack cruiser become 4KM in length?

Last time I checked, it wasn't even Galaxy class sized. I think it was closer to Ambassador class size.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Negh'var from TNG is shorter than the Galaxy but the Negh'var commanded by the Regent in the Mirror Universe was 4,000 m while the Defiant was contructed from the plans of real Defiant.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

WOW! Is it actually mentioned in the episode? I just have a hard time imagining a Negh'var that is four times the size of an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

nah...that was my last estimate. The show never showed you but now that we know the actual length of the Defiant I'll put it in the computer and find out.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Okay...

I've just imputed my best picture into CAD.
As usual to do a propper scaling we need an object in the picture that has a known length. That would be Defiant.

We now know beyond a shadow of a doubt Defiant is 110 meters long
Defiant in this picture is the blue line.

The Negh'var is the red line and it was scaled to the visual image bellow the blueprint.

The result tells us the Red line (Negh'var) is 2208 meters long. Twice the length of a Star Destroyer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a3Negh'var.jpg (48.3 KB, 19 views)