The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > VFX work I do for fun....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default VFX work I do for fun....

Hi, folks,

I do this as a hobby for my own entertainment, and for the entertainment of those that like homemade visual FX.

I have a lot of starship miniatures, and like to do space battles with them. (I'm not very patient with 3D CGI programs just yet...LOL!)

To create these time consuming projects, I use Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Image Ready, and Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 or 12. I also use a mix of machinima (videogame footage, or elements made into a movie), and miniature photography with my Sony digital video camera.

The video I am about to link you to took me from about 30 hours (when you factor in much needed sleep). That includes shooting the footage, creating the appropriate templates, adding in the VFX like lasers and explosions, adding in the audio, and mixing it all down. I was amazed that I created a 2 minute mini-movie with these kinds of FX in just a matter of almost a couple of days.

I presented this in another thread, but I'm hoping to get a little more exposure for it here in this new thread, and I hope you enjoy it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7zG8-ZbB12c

Respectfully,
Martok2112

P.S. I am getting ready to start a new FX project.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Nice job! I especially liked the approach to the blockade runner from the POV of the TIE fighter. Good dynamics.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thumbs up

Thanks, FanWriter45. Yeah, that was a fun shot to make. I recorded some footage from the game Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter for PlayStation 2 onto my camera from my HDTV (the picture quality was incredible through that process). I was able to turn off the HUD in first person view, and that gave me a clear shot whenever I wanted to fly around a ship....so the approach on that blockade runner was too good to pass up. The TIE Fighter window was screencapped from the original Star Wars, and then all the elements were Photoshopped out so I could make a TIE Fighter cockpit template that I could superimpose over any shot I wanted. Much of what you see as far as ships go are done from templates that I meticulously Photoshopped so I could use them on any backdrop I wanted. The opening shot was a combination of machinima AND model photography/animation. The starfield, Coruscant, and blockade runner are from Jedi Starfighter, although the blockade runner was a seperately filmed element, and became a template. The Star Destroyer was a template machinima from Rebel Strike III for Nintendo GameCube, and fit in quite seamlessly. The TIE's were the physical miniatures. All the explosions in the video were screencapped and photomanipulated from the movie Firefox. The opening shot, and the TIE approach to the blockade runner were the only machinima ships in the video. Just about everything else was model photography. I especially loved the shot where the blockade runner blasts the two TIEs out of the sky, because I used stop motion photography to make the BR's sensor dish rotate. Thanks, again, FanWriter, for the kind words. Appreciatively, Martok2112
Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Does look good.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thank you, Mighty Zardoz.