The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > enterprise should come back
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who thinks enterprise should come back
yes 66 66.67%
no 20 20.20%
maybe 6 6.06%
they should make a film about it 18 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillzHere View Post
I don't believe 'they screwed up history', however when ENT was introduced to the Star Trek fan base there could have been some kind of lead-in... "As the show starts, Christopher Pike is recalling his briefing from the first captain of the first warp 5 ship with the name Enterprise, model NX-01. 'Captain Archer view points made me aware of the difficulties I would encounter, but never could foresee being stuck in this mechanical contraption! (his 'life support system', not the Enterprise)'"
That sounds like something better left to a fanfic than a professional written and produced series. That kind of thing might work for a cheesy film, or made-for-TV movie, but not a long-term television series.

Also, if any commander of the 1701 had a briefing with Archer, it would likely have been Robert April, not Chris Pike. Archer died a day after the commissioning ceremony for the 1701, so it's not likely he would've met Pike.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
Archer died a day after the commissioning ceremony for the 1701, so it's not likely he would've met Pike.
Where did you get this information from?

I think the tie-in was based on ST:First Contact and the little scene with Cochrane on the big screen. That was enough for me.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Where do you het this information from?

I think the tie-in was based on ST:First Contact and the little scene with
Cochrane on the big screen. That was enough for me.
When Archer's mirror counterpart called up his service record on the Defiant. HD versions of the broadcast allowed for it to be zoomed enough to read it.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
That sounds like something better left to a fanfic than a professional written and produced series. That kind of thing might work for a cheesy film, or made-for-TV movie, but not a long-term television series.

Also, if any commander of the 1701 had a briefing with Archer, it would likely have been Robert April, not Chris Pike. Archer died a day after the commissioning ceremony for the 1701, so it's not likely he would've met Pike.
But my point was outside of ENT, Archer didn't exist. I don't recall Robert April being in any of the TV shows or movies, either. I also don't recall Archer dying after 1701 was commissoined, so as far as what I've watched on TV or in the movie theater's, ENT had no real tie-in. Which is why some kind of tie-in at the start of the 1st ENT episode would have been awesome.

As you can tell I don't follow ST as deeply as others, my draw was to the technology. As in, 'finally, impulse power on Deep Space One', interest in technology.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
When Archer's mirror counterpart called up his service record on the Defiant. HD versions of the broadcast allowed for it to be zoomed enough to read it.
So...it said "one day after the commisioning of the 1701"? Or was it a stardate?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
But my point was outside of ENT, Archer didn't exist. I don't recall Robert April being in any of the TV shows or movies, either. I also don't recall Archer dying after 1701 was commissoined, so as far as what I've watched on TV or in the movie theater's, ENT had no real tie-in.
The fact it wasn't mentioned before means very little. We've got nearly 400 years of history prior to Nemesis (being the worst movie ever made, though, you may not want to count it), much of it as yet undescribed.

Robert April did appear in the animated series, though I don't think that's counted as part of canon. In any case, though, he is mentioned in the Star Trek: Encyclopedia, and on startrek.com.

Quote:
Which is why some kind of tie-in at the start of the 1st ENT episode would have been awesome.
If you recall, we got that tie-in at the end of the series (in a cliched manner not dissimilar to the Pike-flashback suggestion), and it was the antithesis of awesome. It was the worst episode of any Trek series; ever.

As someone else mentioned, James Cromwell's guest apperances as Zefram Cochrane was a subtle tie-in to previously established Trek continuity. Subtlety is usually preferable to the kind of poor-quality, blatant writing that revolves around cheesy flashbacks.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron : 05-21-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
The fact it wasn't mentioned before means very little. We've got nearly 400 years of history prior to Nemesis (being the worst movie ever made, though, you may not want to count it), much of it as yet undescribed.

Robert April did appear in the animated series, though I don't think that's counted as part of canon. In any case, though, he is mentioned in the Star Trek: Encyclodia, and on startrek.com.

If you recall, we got that tie-in at the end of the series (in a cliched manner not dissimilar to the Pike-flashback suggestion), and it was the antithesis of awesome. It was the worst episode of any Trek series; ever.

As someone else mentioned, James Cromwell's guest apperances as Zefram Cochrane was a subtle tie-in to previously established Trek continuity. Subtlety is usually preferable to the kind of poor-quality, blatant writing that revolves around cheesy flashbacks.
Yeah, I didn't like the last episode of Enterprise either.

I did like the subtle Cochrane tie-in
Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
So...it said "one day after the commisioning of the 1701"? Or was it a stardate?
That section of text didn't appear directly on-screen; the guy (Mike Sussman) who wrote up the biography for that particular graphic made it known, I suppose.

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...ographical.jpg
Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Midshipman

Thumbs up

Quote:

Well, the Captain pike flash-back was based on the fact that with his physical appearance having been damaged to the degree it was, make-up should be easy to replicate. If I understand what you are saying, you don't like the idea of a series based on a 'past' crew of Enterprise to start off in the future as someone's recollection; it being a weak foundation. If that is your point, I agree. I find it hard to believe that writers could not have come up with some way to start off ENT better; temporal cold war being just as bad as a flash-back.

The whole borg assimilation thing has been over done too, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Pike assimilated, possibly *willingly*, so that he can walk again and becoming an advocate for the borg, along the line of Locutus. Talk about the federation being caught off guard by that one!

I definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, hate how ENT ended. I remember when it was canceled, I think around the time the Reba show was canceled, and wrestling was put on. I thought what?!?!?! What the heck is Les Moonves thinking? (or his people) Anywho, I'm glad it is on SciFi and I'm looking forward to XI, with or without Shatner. Thanks for helping me out with some of the history of ENT.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Commander

See I thought the last episode of ENT in particular the last few minutes were the best FINALLY they were attempting to tie in to the larger trek universe without any timetravel gobbeldygook instead of largely ignoring it and what it had established.

-Free Enterprise