The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > where ya from?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
In Northern Canada, born and raised,
Shoveling snowfall is how I spent most of my days.
Freezing my butt off in all of that cold,
This Canadian stuff is gettin' real old...!

(*Grin*)
Fresh Prince of Iceville?
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Captain

New York City born, bred, and still living (East Side of Manhattan to be precise).
Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Commander

I am from Los Angeles California, but curently living in the Inland Empire ( second hell on eirth after Chino) It is so hot out here
Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Ensign

Urgh...Trekie I feel your pain. I know first hand how hot the I.E. gets! Summer in Riverside starts in March and runs till Thanksgiving! One of the only places I know where you can trick-or-treat in a bikini...and not need an overcoat! Go to the Tyler Mall & stroll in the AC with your baby. Stay cool.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
I am from Los Angeles California, but curently living in the Inland Empire ( second hell on eirth after Chino) It is so hot out here
Forgive me for asking, (and, please believe, I am not trying to be insulting...), but is English your 'second language'? (i.e.; were you raised in a household/locale where another language, other than English, was predominant?)

The reason I ask is, as a writer, I am somewhat more sensitive to the general literacy of people I talk to / interact with; your own particular grammatical and spelling 'fingerprint' is similar to (but not quite exactly the same as) many French-Canadians I converse with online...

Last edited by Gunny1 : 05-20-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Lieutenant

I grew up in Los Angles, and now live in Northern Utah. We moved here when I was in high school.

I will always root for USC. Fight ON!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Forgive me for asking, (and, please believe, I am not trying to be insulting...), but is English your 'second language'? (i.e.; were you raised in a household/locale where another language, other than English, was predominant?)

The reason I ask is, as a writer, I am somewhat more sensitive to the general literacy of people I talk to / interact with; your own particular grammatical and spelling 'fingerprint' is similar to (but not quite exactly the same as) many French-Canadians I converse with online...
English is my first language, (but at home my parents spoke only spanish) I happen to be a bad typist and My spelling does suck, I will try to proof read it for you, ok
Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
English is my first language, (but at home my parents spoke only spanish) I happen to be a bad typist and My spelling does suck, I will try to proof read it for you, ok
Oh, not complaining! I was merely asking out of a professional interest, that is all...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Oh, not complaining! I was merely asking out of a professional interest, that is all...
Why as a professional intrest?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Why as a professional intrest?
I make my living as a multi-discipline freelancer; one of these disciplines is writing. As a writer, I take a great interest in how people speak; related, but not necessarily directly connected, how they tend to write, as well.

Just as an example, said example chosen because of your background, (as so far as you have told me...)

The originating 'S' sound simply does not occur in Spanish-speaking cultures. While fairly common under English-language grammatical rules, it JUST DOES NOT occur in (what we, in English, call) 'Spanish'.

(This is a digression, but a related one: English is TERRIBLE for 'renaming' even the defining words for things. English says 'Germany' for 'Deutschland', 'Spain' for 'España', etc.)

Hence, even the most proficient English-speaking people of Hispanic backgrounds tend to 'hiss' initial 'S' sounds. (i.e.; 'Yes, I speak fluent eSpanish...' Though it might be muted, the softened 'S' is used rather than the Anglo hard 'S'...)

(Again, related - in 'German' - 'Deutsch' - the 'Double-U' sound does not occur. Though that letter appears, it is pronounced as English pronounces the letter 'v'. 'Wienerschnitzel' is pronounced "Vyner'zhnit'l".)

Both Spanish and French are 'Romance Languages' - a shared common origin in Latin. As I mentioned, I know many French-Canadians whose speech-rhythm is similar to yours; THAT is why I asked...