The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Know how much I hate FOX?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Know how much I hate FOX?

to the nth degree!

They're always having technical difficulties like pausing a show for half an hour and not correcting it. Just happened to House, MD just now. It paused for about 3 minutes! Figures it happens to be the season finale!

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I mostly hate the way they preempt good shows in favour of useless sports; this happened nearly every week to Futurama, which was certainly one of the reasons it's ratings weren't as good as expected, leading to it being cancelled. Sports shouldn't even be aired on normal channels; 15 or 20 channels should be formed for the express purpose of airing all sports programming, leaving the rest of us free to watch real shows.

I also hate how FOX seems to cancel every exceptional show they get their hands on. Firefly, Futurama, Arrested Development, etc.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron : 05-19-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
I also hate how FOX seems to cancel every exceptional show they get their hands on. Firefly, Futurama, Arrested Development, etc.
They've fallen for one of the oldest mistakes in logic; the most well-known of which is, 'never get involved in a land war in Asia', but only slightly less well known is 'circular logic'.

(*Grin*)

The 'pre-season' analysis of a show, made by a chosen 'focus group' of what Fox THINKS is the most important demographic, suggests a 'mid-level' show. This is how they consider it when they air it. Thus, they are only expecting 'lukewarm' ratings and the matching demographics into which to advertise - that almighty advertising dollar being the real driving force, not quality programming, of course.

Thus, anything OTHER focus groups determine 'more likely' to increase ad revenue gets precedence... and since this interrupts the 'mid-level' shows on an annoyingly irregular basis, it's very hard for these shows to develop the sort of fan-base that would move them up into those prime demographics Fox so desperately wants. (The hard-corps fans who stay with it DESPITE this 'don't count'.)

The other term for this phenomenon is 'self fulfilling prophecy'; and it's a phrase all to apt....

Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM

I never watch FOX entertainment, only their news channel, and i like it very much. Exceptional coverage during most of the day, with the exception of that ridiculous "Red Eye" segment late at night. A news channel is for news, i don't want to turn on the news channel and have to listen to an hour of smarmy, facetious, sarcastic crap.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I always got the impression FOX news was universally mocked and bashed for being biased, far too right-wing, and prone to sensationalist reporting. All three qualities are highly repugnant to me, so I've always avoided it.

I mostly get my news from the BBC news channel we get here, CBC, or the internet.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron : 05-19-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
I always got the impression FOX news was universally mocked and bashed for being biased, far too right-wing, and prone to sensationalist reporting.

I mostly get my news from the BBC news channel we get here, CBC, or the internet.
Yes, you would be under that impression because all other news networks are biased toward the left-wing and want you to believe that extremely bad.
Actually Fox really is exactly what they say, fair and balanced. I wish there was a right-wing news station to balance things out, but if you don't agree 100% with everything the left-wing media like ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN tell you, all of a sudden you're right-wing biased and shunned. I am really tired of the obvious, blatant one sidedness of the news media. News shouldn't be political at all, it should just be the news, straightforward and presented to you with no bias so you can make up your own mind about it, but it isn't, not by a long shot. Fox is the only place i can get a clue about what's actually happening in the world without a side dose of politics to go along with it. The left-wing biased media cannot stand that Fox won't play ball with them and so they put them down and blame game them and tell us they're so far right wing theyr'e falling off of the right wing-tip of the airplane, when actually Fox is in the center of the fuselage and the other networks are clinging to the left engine prop hoping for a soft landing. Well they're not going to get it from me brother!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Actually Fox really is exactly what they say, fair and balanced. I wish there was a right-wing news station to balance things out, but if you don't agree 100% with everything the left-wing media like ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN tell you, all of a sudden you're right-wing biased and shunned.
To be honest, I've rarely ever watched any American news at all; so you might be right, I dunno. I can't stand CNN from the little I've seen, and so much of American news seems to focus on the local that I'm bored after a minute or two. I wouldn't recommend Canadian news to you if you don't like left-wing, though. Compared to you guys, everyone is left-wing up here, lol. Except that mereged Alliance/not so Progressive (anymore) Conversative Party... sadly, we're finally getting a taste of real right-wing politics with these guys.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron : 05-19-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

TM2,

I'm right with you! I think I get most of my information from BBC America, and The Daily Show (fake satirical news) Seems to work out fairly well for me. I seem to be far better informed that the people who do watch FOX, or listen to right wing radio.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPQ View Post
to the nth degree!

They're always having technical difficulties like pausing a show for half an hour and not correcting it. Just happened to House, MD just now. It paused for about 3 minutes! Figures it happens to be the season finale!
Well I saw House after Bones ok, no difficulties her, I am on the west coast tho
Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Reason 3,001 to have Tivo! i never miss Bones Nor House.

Last edited by Zardoz : 05-20-2008 at 09:53 AM.