The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > child gets crushed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiemom View Post
Watch out for pennies...all loose change really. My kid was always sticking coins in his mouth. I have no coins anywhere near him any more.
Well already trained on that, I have dogs, I make sure no coins or other stuff that can be harmful are on floor or in reach. I have some smart dogs. I got the whole story from hubby when he got home. He said that his co-worker friend, lost his child do to it. Jis granpa was babysitting, the kid was acting up so he sent him to his room, Grandpa heard him playing and being himself like always, when he heard no more noise about 10 min later he found the child dead. that made me one to cry. That poor family
Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

My dad always tells the story about my little brother and the window blinds. My brother, Patrick, was two years old at the time, and was very loud and hyper. Well, my dad had secured the blinds so that he couldn't possibly reach them (even I at 4 years old couldn't reach it.). But one afternoon, when my mom and I were out, my dad noticed that the room had gone quiet, and realized that quiet = Patrick into something. Well, he comes into our room to find Patrick has pushed the toy box up to the window, climbed on top of it, has got the pull string draped around his neck, and is standing on the edge of the toy box, ready to accidentally hang himself. Naturally, my dad freaks out. But luckily, he managed to get there in time, or I'd have grown up an only child.

Funny you mentioned swallowing pennies, I'm a living example that you CAN survive swallowing pennies (although I was an older toddler when it happened --probably 3 or 4 years old). My mom kept the one I swallowed as a souvenir, and we still have it packed away to this day. Funny, that was the same year I got into Star Trek.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Captain

Its all that stories that make me wonder how we actually survived our childhood. But I know the nervosity when a cuddler is alone on the balkony. Can drive me nuts. Or when they are just standing on a bench in a train and looking out of the Window, running around and I allways see the train stop and this cuddler fall down off the bench and on its head. Yes, this kind of nervosity can be a real torture. Just watch little kids on playgrounds.

Reminds me, there was a campain here in Germany against cords on children clothes. You know, this cords for closing the hood that is attached to the jacket. There where quite some accidents involving that cord and a slide or monkey bars.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Admiral

My sister once built a staircase by pulling drawers out, climbed up onto Grandma's counter, pulled herself up using shelves and got on top of the fridge where the knives had been put "for safe keeping"...(and yes, when the kid did that in Roger Rabbit, I about peed my pants).

It's hard to find that right balance between "over protecting" and "ignoring danger". It's really different for every child, too. While my sister was an adventurer (as noted) my Mom swore she could put me down in a room full of broken glass and I'd have been perfectly safe because I just wasn't interested in exploring.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Ensign

"How we survived our childhood"...Remember riding in the open bed of a pick-up truck as a kid? Jumping off the top of the monkey bars? Sitting on a skateboard and flying down the steepest hill in town? Cardboard box sleds on the stairs? Yikes! How did we make it? How did our mother's survive? I appreciate and sympathize with every grey hair my mom has!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiemom View Post
"How we survived our childhood"...Remember riding in the open bed of a pick-up truck as a kid? Jumping off the top of the monkey bars? Sitting on a skateboard and flying down the steepest hill in town? Cardboard box sleds on the stairs? Yikes! How did we make it? How did our mother's survive? I appreciate and sympathize with every grey hair my mom has!
Riding in your parent's lap, being in a room full of smokers, being given a tatse of booze, pusing your freinds down steep hils on shopping carts...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Ensign

Ahh, the "good old days"! You could run all over the neighborhood and come home for dinner when the sun went down.