The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > child gets crushed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Commander

Default child gets crushed

Hubby calls me up today, from work and tells me that a 3 year old was climbing his dresser, then it fell on him and crushed him. Kid was really hurt. I have heard this before, But I had awited to childproof the home. I satrted to earthquake proof it, My baby will be crawling and walking soomer than I think. It freaked me out a bit. I hope the kid will be alright. I will ask him when he gets home
Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

That's terrible...!

I've been watching CNN today, and they've been showing video of the efforts to clean up after the earthquake in China. (estimated 37,000 dead, millions homeless) I had to turn it off when they started to unearth the body of a young girl, recently married...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Admiral

I hope the kid is okay.

You should definitely get the place secured before the baby starts crawling. Not only should all furniture be attached to the wall, but anything heavy on the furniture (TV's, lamps, statues) should be attached to the wall. Light or moderate weight items can probably be secured with museum wax.

Not only should dressers be secured to the wall, but the drawers should be secured in a closed position.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Vice Admiral

My big fear was cords. We no longer have long strings on our drapes or venetian blinds, just little stubs up at the top.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Admiral

That's definitely something to worry about. Kids hang themselves all the time. Most drapery places offer free "safety clips" that let you wind the cord up so it's out of reach.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Don't forget to get plugs for the electrical outlets, more kids died when i was a kid by sticking their fingers in electric outlets and swallowing balloons than i care to think about. Oh and if you have electric fans, you might want to watch those as well, my brothers best friend lost three fingers in one of those. Of course it was the old heavy duty steel fan with steel blades that probably would have served as a propeller for a small airplane, but still. Bear in mind i'm talking about 1964 to 1976 here, but some of those child endangering products are still with us, even now.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Ensign

Watch out for pennies...all loose change really. My kid was always sticking coins in his mouth. I have no coins anywhere near him any more.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Vice Admiral

And who knew a kid could drown in a freaking bucket?

The hubby used to laugh at me when I'd sneak into The Boy's room at night and poke him to make sure he was still alive. There's something about being a Mom that makes you kind of tweaky.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Just a comment...those warnings on the buckets stem from an actual incident in which a child died...the parents turned their grief into an information campaign and took it so far that it's now required that all such buckets bear the warning...

Checking to see that they're alive (haven't suffocated on a stuffed animal or managed to sitck a head through the bars of the crib) is pretty normal jehanner...as is just watching them sleep...

Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Yeah, my mom said she used to jiggle our cribs until we woke up, just to make sure we would. It was such a nice feeling to relax a little when he was around 3.5!