The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Let's talk fanfiction.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Let's talk fanfiction.

Do you read it? Write it? Aren't interested? If you've got a favorite story, go ahead and post it! And that goes double if you've got a story you wrote and just wanna show off.

Lets talk about the different genres, gen vs. pairings, whatever. I just want to discuss fic a bit, especially as Star Trek is such a fic-suited fandom. (And I'd love to hear some replies from people who remember when fanfic was done with a physical medium: the fanzines, etc. Most of that was a little before my time, and it'd be neat to hear more about it.)
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Admiral

ummm.....as this board is owned by the people who hold the copyright on Star Trek, I am wary of this topic. I've not hidden the fact that I read lots of fan fic and have even written a bit (a couple of posters here have read them). But, I think it's an iffy subject for this board.

I guess I'd feel better if one of the admins gave us a thumbs up on the topic.

I'll also say upfront that if we're given the go ahead to discuss it, then we need to only reference stories that are rated G, PG or PG-13. This board allows 13 year olds to register and we will need to respect that.

I have an armload of sites I could suggest and stories to discuss, but unless we're given the okay by an admin, I'll confine that to PMs.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
ummm.....as this board is owned by the people who hold the copyright on Star Trek, I am wary of this topic. I've not hidden the fact that I read lots of fan fic and have even written a bit (a couple of posters here have read them). But, I think it's an iffy subject for this board.

I guess I'd feel better if one of the admins gave us a thumbs up on the topic.

I'll also say upfront that if we're given the go ahead to discuss it, then we need to only reference stories that are rated G, PG or PG-13. This board allows 13 year olds to register and we will need to respect that.

I have an armload of sites I could suggest and stories to discuss, but unless we're given the okay by an admin, I'll confine that to PMs.
I am going to side with Eliza on this one! I know nothing....lol...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Admiral

I say talk about if they dont like the thread they'll just delete it. I however havn't read much fanfiction. I think I might have read something a long time ago but dont even remember it.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Lieutenant

First rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club.

But my avatar should tell you how much I love fanfic.

Whoops wrong av.

Yes I love it. J/C mostly. P/T and R/T sometimes.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Commander

Well... I'll go out on a limb here and say yup. I do like quality fanfiction.

Some people do openly say they don't want fanfics on the stuff they write.

If there were major copyright problems, then the producers of Star Trek would have said the same thing by now, surely. (I mean there's that much of it out there and people so open about writing it and stuff.)

However I do agree with Elizadolots on one thing. I never posted any link to my own stuff here specifically because this is an official Star Trek board.

Although, mind you, it's also true that if there was a problem, admin can always lock, move, delete this thread...

Going out on another limb... *shrugz* I do write some fanfiction. And posted it. Somewhere. hehe. But not under this same username. There is a link on my Trekspace page... that's about it, really.

...Not that it matters in any sense of the word.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I plead the fifth.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

My favorites are the ones with "Fanny Sue" the fan who saves all the hunky characters and nurses them back to health...

And the ones where Kirk and Spock are stranded on the alien planet and Spock ends up going into Pon Farr and Kirk has to "comfort him" or his friend will die....

So far, I think I've read about 3,476 versions of these same stories. Each and every writer of them thinks that it's new and original.

However, I DO enjoy the "Strange New Worlds" anthologies. (At least they are officially lisenced.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampris View Post
Do you read it? Write it? Aren't interested? If you've got a favorite story, go ahead and post it! And that goes double if you've got a story you wrote and just wanna show off.

Lets talk about the different genres, gen vs. pairings, whatever. I just want to discuss fic a bit, especially as Star Trek is such a fic-suited fandom. (And I'd love to hear some replies from people who remember when fanfic was done with a physical medium: the fanzines, etc. Most of that was a little before my time, and it'd be neat to hear more about it.)
I am quite capable of such activity, i've done it for other media than Star Trek and been given positive reviews on my work. But not here. Unless the powers that be start a fan fiction forum, i don't believe i'd go there.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Midshipman

I love everything about P/C.