The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Need Your Prayers!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Admiral

I'm so glad your friend kept his wits about him...though, in my experience, most parents do when horrible things happen and then dissolve into jello when the professionals arrive. Stay with him and make sure he has other support...

I'm not kidding when I say he's going to have issues. I know one girl who was hit by a car crossing the street from school...the driver ran a light, the girl was not at fault nor seriously injured but did have a few months of recovery from a dislocated pelvis...her grandmother now drives her to school and picks her up from school every day...this wouldn't seem odd except the child lives exactly across the street from the school...her front door is 15 feet from the school crossing light. But grandma now drives her.

Grandma wasn't even there! For a parent who was there....wow...I can't imagine the guilt he's feeling (for no good reason, it's just how it is) and how protective he stands a chance of becoming....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Commander

I hope, everything goes well, sending hugs and prayers
Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 PM

I live on an acreage right in the middle of woods full of wild animals. I know how dangerous they can be and how close they really do come to human dwellings. I don't fool around when it comes to my family's lives. I can't imagine what that poor father must be going through. You have my sympathy and my prayers. God help that poor child.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I need everyone to know about something that happened yesterday evening. I would appreciate your prayers.

Yesterday my verly close friend was walking along a mountain trail in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His son was attacked by a large wild cat. This cat was either a mountain lion or couger (I am not sure if there is a difference). His son was carried away by the animal by his head. My friend intervened and was able to get the cat off his son and to scare it away. According to my friend the cat was the size of a large Rotweiller dog. My friend's son underwent surgery all night last night and is the ICU. His prognosis is good, but he is hurt bad.

Here is a short story from a local news channel. My friend and his family have NOT spoken to the news organizations yet so the news story is somewhat incomplete.

http://www.koat.com/news/16322009/detail.html

I know I have argued over gun rights in the U.S. (see "Guns" thread) Part of my reasoning was due to home invasions and for protection from wild animals, as I love to camp. I never imagined such a rare attack would involve someone so close to my heart.
Hope they both make a full recovery!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Vice Admiral

here is an update: My friend's son is doing very good. I spent the entire day today at the hospital with my friend, his wife and children, and other family members of theirs. I was a little afraid to see my friend's son because I did not know what I would see. I was relieved when I saw my friend's son sitting at a table making paintings! He was walking and talking. He was tired and in pain, but wanted to play. He underwent another surgery today in order to clean underneath his scalp. I am very confident he will be ok soon. My friend is also doing well. We talked at length about the situation. I told my friend that I was proud of him and how well he maintained control and helped save his son's life by applying first aid and bandanges (made from his shirt). I feel much better today. I was a worried mess yesterday.

Thank you, everyone for your good thoughts.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM

AWESOME MrQ1701! I'm very glad and relieved to hear such a positive report!