The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Need Your Prayers!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Vice Admiral

Default Need Your Prayers!!

I need everyone to know about something that happened yesterday evening. I would appreciate your prayers.

Yesterday my verly close friend was walking along a mountain trail in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His son was attacked by a large wild cat. This cat was either a mountain lion or couger (I am not sure if there is a difference). His son was carried away by the animal by his head. My friend intervened and was able to get the cat off his son and to scare it away. According to my friend the cat was the size of a large Rotweiller dog. My friend's son underwent surgery all night last night and is the ICU. His prognosis is good, but he is hurt bad.

Here is a short story from a local news channel. My friend and his family have NOT spoken to the news organizations yet so the news story is somewhat incomplete.

http://www.koat.com/news/16322009/detail.html

I know I have argued over gun rights in the U.S. (see "Guns" thread) Part of my reasoning was due to home invasions and for protection from wild animals, as I love to camp. I never imagined such a rare attack would involve someone so close to my heart.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-18-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

May he recover with as much ease as is possible.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Prayers are incoming....

I hope everything turns out well for the victim of this savage attack. My prayers to him, his family and you during this time of worry.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Poor little buddy! Only 5 years old... I hope he bounces back as quickly as possible!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sadly such attacks are becoming more common as living spaces between species overlap. All the best for a quick recovery by the little guy!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Admiral

How terrifying! I'll be sending good thoughts.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

That's a horrible thing to happen at any age but especially so young, I hope for a speedy recovery.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I'm also worried about the parent that was there when it happened.....I suspect he is going to have a lot of issues regardless of how well his son comes through. I hope he gets some counselling or, at least, a shoulder to lean on because it's going to be very, very hard for him to ever let that kid more than an inch away from his grasp again....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'm also worried about the parent that was there when it happened.....I suspect he is going to have a lot of issues regardless of how well his son comes through. I hope he gets some counselling or, at least, a shoulder to lean on because it's going to be very, very hard for him to ever let that kid more than an inch away from his grasp again....
I spoke to him on the phone today. He seemed to be doing "well". I suspect he is still in shock. He took quite a tumble as he attempted to tackle the massive cat. He got cuts, scrapes and bruises. Thankfully, after the cat left, my friend remained calm and used his shirt to bandage his son's head. I got the entire story today straight from "the horse's mouth" and could NOT believe my friend was telling me this without breaking down.

I am going to the hospital tomorrow to spend the day with my friend. I doubt I will be able to see his son, but I will be there for the next few days if I have to. My friend and I go back 16 or 17 years. We still talk on a nearly daily basis. He is a Trekie as well.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Captain

It was a horrible thing to happen and I wish for a speedy and full recovery. We don't have wild animals prowling free in my part of the woods, but we are no strangers here to other types of violence that too often involves innocent children.