The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Mods!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
I posted what I stated because I have been bashed on these boards by those that fall under the Liberal title.. I could not state how Democrats or Liberals or any outside of the USA felt about the issue.. for that I apologize for my comment if you took offense.

Also First Admendment does not mean you can say or do what you want when you want.. First Admendment means that you can say what you want so long as it is not offensive, derrogatory, or threatening to anyone in a direct or indirect capacity.

Now discussing a topic, so long as it does not get personal, you have full freedom of speach.. however Images can be visually assaulting and are not covered under First Admendment. First Admendment will cover Pictures under the appropriate classification.

The image in question was not displayed within legal limits of it's classification, and as such is not protected under First Admendment.

For this reason, and because my wife and 11 year old view these forums, I am going after him.
Exactly. And I don't know why it is that when people do something on the internet that is unacceptable in print, video, or in person they try to hide behind the idea of freedom of expression. If it's not acceptable in one medium, it's not going to be accepted in any other medium.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The answer is simple. You're on a board with rules. Follow the rules and you won't have a problem. Break the rules by posting pics of your scrotum will get you a size 10 doc marten up your arse.

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
For this reason, and because my wife and 11 year old view these forums, I am going after him.
I'll back you 110%

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The 1st Amendment BARS the government (or, more accurately, Congress) from, (among other things), preventive censorship.

It in no way whatsoever relieves individuals of the CONSEQUENCES of what they may say - only that the government may not prevent you from saying it in the first place.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Commander

Chances are it's some frat boy out there who's procrastinating on studying for his finals. Probably as intelligent as the one from San Diego State who was wondering, "Will this affect my chances of working in Federal law enforcement?"

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I just don't want Paramount to over-react and pull the plug on this site. If we can appropriatedly add the number of Mods and can be assured they will be "balanced" with their roles.

Mods should be largely invisible and be used in moderation whenever something like what happened this afternoon occurs.

G7
Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

'mod-uh-ray-shun...?'

That there's one of them archaic words that's fallen out of every-day usage, ain't it? You know - like 'honor', 'respect', 'consequences', 'selflessness'....

(*Grin*)

Old 05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
'mod-uh-ray-shun...?'

That there's one of them archaic words that's fallen out of every-day usage, ain't it? You know - like 'honor', 'respect', 'consequences', 'selflessness'....

(*Grin*)
I know you were speaking English because I understood "That there's one of them archaic words that's fallen out of every-day usage, ain't it? You know - like". After that, you lost me.

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:

We may have disagreements on political issues, but this is something I ENTIRELY agree with you on! This guy is a jerk that needs to be caught. I logged on today all emotional myself over learning about my friend's son, and I wanted to browse, and you know the rest! This site actually relaxes me (when we aren't debating) and for someone to be that juvenile disgusts me.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Sheesh, I take a day off to do some surgery on the pine trees, and I miss all this? Did someone have it in their sig? What a twit. Sic 'em!
And I thought we'd moved a little beyond the petulant "librul" name-calling, n'est pas?

---edited----

Oh dear! I see the pictures are still up! It's 8PM on the east coast; shouldn't they be down by now? Good thing my son is watching "Elementary, Dear Data" in the other room...

Last edited by jerhanner : 05-18-2008 at 04:19 PM.