The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > My Theory about Continuity Changes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
...and a super-saturated soultion crystalizes, which explains the crystaline entity!

(*Grin*)

Seriously, though - as I've mentioned, 'time travel', and it's related off-shoot 'parallel dimensions', has always been an 'easy out' for Trek, and do tend to 'clutter up' the supposed history.

As far as I know, however, nobody has ever bothered to do a comprehensive sorelation between the two - that is, for example, 'THIS was the case BEFORE 'Edge of Forever', and THIS was the case after...except AFTER...' sort of thing. It might be interesting - but, I would suspect, in this case, 'exhaustive' would be a literal term, rather than a literary one. (*Wry Grin*)

Zardoz - 'gray area' is, itself, a gray area when it comes to ENT. Personally, I actually stopped watching it after the first season. The fact that they never specifically NAMED certain things, thus 'technically' preserving established convention, is, to me, 'cheating'. So much so that, I - a WRITER - am nearly tempted to employ that most-hated of all phrases, 'mere semantics'.

ALMOST...
Ginny, usually I agree with you, this time am going to have to disagree.

I mean you can say that about all 5 series. Keeping things vauge, but linking them, togeter is Trek staple.

I don't think, for an example, we can state the diffrences between a TOS Phaser and a TNG Phaser, say, but we know they are the same thing, and one obviously looks more advanced....

I think a "Phase Pistol" is as much related to a Phaser of TOS, as a musket is to machine gun. Yes, they are both projectile weapons. But the simularity stops there.

ENT had the hassle of trying to link FC and TOS, trying ot keep things new and exciting for non fans, and trying to appeal to fans, without recreating the 60's. While it didn;t allways make those goals, it never stopped trying.

No one wants to look at TOS in the same light, plot and chataer inconsistancies, technology descrpancies, reusing the same script on at least 2 occasions (Day of The Dove, and Whom Gods Destroy is pretty much the SAME story.)

TOS was a ratings DOG in it's own time, it only became popular after syndication in the 70's.

ENT has become the new TOS in alot of ways, the more people discover it, the more fans it gets.

Is it perfect, heck no, but it's alot better than people want to give it credit for.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Gunny1's Avatar
Gunny1 Gunny1 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Ginny, usually I agree with you, this time am going to have to disagree...
Oh, I can't argue with you about discrepancies within each 'Trek' franchise itself.

(Well, I COULD... *Grin*)

I'm not even referring to the overall quality, one way or the other, about 'Enterprise'.

I was just giving you my perspective as a writer: they were 'cheating'.

Name the ship something - anything - else. Don't have a Vulcan on-board. Do these things, (for example) and you follow a sometimes-inconsistent but generally-accepted chronology within the fictional universe. It wouldn't be hard - I know I could have written an engaging storyline without having to resort to such things. Why did they do it? For the touch-stone to 'later' Trek? There were SO MANY possible approaches a 'prequel' could have taken - it's just my opinion that they copped out by taking so many already-familiar aspects of Trek and retrofitting them, (unnecessarily), rather than tackle it as a fresh challenge.
__________________
XI COUNTDOWN CLOCK:

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
Oh, I can't argue with you about discrepancies within each 'Trek' franchise itself.

(Well, I COULD... *Grin*)

I'm not even referring to the overall quality, one way or the other, about 'Enterprise'.

I was just giving you my perspective as a writer: they were 'cheating'.

Name the ship something - anything - else. Don't have a Vulcan on-board. Do these things, (for example) and you follow a sometimes-inconsistent but generally-accepted chronology within the fictional universe. It wouldn't be hard - I know I could have written an engaging storyline without having to resort to such things. Why did they do it? For the touch-stone to 'later' Trek? There were SO MANY possible approaches a 'prequel' could have taken - it's just my opinion that they copped out by taking so many already-familiar aspects of Trek and retrofitting them, (unnecessarily), rather than tackle it as a fresh challenge.
I won't disagree with that, but overall, I felt it was a good series. But they wanted to "sell' the product, you know studio mentality. I am sure that might have been pressure from Paramount, more than crative "Cheating."
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 AM
Gunny1's Avatar
Gunny1 Gunny1 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I won't disagree with that, but overall, I felt it was a good series. But they wanted to "sell' the product, you know studio mentality. I am sure that might have been pressure from Paramount, more than crative "Cheating."

...okay, I'll grant you that. Goodness knows, 'real world' does that to ME often enough.

(I like to tell myself: the first draft is for ME; the second draft is for THE PAYCHECK...)
__________________
XI COUNTDOWN CLOCK:

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
...okay, I'll grant you that. Goodness knows, 'real world' does that to ME often enough.

(I like to tell myself: the first draft is for ME; the second draft is for THE PAYCHECK...)
As I am sure it is on every Trek show we've ever seen.

Can see studio pressure...

Studio: "Well, where's all the phasers, tricorders, and stuff like that we can licence for toys?"

Trek Guy: "Well in this show, they haven't been invented yet."

Studio: "So people will not see these things? That will not do! Fix it, we need somethign to sell. People need the recognition factor!"

Trek Guy: "But boss, we have all these new ideas for their tools..."

Studio: "You still want to be working here next week?"
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.