The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > What happened to Geordi in Nemesis?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Question What happened to Geordi in Nemesis?

Everytime I watch Nemesis I can't help but feel like Geordi's character was utilized all wrong. He spent most of his time on the bridge during an obvious crisis and the scene that really got me was when picard beams over to the Scimitar and the transporter shorts out. Geordi just throws up his hands and says "That's it, transporters are offline." Ummm... Geordi? why don't you get up off your butt and go try and repair them? Scotty would be hard at work trying to fix them. Anyway that scene always bugged me because it made him look useless and lazy.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Admiral

And, when Data died, all he did was turn away.... I agree, they didn't do that character justice. Think about how emotional and touching Data's reaction was when he learned his weakness had caused Geordi harm (in Generations)....then contrast that with Geordi's reaction to Data's death....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Great points. I always thought it was a bit silly to have the head engineer at a station on the bridge. During normal operations it is understandable, but NOT in combat. I remember a scene from somewhere (someone please fill this in if you can!), I do not remember which series, but the engineer is on the bridge and a battle starts and the engineer bolts for the turbolift and says "I'll be in engineering!". Now that made sense. I just wish I could be more specific with the who,what, and when of that scene!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
And, when Data died, all he did was turn away.... I agree, they didn't do that character justice. Think about how emotional and touching Data's reaction was when he learned his weakness had caused Geordi harm (in Generations)....then contrast that with Geordi's reaction to Data's death....
Certainly not the reaction you would expect of someone who just lost their best friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Great points. I always thought it was a bit silly to have the head engineer at a station on the bridge. During normal operations it is understandable, but NOT in combat. I remember a scene from somewhere (someone please fill this in if you can!), I do not remember which series, but the engineer is on the bridge and a battle starts and the engineer bolts for the turbolift and says "I'll be in engineering!". Now that made sense. I just wish I could be more specific with the who,what, and when of that scene!
Actually that was none other than Geordi LaForge himself! It was in Insurrection at the beginning of the space battle with the Son'a. Now that movie did use his character properly.

Last edited by Ferrous : 05-14-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added a response to another post.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Maybe Levar didn't want to do the movie, but had a contratual obligation. I get the imprssion watching a normall excelent actor, being medicore on purpose.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Ensign

well, i normally defend Nemesis....but the points you make here do make sense.

And the problem here is likely to be the director's problem. Those are probably not acting choices made by Levar. Maybe the reaction to Data's death was and acting choice...for better or worse. But having Geordi on the bridge for most of the film is a directing choice. There's a very good chance Levar tried to explain that to the director..."hey, you know...maybe we should shoot this scene with me in engineering."

but ultimately it's the director's call.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead meat thompson View Post
well, i normally defend Nemesis....but the points you make here do make sense.

And the problem here is likely to be the director's problem. Those are probably not acting choices made by Levar. Maybe the reaction to Data's death was and acting choice...for better or worse. But having Geordi on the bridge for most of the film is a directing choice. There's a very good chance Levar tried to explain that to the director..."hey, you know...maybe we should shoot this scene with me in engineering."

but ultimately it's the director's call.
True dead meat, but it was amazing how underutilized the charater, and actor were in this film.

Levar is an amazing actor, been a fan of his since Roots 30+ years ago.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Captain

All the characters were not in character that movie.

Troi gets mind raped and picard tells her to suck it up a few more times so they can get more info on the bad guys.

I guess Riker not getting miffed enough to take out shinzon himself was kind of what i would expect but the other characters were way off.

Even for dramatic tension Geordie should have been desperately trying to get the transporter working and almost do it before htey blow again.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post

Troi gets mind raped and picard tells her to suck it up a few more times so they can get more info on the bad guys.

I guess Riker not getting miffed enough to take out shinzon himself was kind of what i would expect but the other characters were way off.
I remember watching the fight scene between Riker and Shinzon's aide and thinking Yah! Riker is gonna kick him off the ladder just like Kirk himself would... But no.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post

Even for dramatic tension Geordie should have been desperately trying to get the transporter working and almost do it before htey blow again.
I can agree with all that!