The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Immigration Law and Illegal Immigration.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Immigration Law and Illegal Immigration.

I live in Northern New Mexico. I consider myself Hispanic. Around here in recent years there has been a massive influx of Mexican immigrants. The issue of Illegal Immigration and current law is a contraversial one, and it is very much so around here.

In the area I live we have one of the worst drug problems in the country. We have the highest per capita drug overdose rates of the United States. This stems from the use of Heroin that comes from Mexico.(One reason I do not see the home invasion scenario to be far fetched..see "Guns" thread) So many locals see Mexicans as the drug runners and dealers. Others see them as hard working honest people wanting a better future for their children.

i would like to start a discussion regarding this very important issue. I will chastize you if you use derogatory racial language!! Just ask Zardoz. I am interested to know how this subject is effecting your area and your life. Do you believe our current laws and border structure are sufficient or that we need better enforcment and new laws? Please..discuss.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Well, I live in San Diego which has the biggest border crossing and probably one of the highest percentages of hispanic citizens in the nation....I think there are some things seriously wrong with our imigration laws. I also think demonizing those who come to this country to work is a convenient "scare tactic" to distract people from the real social and financial problems this country faces.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Federation Councillor

For the record I never called you anything racially bad!!! LOL!!

I know this is touchy with alot of people.

It easy to say "it's all their fault", "they are taking jobs away from Americans", "the are the cause for gang violence", and the like.

But what we as Americans tend to forget is all of US came from somewhere else orginally!!

As far as Americans employing illegal workers, why aren't these compnaies being punished for using "illegal" labor? You never hear that.

Most of these people are escaping to make a beter life for themselves and their families they can never have there. They have EVERY motivation in the world for staying under the radar. If they try to apply for citizen status, they get treated badly.

Illegal staus women in some areas of the country are raped with horrifying fequency, becuase rapists know they won't report it. The Latain sex slave market is only second to Russian, for just this reason. Slaves!! In our own country!!!

Are there some with illegal status playing the system? Yes! But let's not let a few bad examples taint an entire people.

Are there Latinos in gangs? Yes! But there also Russian gangs, Asian gangs, you name the ethnicty, they have a gang, escpeically white. Gang behavior starts because there is no education, no beloning. Even negative attention is still better than no attention.

We should have good guidelines for staying to work towards citizenship, rewarding people who make goals, and better themselves.

I feel if we say, "Ok as long as you apply for citizenship, and do what your supposed to abiding by the laws, and trying to make an honest living, we'll assists you like any other citizen."

Let's try to be what we claim we are, a nobel and caring society.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Commander

living in souther california I face the same thing. Having people assume that illegal imigrates are causing problems and taking our jobs. I would like to see those that say that they are taking there jobs, do those jobs. Comming from an imigrant family I have see the job done. As for the laws we have they need to be improved, and let illegal that have been in the country for some years become leagal, (would elimenate ythe issue that they don't pay taxes) The whole thing about not letting the children of immigrates getting medical attention is nonsence and inhumane
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Sorry Zardoz. I meant you know my temper! NOT that you use offensive language!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Sorry Zardoz. I meant you know my temper! NOT that you use offensive language!
I was just messing with you...
Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Commander

I think a huge portion of the mess (but certainly not all of it) is the result of extremely poor implementation of immigration policies to begin with. The INS was a joke to begin with. They can't even get routine work done properly. My father was born here and went to Taiwan to marry my mom. When it came to bringing my mom here and obtain her citizenship, INS kept "losing" her paperwork until a few months later, my dad wrote his congressman. After that they magically found the paperwork.

Had a classmate from either Brazil or Argentina that came here under a student visa. She's been living her with her child while attending college. She can't get any of the child services from Immigration, but she knows a of number of people here illegally that have been getting those services.

To me, part of the solution is going to have to involve cleaning house in INS.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
I think a huge portion of the mess (but certainly not all of it) is the result of extremely poor implementation of immigration policies to begin with. The INS was a joke to begin with. They can't even get routine work done properly. My father was born here and went to Taiwan to marry my mom. When it came to bringing my mom here and obtain her citizenship, INS kept "losing" her paperwork until a few months later, my dad wrote his congressman. After that they magically found the paperwork.

Had a classmate from either Brazil or Argentina that came here under a student visa. She's been living her with her child while attending college. She can't get any of the child services from Immigration, but she knows a of number of people here illegally that have been getting those services.

To me, part of the solution is going to have to involve cleaning house in INS.
Agreed!!

Another facet of this big issue.

Reorganization of INS sounds like a good starting point!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Commander

Yeah, it really does seem kind of silly to worry about changing policy when the body that implements that policy is dysfunctional begin with...Of course, that's Uncle Sam for ya.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Yeah, it really does seem kind of silly to worry about changing policy when the body that implements that policy is dysfunctional begin with.
Couldn't agree more. But once this is fixed, how do we address the other issues?