The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Don't forget how to tie your shoes.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Don't forget how to tie your shoes.

In this day of high technology and computer chips we tend to leave old things behind in favor of what is easier and more convenient. Like cameras; sure, you can get a perfect, digitized, pixel perfect image from a digital camera. But there's something a little too clean and perfect in that pixel picture. The old 35mm camera produced an image that was so much softer and gentler and warmer and more memorable. But few and far between are the places where you can get that film developed anymore. We have automated robot factories that build our cars for us, while laborers sit at home on welfare wondering how at 45 they're going to get re-educated to do some other kind of work. We have computers and e-mail and cell phones to communicate with, and yet, there's nothing so fullfilling as getting that specially composed just for you handwritten letter from someone who loves you. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying ditch all technology and go back to living like we did in the 1800's. I'm just saying that while progress marches on, and we discover new and more efficient ways of doing things, just don't forget the old way we did it. Don't let go of the simple and ordinary method that gets the job done, even though it might be a little more time consuming and be a good bit of hard work. Someday, i just know there will come a time, when some of those things might just come in handy.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Federation Councillor

But B-7, there are lots of groups out there that keep the old traditions alive.

They are easy to join, for anyone who is interested.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
In this day of high technology and computer chips we tend to leave old things behind in favor of what is easier and more convenient. Like cameras; sure, you can get a perfect, digitized, pixel perfect image from a digital camera. But there's something a little too clean and perfect in that pixel picture. The old 35mm camera produced an image that was so much softer and gentler and warmer and more memorable. But few and far between are the places where you can get that film developed anymore. We have automated robot factories that build our cars for us, while laborers sit at home on welfare wondering how at 45 they're going to get re-educated to do some other kind of work. We have computers and e-mail and cell phones to communicate with, and yet, there's nothing so fullfilling as getting that specially composed just for you handwritten letter from someone who loves you. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying ditch all technology and go back to living like we did in the 1800's. I'm just saying that while progress marches on, and we discover new and more efficient ways of doing things, just don't forget the old way we did it. Don't let go of the simple and ordinary method that gets the job done, even though it might be a little more time consuming and be a good bit of hard work. Someday, i just know there will come a time, when some of those things might just come in handy.
I know what u mean I have a canon. I love it, i take better pics with that than my sonly 8.1 mega pix
Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Would be bad to point the Irony of the thread? Its a thread about using less technology on a virtual message accessible only via computers.
Just found it funny. I do happen to agree I use pen a paper a lot for math just to keep my mind fresh.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I've always subscribed to Robert Heinlien's take on things: ("Are You A Survivor?" reprinted in the book "Expanded Universe") a human being should be able to survive if everything falls apart. Know how to hunt, to fish, to grow your own veggies. Keep a small larder of non-perishable food on hand, and know how to cook in your fireplace as well as you do on the stove.

If the earthquake that hit China had happened in your backyard, how well would you fare? It could be weeks before you even see anyone official, much less get the electricity back on. (Longer if "Brownie" or someone like him is in control of things.) Can you defend yourself against looters?

Being able to compose a poem, or design a website is nice... but I prefer the skills needed to eat, and build a comfortable shelter, if needed.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I've always subscribed to Robert Heinlien's take on things: ("Are You A Survivor?" reprinted in the book "Expanded Universe") a human being should be able to survive if everything falls apart. Know how to hunt, to fish, to grow your own veggies. Keep a small larder of non-perishable food on hand, and know how to cook in your fireplace as well as you do on the stove.

If the earthquake that hit China had happened in your backyard, how well would you fare? It could be weeks before you even see anyone official, much less get the electricity back on. (Longer if "Brownie" or someone like him is in control of things.) Can you defend yourself against looters?

Being able to compose a poem, or design a website is nice... but I prefer the skills needed to eat, and build a comfortable shelter, if needed.

I remember one time we lost electricity in our apartment in the morning. My wife realized she couldn't use her hair dryer or her hair iron and was wondering if she should call in sick!

No survivors here in Manhattan!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post

I remember one time we lost electricity in our apartment in the morning. My wife realized she couldn't use her hair dryer or her hair iron and was wondering if she should call in sick!

No survivors here in Manhattan!

Seriously though, while I agree that there was a better appreciation for things in a more manual age and there is nothing wrong with wanting to recapture some of those sentiments, at which technlogy is changing and shaping our world, one would be putting oneself at a disadvantage by not embracing such "conveniences" since the majority of the world is and expects the rest of us to do so.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Captain

oops, sorry for the double
Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Admiral

WE had a bad ICE Storm here and it was kinda of odd not having power. Im a geek I need electricity. But we're able to stay alive with out power. Fireplaces are nice for that. So keeping in touch some older styles of doing things is great to know.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Lieutenant

In the 24th Century do shoelaces even exist?

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)