The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Latino Crew Members
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
don't even get me started lol.

The over generalization, that everyone south of the boarder of the USA is Mexican drives me insane.
I have gone off on people. I recall in high school one of my friends said it and I set her staight. From then on I was said to be so toughy, but lets just say I am sure she now does not make that mistake again
You mean your friend refered to a Guatemalen(or brazilian, etc) as Mexican? That is common. I am even sometimes refered to as a Mexican although I am not. I think many people incorrectly use the word "Mexican" when refering to Latino/Hispanic. It has never bothered me very much, But I do tell people I am NOT mexican when they say that. Some of my friends are more touchy, but NOT because of the incorrect usage, but because around here many "Hispanic" U.S. citizen locals have some sort racist thing against Mexicans. The (illegal) immigration issue is BIG around here.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
You mean your friend reffered to a Guatemalen (or brazilian) as Mexican? That is common. I am even sometimes reffered to as a Mexican although I am not. I think many people incorrectly use the word "Mexican" to reffering to Latino/Hispanic. It has never bothered me very much, But I do tell people I am NOT mexican when they say that. Some of my friends are more touchy, but NOT because of the incorrect usage, but because around here many "Hispanic" U.S. citizen locals have some sort racist thing against Mexicans. The (illegal) immigration issue is BIG around here.
But it stems from the lack of education of most people, or when the word is used in a less than complimentary manner.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Vice Admiral

i see a new thread in my future!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Just pointing out that while TOS didn't have loads of hispanic characters, they did have some and referenced others. In The Man Trap Space Commander Jose Dominquez is waiting for the Enterprise to bring him a shipment of chili peppers. Commodor Jose Mendez is one of the officers participating in Spock's Court Martial in The Menagerie. Esteban Rodriguez was part of the landing party in Shore Leave.

You have to remember that 10-12 years prior to Star Trek, Lucille Ball had to fight the network to let Desi Arnez play her husband on her show.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Just pointing out that while TOS didn't have loads of hispanic characters, they did have some and referenced others. In The Man Trap Space Commander Jose Dominquez is waiting for the Enterprise to bring him a shipment of chili peppers. Commodor Jose Mendez is one of the officers participating in Spock's Court Martial in The Menagerie. Esteban Rodriguez was part of the landing party in Shore Leave.

You have to remember that 10-12 years prior to Star Trek, Lucille Ball had to fight the network to let Desi Arnez play her husband on her show.
Eliza saves the day!!!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Or should it be "Hoes R Us?"
That is funny. No Hoes please. I think when I get my current situation resolved I have enough going for me that I can score in a date or two, maybe three or four, but you get the idea! I could tell you stories of when I first got home from Iraq! We have such patriotic woman in this country
Old 05-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But it stems from the lack of education of most people, or when the word is used in a less than complimentary manner.
Very true. I have witnessed the latter first hand.

Eliza-good point. Times...they are a changin'
Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Er, wasn't B'Elanna half Latino? Torres is a Hispanic name, and I always thought that she was supposed to be a Latino/Klingon mix. (The Klingon side just got all the publicity. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaDolots
Esteban Rodriguez was part of the landing party in Shore Leave.
That guy was awesome.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I'm sure each and every latino character was carefully screened for possible "gayness" before being allowed on the show though. (Sorry, that was snarky...)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
That is funny. No Hoes please. I think when I get my current situation resolved I have enough going for me that I can score in a date or two, maybe three or four, but you get the idea! I could tell you stories of when I first got home from Iraq! We have such patriotic woman in this country
So Patriotism=Horney??? ROFL!!! (Kidding, of course)