The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > what kind of weird food does your culture eat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Commander

Default what kind of weird food does your culture eat

I am not saying you ate it but, what kind of weird stuff do you know is eatten.
The weirdist to me is Iguna, when I went to my parents country I saw them for sale at a market place. I asked mom, why are they tied up like that. My mom said they are for sale (as for food) eek, to me they are pets, it would be like eatting a dog

Last edited by trekie : 05-13-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 PM

I've eaten dog and monkey, squid, bison, squirrel (damn good!), deer, sheep, goat, alligator, ostrich, rabbit, and quail. Also all of the normal stuff like chicken, cow, fish, turkey and pig. With the exception of pig, which i will only eat again if i crash land on top of an Andean peak with a dead one and the only choice is that or cannibalism, all of them were fine tasting food. If God didn't mean for us to eat them, why did He make them delicious? I have pet dogs, i love my dogs, but one must keep ones self in perspective. One must survive. If i had to eat dog (or any of the others) again, i would, without a moment's hesitation. But i prefer a good old ordinary American diet. I think the most hideous and terrible thing i've ever eaten is fast food, especially fried fast food. It's just not good for you.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Captain

The Sephardic side of my family is known for not wasting any part of the animal. My grandmother always made dishes from brains (calf and sheep), kidney, sweetbreads (pancreas), and of course liver. When I lived in Israel, I ate at my cousin's homes where they sometimes served whole calf's brains. I felt like Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom. I thanked them but said that I had eaten brains for lunch that day. They also eat heart, which is actually pretty good- zero fat, just muscle.

I remember a time when some of my buddies went to a restaurant and ordered what turned out to be turkey testicles, served on a skewer! I guess they were hungry cause they gobbled them down!

Trekie, WTF? You've started 3 threads in the past half hr. Oh wait it's only 11:00 where you are. I guess I'm worse off, cause I'm replying at 2:00 AM here.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
The .
Trekie, WTF? You've started 3 threads in the past half hr. Oh wait it's only 11:00 where you are. I guess I'm worse off, cause I'm replying at 2:00 AM here.
My baby does not go to sleep till 1 am so I am up till then
Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Ensign

I will try just about anything once. I agree with Berengarius..."If God didn't mean for us to eat them, why did He make them delicious?" There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy! I've had horse, which was pretty rich, and beef tongue which was even better!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Commander

reminds me of hubby's taste of head cheese ( beef brains) in other words, part of his culture I think
Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Mosse and Bufffalo.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I was at a local festival, "Toad Suck Daze" here in central Arkansas... I'm beginning to think these people will eat anything if it is a) deep fried, and b) on a stick.

Deep fried twinkies on sticks.... Deep fried Snickers bars on sticks... deep fried pickes on sticks... feh! (Death by myocardial infarction is too good for them!)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I was at a local festival, "Toad Suck Daze" here in central Arkansas... I'm beginning to think these people will eat anything if it is a) deep fried, and b) on a stick.

Deep fried twinkies on sticks.... Deep fried Snickers bars on sticks... deep fried pickes on sticks... feh! (Death by myocardial infarction is too good for them!)
Don't forget the deep freid Oreos!! LOL!!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Commander

I'm Chinese.... people joke about our diets on tv all the time... There's a saying... Chinese eat anything that walks on legs...Japanese eat anything that swims in the sea. I'm a combo... I like to eat jelly fish, sea weed, bamboo shoots(I'd like to dine with the pandas if I could), lotus roots, Dragon Eyes(its a fruit most Americans don't know about but sold in Chinese markets), cooked squid, love raw salmon and tuna but I've cut back. I don't eat monkey brains or dogs or snakes or horses... I protest eating shark fin soup and bird nest soup...bad bad bad. I love animals too much and I can give up things to protect them from extinction. My mom likes to eat sea cucumber but I've held the live animal in my hand and its too strange a creature for me to eat. Over the years my diet is becoming more and more vegetarian... I really love the myriad of soy-meat substitutes the Chinese community offers... it makes it much much easier. They can make them look like, with the texture and close taste of fish, chicken, beef etc.

http://www.dianahuang.com