The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Captain America 2011
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Rear Admiral

Default Captain America 2011

I read on trekmovie.com that Marvel Studios is trying to get Matthew McConaughey at play Captain America for the new movie.

Marvel does know that Captain America wears a costume and does not walk around shirtless right? Plus, isn't Matthew a little too old to play this character for a 2011 release?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Clearly our superheroes are getting older as their original baby boomer audience ages. Hence Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark, and not Leo DiCaprio or Ashton Kutcher. Edward Norton as the Hulk, etc.

It will quickly end up that Christian Bale (34) is one of our younger superheroes on film.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Midshipman

I have no problems with an older guy playing Captain America, I'm not a huge comic book reader, but isn't he supposed to be pretty old anyway? Iron Man worked very well, with a similarly aged guy, I actually prefer it.

My only problem with the movie would be the costume. I really don't see how they could do a live action Captain America costume and not have the costume look silly or by doing an X-men, and just giving him black leather.. which would look like some weird version of Batman. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Lieutenant

Cap isn't young...

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Clearly our superheroes are getting older as their original baby boomer audience ages. Hence Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark, and not Leo DiCaprio or Ashton Kutcher. Edward Norton as the Hulk, etc.

It will quickly end up that Christian Bale (34) is one of our younger superheroes on film.
Lets be honest...Young often means less experienced. The younger actors frequently don't do justice with the roles they're give. It think the older actors in X men and Iron man made these sucessful.

Let's say Spiderman was supposed to be young.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post

Well I allways had the impression Stark wasn't a real young guy in the comics.

Neither was Bruce Banner in the Hulk. Even on the TV, show David Banner was portayed as a not so young guy.

Reed Richards and Ben Grimm of the FF were not young guys either.

I feel it is more of a keeping iof the charaters within the age ranges they were portrayed in the comics.

Even Bale as Batman is young only because this is the very start of Wayne as the crimefighting Batman. (Also enures that he could play him for a long time if the movies stay hits.)