The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Star Trek IX: Insurrection
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
To me, Insurrection, just like Generations and First Contact, felt like a decent two-part episode.

The story did have something to say in the way of "forced relocation" of a group of people, and perhaps, to some extent "ethnic cleansing".

The humor in it was good, if a bit blatant (ala ST V:TFF), but not quite over the top as TFF.

This is the beginning of Worf being relegated to the comic-relief role...a role that sadly would be continued in Nemesis.

Still not sure what to think of the "flight stick" that was mysteriously installed in the bridge.

The story was decent. The acting was on par with typical TNG material. The special effects were good, even though they did look like stuff that could've easily been produced for television.

(personal opinions only)
That is the kindest words I have heard used about the film.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Old 08-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ohh, don't bash the 'Insurrection' freak in here but I found it lovely. The only annoying things IMO were the Riker maneuver, Anij (just compare Picard's romance to his friendship with Lilly) and the Klingon pimple.
Apart from that, it is an essential ST story with a great Picard dialogue in the very middle of the movie. "How many does it take Admiral before it become wrong?" He did not get such great lines in any other TNG movie. Afterwards he detaches the pins from his uniform, now don't tell me this did not give you the chills.
How often does it happen in the real world that some institution, be it a government or a firm, cooperates with some "petty thugs" believing they could use them for their good intentions not considering getting backstabbed?

And if you consider Insurrection in the context of FC and Nemesis, it was perfect to have a more happy and lite movie in between. No 'potential Earth annihilation scenario' like in the other two.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Ohh, don't bash the 'Insurrection' freak in here but I found it lovely. The only annoying things IMO were the Riker maneuver, Anij (just compare Picard's romance to his friendship with Lilly) and the Klingon pimple.
Apart from that, it is an essential ST story with a great Picard dialogue in the very middle of the movie. "How many does it take Admiral before it become wrong?" He did not get such great lines in any other TNG movie. Afterwards he detaches the pins from his uniform, now don't tell me this did not give you the chills.
How often does it happen in the real world that some institution, be it a government or a firm, cooperates with some "petty thugs" believing they could use them for their good intentions not considering getting backstabbed?

And if you consider Insurrection in the context of FC and Nemesis, it was perfect to have a more happy and lite movie in between. No 'potential Earth annihilation scenario' like in the other two.
But can go with Picard having a romance with a woman who looks age approriate for him. The "Riker manuver" made a lame film go down into just dumbness.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But can go with Picard having a romance with a woman who looks age approriate for him. The "Riker manuver" made a lame film go down into just dumbness.
Wait, she looked like 40 but was 300+ years old

PAPARAZZI ALERT:Unlike his character, Stewart does not seem to go for age approprriate women:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/13/on-h...ging-and-more/
Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
that joystick thing was funny though
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Wait, she looked like 40 but was 300+ years old

PAPARAZZI ALERT:Unlike his character, Stewart does not seem to go for age approprriate women:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/13/on-h...ging-and-more/
Picard like ALOT of experience in his women.

Heck as long as everybody's happy who cares if a woman or a man is older?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Federation Councillor

I think very, very deep down Insurrection had a point about it's 'at what cost....' style story but the first thing that turned me off about it was the Fountain of Youth radiation aspect. I've always found that hard to swallow, even when it's done decently. But the central idea just got lost in mundane Trek-by-numbers plot progression. Even the action scenes were curiously uninvolving. I also felt that I was watching a film that a lot of material had been cut from. I don't know why but I get tha feeling every time - that things are missing. So, though Nemesis has no fewer number of flaws, I would watch it before Insurrection.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

The "forced relocation" and "ethnic cleansing" aspects of this story were great points for Star Trek to cover.

I can't remember if I've stated this before, but just in case..... for the record, I did not find Insurrection an unenjoyable movie...it just doesn't rank very high on my Trek list.

Back to the topic....yes, "How many does it take?" is a great line for Picard. This showed the candor of the character, and his no-fear attitude in addressing a senior officer in such a manner. When it came to matters of right and wrong, rank meant nothing to Jean-Luc, and I applaud his character for that....especially considering that Picard was given the impression that the Federation Council was behind it.

Picard's faith in the Council seemed clearly shattered and thus, he removed the captain's pips from his uniform.

I also did like Riker's : "No uniform, no orders." response when Picard ordered them all to go back to their stations when he was about to leave the ship. Picard was clearly worried at that point, until Geordi clarified the group's disposition through his own personal take on the dilemma. This did show the unswerving loyalty that the crew had for Picard, as opposed to blind adherence to an Admiral, or to the perceived change in Federation policy.

Outside of the cinematic aspects I constantly refer to (and will avoid for the sake of evading the "ad nauseum" trap ) , I think one of the areas where Insurrection fell short was that we didn't really have a bad guy that most audiences could relish. The Son'a, no matter how passionately their cause seemed portrayed (especially as personified by Ru'afo and his lieutenant), probably just didn't appeal to the casual movie goer, and perhaps to many Trek fans.

In truth, I'll admit that in comparison, Shinzon's motivations in Nemesis seem rather inexplicable....and that is indeed one of the film's greatest flaws.

Respectfully,
Steve

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Rear Admiral

I consider Insurrection to be a good movie, and I still enjoy watching it. It does not, however, rank as a great movie, and cannot approach the likes of First Contact, The Wrath of Khan, or the Undiscovered Country. One of the film's weaker pointxs for me was always a lack of fluidity in the script, that is, it is somewhat choppy, as mentioned before, and it doesn't "flow". For me this choppiness really showed around the main battle scenes, with the Enterprise and Picard fighting on separated fields.

I also agree that the villains aren't very easy to focus on, partially because they were presented in two contexts; the Son'a, and the Admiral, which made it harder to see either as completely evil, or ruthless.

All in all though, it is definitely bearable to sit though, and is still entertaining.